NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 09:04 PM
lilfool
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
I would assume its 1 bulb and as it turns, it hits additional reflectors.

And sadly...everything on the Lexus site is confusing and misleading. lol
Yes it is very confusing lol thanks for the clarification. Haha

Originally Posted by cb80923
^^^^^^ agree w/ Swacer. I should have put some more clarifying data in that earlier post. I have a tall/full length mirror - you know the $10 tall mirror from Walmart - in the corner of my garage so i can see the floor & right wall from the drivers seat when I pull in / park up against the right wall, and that wall has a jutting out concrete (foundation) thing about 18 inches up the garage wall that would be detrimental to my wheels and rims if I hit it.

ANYWAY... at slower speeds, when you are in drive, and turn the steering wheel, the fog light lights up and turns out (or turns out and lights up) you can see it in a mirror if you set one up. Turn on the Fog Lights and you can see it even better... the lit fog light turns outwards. Maybe I will try to video it this weekend if no one else does.
I think I get the concept now but if u ever do a video it would be cool too. Thanks a bunch!

Now my other question refers to the auto leveling... Does the triple beam LED auto level?
Old 01-16-15, 11:12 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LED Cornering Lights Mystery Solved

LED Cornering Lights Mystery Solved:

Much like the Triple Bean LED Headlights - the upgraded LED Fog lights on the F-Sport also has 3 "reflective" areas (Front, Middle, and Rear). Easy to see if you get down on your knees and look UP and into the Fog light area. Each of these reflective areas has 1 high powered SMD LED, and I do mean high powered. Each of these LEDs is on the roof of the housing and shines DOWNWARDS into the reflective areas it seems.

When the Fog lights are on the rear LED is on and projects the light forward, when you turn the wheel the middle and front LEDs come on as well and reflect light out to the sides more.

When the Fog lights are off and you turn the wheel at slow speeds or a stop, it seems again like the middle and front LEDs come on and project light out to the sides.

I did take a video, it is pretty apparent to see what is happening per my explanation above, but really it is seeing 3 blobs of light come on and off due to the camera not being able to focus and the intensity of the light.

Works in Park or in Drive (not sure about Reverse at this time).

Here is a picture of one of the SMD LEDs (while turned off), all 3 look the same..

Last edited by cb80923; 01-16-15 at 11:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TorontoIS (09-24-17)
Old 01-16-15, 01:39 PM
lilfool
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cb80923
LED Cornering Lights Mystery Solved:

Much like the Triple Bean LED Headlights - the upgraded LED Fog lights on the F-Sport also has 3 "reflective" areas (Front, Middle, and Rear). Easy to see if you get down on your knees and look UP and into the Fog light area. Each of these reflective areas has 1 high powered SMD LED, and I do mean high powered. Each of these LEDs is on the roof of the housing and shines DOWNWARDS into the reflective areas it seems.

When the Fog lights are on the rear LED is on and projects the light forward, when you turn the wheel the middle and front LEDs come on as well and reflect light out to the sides more.

When the Fog lights are off and you turn the wheel at slow speeds or a stop, it seems again like the middle and front LEDs come on and project light out to the sides.

I did take a video, it is pretty apparent to see what is happening per my explanation above, but really it is seeing 3 blobs of light come on and off due to the camera not being able to focus and the intensity of the light.

Works in Park or in Drive (not sure about Reverse at this time).

Here is a picture of one of the SMD LEDs (while turned off), all 3 look the same..

YOU'RE AWESOME BUDDY! Great clarification I see what you're talking about now! Thanks for the write up
Old 01-16-15, 03:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

cb80923. Makes sense and consistent with my own experience. Thanks for the detailed closeup shot to unravel the mystery.

EDIT: lilfool, The triple L LED headlamps don't auto-level when you start the car like the RX does.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-16-15 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-16-15, 04:55 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
cb80923. Makes sense and consistent with my own experience. Thanks for the detailed closeup shot to unravel the mystery.

EDIT: lilfool, The triple L LED headlamps don't auto-level when you start the car like the RX does.
Can you swap the LED bulb? I have a buddy who owns a LED company and Id love to put a stronger LED in.
Old 01-16-15, 09:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Firewall Felt

Nicely finished thick felt-like material along the engine's firewall. This most certainly contributes to the engine's minimal noise intruding into the cabin.
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_firewall.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_firewall1.jpg  
Old 01-17-15, 08:11 AM
DenM54
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One nice thing I noticed. There is a nice soft carpet/felt material that lines the inside of the inner door handles. While not technically needed, it really shows off the attention to detail.

