NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-15, 12:55 PM
1811Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does the "button" underneath the gas pedal do? When depressing the gas pedal all the way, it meets resistance, which you can push trough and it feels like a button is being pushed in with a click.

I used to have it on my non-turbo BMW 528, but it was many years ago and I can't remember what it did. Anyone knows?
Old 04-10-15, 01:47 PM
p0c1
Driver School Candidate

Default Auto Headlight software bug??

Anyone tried these - my car is parked on a basement,

1. Headlights was previously set to auto (from previous driving) and the cars locked.
2. Unlock and open the door from front passenger side
3. Sit on the front passenger side
4. press the start/stop engine button 3 times,
- 1st to accesorise mode
- 2nd to drive mode - (headlights on, engine not on/started)
- 3rd time to turn off the car (headlights still on)
5. Get off the car from the front passenger door and close the door
6. Lock the car from touching the door handle on the front passenger door
7. Headlights are still on (rear as well).....................not turning off at all.

Unless open the driver door (headlights off straight away)

Could it be a bug on the auto set-up?

Thanks
Old 04-10-15, 06:17 PM
tkwak
Driver School Candidate

Default NX 300h Proximity Alert

Hey guys so I was just browsing through the safety features on the Lexus site for the NX and noted that apparently the NX 300h will sound an alert at low speeds with a speaker in the front bumper? Can anyone take a video of this, that would be interesting to see in action. Or simply verify that it works, I've never heard of this feature for the NX. Heres what it says on the site:
VEHICLE PROXIMITY NOTIFICATION SYSTEM

To help notify pedestrians and cyclists of your approach when moving at low speeds or in EV mode,14* this system15* emits a tone from a speaker mounted near the front bumper.
Standard On:NX 300h
Old 04-10-15, 06:48 PM
Xtino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tkwak

Hey guys so I was just browsing through the safety features on the Lexus site for the NX and noted that apparently the NX 300h will sound an alert at low speeds with a speaker in the front bumper? Can anyone take a video of this, that would be interesting to see in action. Or simply verify that it works, I've never heard of this feature for the NX. Heres what it says on the site:

To help notify pedestrians and cyclists of your approach when moving at low speeds or in EV mode,14* this system15* emits a tone from a speaker mounted near the front bumper.
interesting I have the 300h and didn't know about it, time to go and read the manual or maybe is just exclusive in some areas like Europe?
Old 04-10-15, 07:10 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't have a 300h, but I thought this became standard for Hybrids/Electric vehicles as people were walking right in front of these, thinking that there's no way they might move as they can't hear the engine, or they might walk out into the street while looking down at their phones and getting hit as they didn't hear a car coming. So it's an artificial vroom vroom. I don't know the exact sound it makes.
Old 04-10-15, 07:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by 1811Lexus
What does the "button" underneath the gas pedal do? When depressing the gas pedal all the way, it meets resistance, which you can push trough and it feels like a button is being pushed in with a click.

I used to have it on my non-turbo BMW 528, but it was many years ago and I can't remember what it did. Anyone knows?
I believe this is what Lexus refers to as the "kickdown" feature that apparently is supposed to give you maximum acceleration.

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...oduct+news.htm
Old 04-10-15, 08:18 PM
1811Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I believe this is what Lexus refers to as the "kickdown" feature that apparently is supposed to give you maximum acceleration.

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...oduct+news.htm
Hmmm... I see the "kickdown" switch mentioned in the article, but in reference to a hybrid... Mine's F-Sport...

"A kick-down switch in the hybrid, which, as in conventional vehicles, ensures maximum power is delivered when required."

Strange... I'll see if I can get a picture of it and may be experiment with it. Do you have it in yours?

Just looked and picture won't show it - "the button" is built into the gas pedal assembly, but I was able to depress the pedal until it meets resistance with my hand and then with little pressure it clicks and goes further in.

Last edited by 1811Lexus; 04-10-15 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-11-15, 05:21 AM
papa214
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1811Lexus
Has anyone mentioned how awesome the touch sensitive lights are? No buttons to push, just touch the light fixture and it magically lights up.

Also, the airbag below the steering wheel at knee level!
i agree great feature.... just a swipe of the hand and they go on.... swipe again and the go off...
no buttons to fish around for in the dark. one of lifes more simple pleasures
Old 04-11-15, 05:59 AM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by p0c1

1. Headlights was previously set to auto (from previous driving) and the cars locked.
- 1st to accesorise mode
7. Headlights are still on (rear as well).....................not turning off at all.

Thanks
Whoa, very strange.

I believe there is a timer you can set in the menu for vehicle lighting, up to a maximum 30 seconds, before the lights will switch off automatically.

Maybe try hanging around for 30 seconds to see if they switch off.

I will try what you outlined, and see if the lights stay on.

I'm pretty sure most modern day vehicles offer battery run-down protection in the event lights have been left on, that they would turn off automatically after a certain period of time.
Old 04-11-15, 06:43 AM
1811Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kelmin
Whoa, very strange.

I believe there is a timer you can set in the menu for vehicle lighting, up to a maximum 30 seconds, before the lights will switch off automatically.

Maybe try hanging around for 30 seconds to see if they switch off.

I will try what you outlined, and see if the lights stay on.

I'm pretty sure most modern day vehicles offer battery run-down protection in the event lights have been left on, that they would turn off automatically after a certain period of time.
They do. I was playing with settings and had car powered up, but not started, long behold, it shut itself off with the message, "To preserve battery vehicle has been shut off", or something along those lines.
Old 04-11-15, 07:03 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

I don't have a recording of the sound, it is kind of a low humming sound when you are in EV mode or at low speeds and the car automatically puts itself in EV mode. Try it backing out of your driveway, put the windows down and listen, it isn't very loud, but it is there.

Phil
Old 04-11-15, 08:01 AM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by p0c1

- 1st to accesorise mode

Thanks
Ok, just tested this out.

Drum roll please....

All the lights switched off as per the settings I had set in the options menu.
Everything turns off after walking away from the vehicle, and waiting about 30seconds after locking the vehicle from the door handle, no matter which door handle I locked from.

May I suggest that you step away from the car, perhaps a good 10-15 feet after locking up either from the door handle or key fob.
The lights should turn off after the specified amount of time set in your vehicle operations menu.

That would make a lot of sense.

Hybrids are whisper quiet when in EV modes.

Reminds me of how cargo vans, and large trucks/or semi-trucks have the reverse back-up beeping sounds

Next time I pop by the dealer I will see if they can test this out, as I walk out in front of an NX 300h to see what it sounds like.

Last edited by Kelmin; 04-11-15 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-12-15, 08:33 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed that after I got my permanent license plates, the rear one was causing noises whenever the subwoofer kicks in. I bought two rubber washers for less than $1 which fixed the issue.
Old 04-12-15, 01:58 PM
papa214
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rdcrow
I noticed that after I got my permanent license plates, the rear one was causing noises whenever the subwoofer kicks in. I bought two rubber washers for less than $1 which fixed the issue.
ditto. i put a piece of door seal weather striping on the license plate, on each of the bottom corners.

so far so good. Its all about the base.....
Old 05-16-15, 05:12 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdcrow
Originally Posted by papa214
ditto. i put a piece of door seal weather striping on the license plate, on each of the bottom corners.

so far so good. Its all about the base.....
I'm glad I found your posts cause all that rattling was driving me crazy. i'm going to try the fix you gentleman suggested. hopefully it works. I was really thinking about putting some sound damping material in the the liftgate or even changing the subwoofer.

Quick Reply: NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)