NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 06:46 AM
naplesam
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hud

Noticed in your "tech" section that the NX HUD is improved over the RX version. That is good, but are they still charging a fortune for it? What is the MSRP for HUD? It was $1200 on the RX I have and the 2013 RX version is under-featured as compared to the HUD on a 2007 GMC Acadia I had.
Old 01-12-15, 08:57 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by naplesam
Noticed in your "tech" section that the NX HUD is improved over the RX version. That is good, but are they still charging a fortune for it? What is the MSRP for HUD? It was $1200 on the RX I have and the 2013 RX version is under-featured as compared to the HUD on a 2007 GMC Acadia I had.
In the US, we do not get the HUD. Its a major disappointment for me, because I have my HUD on in the Camaro all the time.
Old 01-12-15, 02:04 PM
naplesam
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hud

Originally Posted by Swacer
In the US, we do not get the HUD. Its a major disappointment for me, because I have my HUD on in the Camaro all the time.
Thanks! That explains why I couldn't find any info on it.
Old 01-13-15, 10:57 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

the turbo idle wind down period and the 91 octane requirements are souring me a little bit. also the old maxim - "Never buy the first generation of anything - especially cars - let them work out the bugs first."
Old 01-14-15, 05:14 PM
lilfool
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
+1. There's an additional area on the side of the fog light that lights up to brighten up the road around the corner.
2 questions for you corradoMR2..
1. Does this mean that there are two LED bulbs in the fog light housing? One for the fog lights, the other for the cornering feature or just one? i assume if you have the fog lights on, the cornering feature wouldn't kick on since the fogs are set to come on with the regular lamps..

2. Speaking of headlights, with the triple beam LED lights, just like your previous RX has done, do it auto level themselves as well? (Meaning when you start up the vehicle, the lights do a self check by moving up and down then back to the normal position).
Old 01-14-15, 06:42 PM
ALE81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lilfool
2 questions for you corradoMR2..
1. Does this mean that there are two LED bulbs in the fog light housing? One for the fog lights, the other for the cornering feature or just one? i assume if you have the fog lights on, the cornering feature wouldn't kick on since the fogs are set to come on with the regular lamps..

2. Speaking of headlights, with the triple beam LED lights, just like your previous RX has done, do it auto level themselves as well? (Meaning when you start up the vehicle, the lights do a self check by moving up and down then back to the normal position).
Speaking of headlights. I don't have my NX yet but I ordered it with the triple beam LED's. I wanted HID lights since they first came out 15 years ago so I finally got them on my 14 RX. Now I hate them. The cutoff is too low. We have a lot of twisty, country roads around here and I can't stand driving those roads with the HID's. I have to really slow down as I can't see upcoming curves soon enough if I am unable to use my high beams. On the other hand if I drive my daughter's 14 Corolla equipped with LED low beams I have no problem at all. The cutoff on the LED's seems identical to regular incandescent lights plus you get that nice white color of the HID. It's either LED's or incandescent for me from now on.
Old 01-14-15, 06:57 PM
lilfool
Rookie

Originally Posted by ALE81
Speaking of headlights. I don't have my NX yet but I ordered it with the triple beam LED's. I wanted HID lights since they first came out 15 years ago so I finally got them on my 14 RX. Now I hate them. The cutoff is too low. We have a lot of twisty, country roads around here and I can't stand driving those roads with the HID's. I have to really slow down as I can't see upcoming curves soon enough if I am unable to use my high beams. On the other hand if I drive my daughter's 14 Corolla equipped with LED low beams I have no problem at all. The cutoff on the LED's seems identical to regular incandescent lights plus you get that nice white color of the HID. It's either LED's or incandescent for me from now on.
haha i understand. Down here in Miami, we don't have that problem with the country roads, and we have a lot of city lights (which is probably why many people forget to turn on their lights on at night and don't realize it) so i can see why you don't like them... We have the 13 RXF sport as well.
Old 01-14-15, 09:54 PM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From lexus.com - NX - Features - Safety

Old 01-15-15, 04:06 AM
lilfool
Rookie

Originally Posted by cb80923
From lexus.com - NX - Features - Safety

Soooooo does this mean it's only one bulb but they rotate by themselves to the direction of the turn? Lol I read that already on Lexus website but I felt it was misleading the concept of what the actual foglights do when you make a turn or activity the turn signal. Lol
Old 01-15-15, 05:56 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lilfool
Soooooo does this mean it's only one bulb but they rotate by themselves to the direction of the turn? Lol I read that already on Lexus website but I felt it was misleading the concept of what the actual foglights do when you make a turn or activity the turn signal. Lol
I would assume its 1 bulb and as it turns, it hits additional reflectors.

And sadly...everything on the Lexus site is confusing and misleading. lol
Old 01-15-15, 09:23 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^^ agree w/ Swacer. I should have put some more clarifying data in that earlier post. I have a tall/full length mirror - you know the $10 tall mirror from Walmart - in the corner of my garage so i can see the floor & right wall from the drivers seat when I pull in / park up against the right wall, and that wall has a jutting out concrete (foundation) thing about 18 inches up the garage wall that would be detrimental to my wheels and rims if I hit it.

(((( UPDATE: this is incorrect - it is 3 SMD LEDs - see later post in this string )))) ANYWAY... at slower speeds, when you are in drive, and turn the steering wheel, the fog light lights up and turns out (or turns out and lights up) you can see it in a mirror if you set one up. Turn on the Fog Lights and you can see it even better... the lit fog light turns outwards. Maybe I will try to video it this weekend if no one else does.

Last edited by cb80923; 01-16-15 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-15-15, 03:06 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Things I discovered when reading the manual inside the NX in the dealership the other day --

1. If you do need to use a floor jack to raise the car from the back, there is a plate you need to unbolt before use. The picture doesn't say it is plastic or metal.

Without knowing it, car shops would have problem in finding the right spot.

I guess this is another pursuit of perfection and maximum aesthetics, as well as some improvement of air flow??

Sorry no picture was taken. It is in Chapter 7 Maintenance and Care.

2. The attention to details paid when designing the door padding -- very thoughtful about the position.

3. Lexus has changed the way the rubber seal/lining is assembled/designed in the door opening area --- they switch from "over plastic" to tube- like. It is adjustment from IS and RC when they change the shape of the door scuff plate. I find this new design won't have the problem of pinching which I observe in some 3IS and RC/RC-F.

Old 01-15-15, 04:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Nice finds AndyL. I'll check them out more closely.
Old 01-15-15, 04:37 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Nice finds AndyL. I'll check them out more closely.
No problem.

The cover for the rear floor jack position is easily to be missed by most people unless they take the time to read the manual, and spotted the stuff in Chapter 7.
Old 01-15-15, 04:57 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
No problem.

The cover for the rear floor jack position is easily to be missed by most people unless they take the time to read the manual, and spotted the stuff in Chapter 7.
I probably would have lifted it from the side. Glad you pointed this out. It's on p 489.

Quick Reply: NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)