NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Cross Country Trip Part 2 - 2500+ Hwy Miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 09:27 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cross Country Trip Part 2 - 2500+ Hwy Miles

This is a follow up to my earlier post titled "Cross Country Trip - Thoughts Observations and MPG". I traveled from Colorado Springs CO to Meridian MS (1200+ miles) and put my thoughts into that first post. My return trip (1200+ miles) from Meridian MS to Colorado Springs brought a few more things to my attention. I have a NX200T F-Sport AWD.

Windshield Wipers - I left Mississippi in some pretty bad rain and thunderstorms. I found that the right, passenger side, smaller wiper blade did not maintain contact with the windshield very well at higher speeds. down around 55mph it was ok, but higher speeds it was getting blown off the windshield I guess. At 80 it was really bad (80 and light rain).

Hood Buffeting - Maybe my eyes were just playing games with me, but it seemed that when passing big rigs, the hood would buffet. Not like it was going to pop off and blow away or anything, just like it was flimsy sort of.

Radio Lock Up - Some of you may have read my post about the Electrical Bug where the center stack, nav screen, and steering wheel controls lock up. Well it happened again on the drive home after sitting for over a week not being driven, probably 20-30min into my return trip it happened again. I pushed and held-in the radio power button as someone mentioned to do, and the system rebooted. No problems after that for the rest of the trip.

Low Fuel - Gas Recommendations - When the low fuel light comes on (seems like around 25-30 miles to go the light comes on), the NX gives you the option to show Gas Stations near by on the Nav Screen. You can then pick one and it will lead you there.

I came home when I did in order to beat a snow storm home that was moving into Colorado. The next day the Snow started falling and I had to get out in it. The NX AWD did well in the Snow and Ice. The temps were in the teens and single digits, roads had been plowed but the usual ice had built up at intersections and the roads were glazed over in spots. No spinning of tires or sliding really, but it did feel lighter and less stable than my previous 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD, but nothing terrible, it is a lighter vehicle after all.

AWD - While out driving in the snow and ice I put the NX in AWD Lock mode. There is a little button at the left knee to turn it on. Well it kept going off after a few minutes. Now that I have looked at the Manual, it says that it will return to normal driving mode when the vehicle exceeds 25mph or the brake is pressed.

The SEAT I wrote a lot about the seat in the first post (F-SPORT SEAT). Well it tried to kill me on the first part of my trip. If this were not a family web site I would post a picture of the bruise on my right hip. Again, have a size 33 waist and the seat fits like a glove and is very comfy for around town driving, but after sitting in that seat for a few hours (and over 18 hours one way for my trip), my right hip started hurting. It seemed like a piece of metal or heavy plastic was pushing up into my hip bone (it was not the top of the seat bolster, my butt is down in the seat, so that whatever seemed to be bothering my hip is down in there, not at the top of the bolster. ANYWAY, $6 and 2 pieces of Walmart Craft Foam... the drive home was much much better. However, buying a $45K Lexus should not have to be supplemented with foam for long trips to be comfy!!! As I mentioned before, if I could get the F-Sport Model with a luxury seat, I would. I have even been thinking about asking the dealer about getting luxury seats put in. I am sure it would cost an arm and a leg.

Gas Mileage - I go with the flow and then some on long trips (80-85mph). See the chart below for my MPG over 2500+ miles on the highway. I say again, it seems that the lower octane gas got the best gas mileage, but I was also driving from NM into Colorado at higher altitudes. The NX computer always showed better MPG than my gas app and my manual calculations.

I am sure I will think of more and update this post later...

Last edited by cb80923; 12-30-14 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 09:49 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for the writeup
Old 12-30-14, 09:53 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

...I appreciate your time & effort!
Old 12-30-14, 11:20 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=cb80923;8845727] As I mentioned before, if I could get the F-Sport Model with a luxury seat, I would. I have even been thinking about asking the dealer about getting luxury seats put in. I am sure it would cost an arm and a leg.
/QUOTE]

if you do decide to do this let me know how it goes! my wife may tolerate the seats for a short period in my 3IS F Sport, but hates it after more than 20-30 mins. if only they put the luxury seats in the F Sport, then my world would be whole and i can get the NX F Sport!

...but then again i can get the Acura MDX SH-AWD with tech package for around the same price as the NX... hm...
Old 12-30-14, 01:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Your fuel economy is pretty good overall.

The NX AWD F Sport is rated at 22/27/24 in the EPA estimates. It should improve as the miles increase, although it sounds like you've already driven it hard on your trip so it may be broken in already.
Old 12-30-14, 05:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Cb80923: I totally agree with you on the seat bottom bolster and PAIN. I feel the right bolster pressing in on my right thigh and after several minutes of driving, it becomes bothersome. It is firmer than the IS for sure.

What I'm doing to attempt to mitigate this issue is press against it with my hand as I'm seated to "soften" it up. It may be my imagination, but it seems to be working. Like any foam sofa, cushion, etc, eventually it will soften up.
Old 12-31-14, 05:43 PM
jalford999
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

CB80923; Concerning the AWD. Are you stating that the AWD will disengage at 25 miles per hour. That doesn't make sense to me. The prior AWD lexus that had some time ago did not do this. If all the new Lexus disengage the AWD at 25mph of when you touch the brake, why have it. Could anyone else chime in on this please?????
Old 12-31-14, 05:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by jalford999
CB80923; Concerning the AWD. Are you stating that the AWD will disengage at 25 miles per hour. That doesn't make sense to me. The prior AWD lexus that had some time ago did not do this. If all the new Lexus disengage the AWD at 25mph of when you touch the brake, why have it. Could anyone else chime in on this please?????
That's only when you force the 4-wheel lock (button on the bottom left dash). It will disengage at 25 mph however, AWD is still available and is automatically engaged as wheel slippage is detected. Of course, VSC and TRAC work in sync with the AWD. It's the same with the RX.
Old 12-31-14, 08:02 PM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^ what Corrado said. I knew AWD was still available and would push power to the reader wheels if need be (thus AWD and not 4WD) - just the "Lock" turns off after 25mph or breaking if you have previously turned the AWD Lock on. The Manual says AWD Lock would be for starting from a stopped position in a muddy situation, overly icey situation, and it said a couple others.