NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-15, 08:26 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to disagree with Swacer and Corrado on this, I have had my 2006 Prius since 2006 and the forum I used to go to for that car has recommended running the tire pressure at 40 fro the fronts and 42 for the rears with the recommended pressure listed on the doors a 32 for both front and rear.

I have not seen any noticeable wear difference on my tires, 3rd set now at 136,000+ miles like you indicate. If anything, keeping them at those levels has caused them to wear more on the outside treads rather than the insides. I know that seems off, but it has happened on all 3 sets of tires I have had that way.

I am not saying that running at 40/42 is the thing to do with the NX, as the NX and Prius are 2 totally different vehicles. But, I don't think you are going to see the type of wear that you are talking about for most people, and I do think that the MPG gain is worth it.

That being said I agree you are sacrificing something to gain the MPGs and that is safety as I don't disagree at all that by putting more air pressure in the tires that you are decreasing the rolling resistance and in my mind less rubber contacting the road and therefore less gripping power to the road.

Why my tires haven't worn in a way with what you would expect on my Prius, I can't explain that, but I do like the added MPGs I get for that car.

I never recommend that others go against what the manufacturer lists for tires, as they have obviously done testing and know what works best for the car. But I did want to at least share my personal experience with others so they can decide for themselves what is best for them and their car.

Phil
Old 03-03-15, 06:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by philwojo
I have to disagree with Swacer and Corrado on this, I have had my 2006 Prius since 2006 and the forum I used to go to for that car has recommended running the tire pressure at 40 fro the fronts and 42 for the rears with the recommended pressure listed on the doors a 32 for both front and rear.

I have not seen any noticeable wear difference on my tires, 3rd set now at 136,000+ miles like you indicate.

I never recommend that others go against what the manufacturer lists for tires, as they have obviously done testing and know what works best for the car. But I did want to at least share my personal experience with others so they can decide for themselves what is best for them and their car.

Phil
Hard to argue experience! You're probably right that a few PSI may not be that visible from a wear standpoint but the consensus is overinflation leads to greater wear in the center of the tires. However, the question is by how much, which size, and which brand of tire, all play a factor here. Best thing as you stated too is stick to manufacturer's recommendation stamped on the inside of the driver's door.
Old 03-04-15, 04:06 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Hard to argue experience! You're probably right that a few PSI may not be that visible from a wear standpoint but the consensus is overinflation leads to greater wear in the center of the tires. However, the question is by how much, which size, and which brand of tire, all play a factor here. Best thing as you stated too is stick to manufacturer's recommendation stamped on the inside of the driver's door.
I've always been told that over inflated tires add to more wear and tear on front end parts.
Over inflation goes beyond just tire wear. So I guess the question still is...what is over inflation !
Old 03-05-15, 03:31 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4482
I've always been told that over inflated tires add to more wear and tear on front end parts.
Over inflation goes beyond just tire wear. So I guess the question still is...what is over inflation !
I don't know of any front end parts that would wear further because of over inflated tires. Your front geometry is still the same. Perhaps it would be harder on the ball joints because the tires don't "soften" the blow of hitting holes, and perhaps the same can be said for the shocks, but I don't that being 10psi over is going to impact those THAT much?

And really, this tire pressure thing is going to be about the same as the regular v. premium thing. Its going to be a back and forward. I always keep with the tire presure that that door tells me when I'm on OEM tires and wheels. Only different would be my camaro, I run about 2psi low in the rear to help me with my wheel hop issues.

Last edited by Swacer; 03-05-15 at 04:41 AM.
Old 03-05-15, 06:31 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
I don't know of any front end parts that would wear further because of over inflated tires. Your front geometry is still the same. Perhaps it would be harder on the ball joints because the tires don't "soften" the blow of hitting holes, and perhaps the same can be said for the shocks, but I don't that being 10psi over is going to impact those THAT much?

And really, this tire pressure thing is going to be about the same as the regular v. premium thing. Its going to be a back and forward. I always keep with the tire presure that that door tells me when I'm on OEM tires and wheels. Only different would be my camaro, I run about 2psi low in the rear to help me with my wheel hop issues.
Yes you're right, over-inflation is harder on ball joints and shocks. If you live in an area of rough roads...or pot holes like I do, over-inflated tires will make matters much worse in a shorter period of time.
Of course those that live in the southern states, like Florida, won't have the problem as soon if at all with front end parts. Over-all I think it best to follow the manufactures recommendation for the very best front end and tire service.
Old 03-06-15, 01:22 PM
jalford999
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love my black NX300. Note one problem that I have had on the steering wheel controls. About 15 times in the six weeks that I have my new suv I have accidently hit the left controls and changed the radio stations. Sometimes I also hit the phone button. I never had the problem in my recent other Lexus's. I guess the buttons stick out a little bit more and the driver will accidently hit them while driving. Anyway still love the vehicle.
Old 03-07-15, 04:54 AM
scarecrow2
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation Day Screen Always On Missing

Recently during a trip I found the Navigation going into night screen mode when I placed the lights on and the sky was heavily over casted. The manual says there is a setting for placing the navigation in daytime mode. This setting is under the display menu button. This is missing in my NX as it only has the screen off mode displayed. Does anyone have an idea on how to keep the display in daytime mode? The very dark nighttime mode is hard to see at times.

Old 03-07-15, 05:17 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by scarecrow2
Recently during a trip I found the Navigation going into night screen mode when I placed the lights on and the sky was heavily over casted. The manual says there is a setting for placing the navigation in daytime mode. This setting is under the display menu button. This is missing in my NX as it only has the screen off mode displayed. Does anyone have an idea on how to keep the display in daytime mode? The very dark nighttime mode is hard to see at times.

That's really strange... you don't see this? Maybe post a pic?

NOTE: No Enform in Canada do you won't see the apps icon in my pics. I'm wonder if (and why) this would have anything to do with it...
Attached Thumbnails NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-wp_20150307_08_11_50_pro.jpg   NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-wp_20150307_08_12_08_pro.jpg  
Old 03-08-15, 05:11 AM
scarecrow2
Driver School Candidate

No I don't see the same screen. The Day Mode is missing.

Old 03-08-15, 05:13 AM
scarecrow2
Driver School Candidate

Is there a way to call up the version number of the software that's running?
It would be a way to see if mines new and the change was on purpose or not!
Old 03-08-15, 05:42 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^Mine looks just like yours scarecrow2. No Day Mode option visible.
Old 03-08-15, 05:58 AM
scarecrow2
Driver School Candidate

Now I'm wondering if it's a USA versus Canada change though it could still be a firmware version issue. Though it looks less likely.
Old 03-08-15, 06:32 AM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scarecrow2

PRO TIP:

Day Mode can ONLY be accessed when the Headlights are ON when in AUTO, to do this during the day, just cover up the light sensor
Old 03-08-15, 06:57 AM
scarecrow2
Driver School Candidate

Cool

That's, the day mode only appears on mine when the lights are manual turned on. In auto the menu disappears. When selected the NAV stays in day mode. I'm in a garage so I didn't have to cover the sensor. Now that I can get it on I need to see what happens when the engine is running.

At least this is a start, thanks again!

Old 03-08-15, 07:34 AM
scarecrow2
Driver School Candidate

There also is a difference of when the Day Mode appears. If the car is running vs. when ACC not off and if the sensors see daytime or night. The auto mode, Day Mode only appears when the engine is running.

Quick Reply: NX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)