Old 01-17-15, 08:19 AM
DenM54
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

I was finally able to get the Enform Remote application activated. So far it has worked really well.

One interesting thing that I came across that I am not sure how many people know , after having the Enform Remote activated, you can then use Key FOB to also remotely start your vehicle. It is funny Lexus does not really mention this or promote it.

You simply press the "Lock" button three times and on the third press you just hold the button down until you see the lights flash an additional time. The car will then start a few seconds later.

Comes in handy now and then when you don't want to use the phone app. So far I have tested it up to 50-60 feet away and it has worked without issue.

Here is an actual Lexus link that explains it as well...enjoy...
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...ADG-0087-D.pdf

-Dennis
Old 01-17-15, 12:35 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DenM54
I was finally able to get the Enform Remote application activated. So far it has worked really well.

One interesting thing that I came across that I am not sure how many people know , after having the Enform Remote activated, you can then use Key FOB to also remotely start your vehicle. It is funny Lexus does not really mention this or promote it.

You simply press the "Lock" button three times and on the third press you just hold the button down until you see the lights flash an additional time. The car will then start a few seconds later.

Comes in handy now and then when you don't want to use the phone app. So far I have tested it up to 50-60 feet away and it has worked without issue.

Here is an actual Lexus link that explains it as well...enjoy...
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...ADG-0087-D.pdf

-Dennis
A great find !
Old 01-17-15, 05:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thumbs up Cargo Subfloor and Performance Damper Details

The cargo's subfloor is very nicely finished and reminds me a lot of the RX's. What surprised me though was the grated window displaying the " LEXUS YAMAHA PERFORMANCE DAMPER" plate. Beautiful detail.
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_subfloor1.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_subfloor2.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_subfloor3.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_subfloor4.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-nx_subfloor5.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-17-15 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-17-15, 08:21 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The cargo's subfloor is very nicely finished and reminds me a lot of the RX's. What surprised me though was the grated window displaying the " LEXUS YAMAHA PERFORMANCE DAMPER" plate. Beautiful detail.
Great discovery. I like the labels as it makes the pictures even more meaningful. From your picture, there is more storage under the trunk floor than what RX has which is an improvement.
Old 01-20-15, 03:54 PM
swoo350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sosobri805
+1

My heart dropped when i heard the rattling on my first day with the NX, but it is true the license plate frame is the main cause. Once solved I had my bass and mid's bumped up and the rattling was gone, music to my ears.
what did you do to solve this? screws on the bottom license plate as well?
Old 01-26-15, 09:20 PM
sosobri805
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swoo350
what did you do to solve this? screws on the bottom license plate as well?
I actually watched a youtube video for a DIY idea. I used some adhesive sound dampening material and rubber adhesive and applied it to the back the license plate frame. Did wonders for the final outcome. Here is the video:

Old 01-26-15, 09:29 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sosobri805
I actually watched a youtube video for a DIY idea. I used some adhesive sound dampening material and rubber adhesive and applied it to the back the license plate frame. Did wonders for the final outcome. Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RWmc9rMUWs
I don't own a NX but after reading the issue some NX owners have regarding the rattle of the license plate, I didn't have a clue until this video you presented.

Actually I have been doing a similar mod for my IS and RX --- my method is simpler (and probably less thorough) --- I simply put the door foam weatherstripping which back adhesive that you can get from any hardware store. I put only the strips on the top and bottom of the license plate.

My motivation was not to solve the rattle issue but to prevent the sharp edges of the license plate from getting in contact with the license plate area on the trunk as minor scratches would occur over time. And I like to take off the license plate during hand car wash.
Old 01-26-15, 10:24 PM
Mehul1456
Driver School Candidate

Default Upgrading Sound system

Does anyone know the location/size of the subwoofer on the 10 speaker system?

Also what are everyone's thoughts on upgrading the speakers. I was thinking of replacing with JBL Power series speakers ( and an amp under the front seat of in the spare tire area)through out. It kinda sucks that all the speaker sizes are in cm instead if inches. I imagine this discrepancy will call for adapters for installation of new speakers.

Quick Reply: NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)