NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Anyone trade their RX 350 for NX?

Old 12-27-14, 03:00 PM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Anyone trade their RX 350 for NX?

I have a 2013 RX 350 and have been tempted to trade it in for the NX 200t. Has anyone made this trade or thinking about it?
Old 12-27-14, 05:08 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I would follow corradoMR2. He has posted many helpful comments on his shopping and replacing his RX with an NX. He has a recent post of his RX all washed and ready for a new owner on Monday when he picks up his new baby.
Ray A.

Last edited by raylor4; 12-28-14 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-27-14, 05:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

^^^ haha Thanks Ray.

Indeed I've traded my '13 RX F-Sport and picking up the NX 200t F-Sport Monday. Main reasons:

1. It's right-sized for my family (wife, nine and ten year old). 3RX has always been just a touch big.
2. It's better on gas.
3. More features/tech over our RX for less. NX we got is loaded including HUD, RCTA/parking sensors, pre-collision,dynamic radar cruise, AVS, wireless phone charger, and so on.
4. Love the aggressive sporty styling! Plus, it's timely since I like to change into a new Lexus every couple years or so and was anticipating the NX back when first concrete rumors surfaced in early 2012! (If anyone remembers, the "CX" moniker was talked about until "NX was registered in October '12).
5. Anticipating a sportier, more nimble drive at the small expense of ride comfort.
6. Improved ergonomics and controls (i.e. dedicated A/C button and windshield de-icer on the NX vs navigating over some menus in the RX).

And... most importantly, my wife loves the styling, both in and out (happy wife, happy life )

You don't want to trade your RX if:

1. You need the largest cargo capacity.
2. You need to carry often in full comfort in the rear: three full-size adults, three child seats, or a combination of these. (NX is two inches narrower with 1 inch less headroom at the rear.)
3. You like softer seating and a softer, slightly more quiet ride.

I'll be sure to post more objective and comparative comments once I get the NX. If you have any specific questions, feel free to post and I or anyone else will be glad to help answer them.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-27-14 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-28-14, 05:16 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with all points by Corrado above. Just myself and the wife and we've been waiting for the NX.

We are currently leasing a 2012 RX and only have about 13k miles on it. Will trade when the time is right since we'll have some equity due to low mileage.

Size is more appropriate for us and improved driving dynamics and tech are most welcome!
Old 12-28-14, 05:21 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x
We are currently leasing a 2012 RX and only have about 13k miles on it. Will trade when the time is right since we'll have some equity due to low mileage.
Same with our RX. Due to the low mileage, I asked for and got equity back which was used as a downpayment on the NX.
Old 12-28-14, 05:26 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus is also offering to cover the final 3 lease payments for most leases. this is about the only 'incentive' available right now.

I did see $500-$600 off non-sport NX's on the lot. F-sport was full MSRP on the floor - tag specifically stated no discount.

I'm thinking I will be able to get something due to loyalty -5th Lexus leased through this dealer or I will just wait.

Lexus also allows (typically) a month to month lease extension for most people. If you want to wait for deals and have a lease ending soon you could always try this option.
Old 12-29-14, 09:13 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts

We were going to do that, but after test driving the NX, decided to stick with the RX. This will be our "big" car. we have a small 4 cylinder car for my daily commute to work. The NX just felt underpowered and tight inside. Was hoping for more, but was disappointed. I think it likely the NX will come with a V6 one day, just as the RDX went from a turbo 4 to a V6.
Old 12-30-14, 07:32 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
We were going to do that, but after test driving the NX, decided to stick with the RX. This will be our "big" car. we have a small 4 cylinder car for my daily commute to work. The NX just felt underpowered and tight inside. Was hoping for more, but was disappointed. I think it likely the NX will come with a V6 one day, just as the RDX went from a turbo 4 to a V6.
If it's the V6 that is in the GS and IS it has been around since 2006, and there are no indications Lexus is going to change that. Decent power, but nothing to write home about. Also, I'm not sure Lexus will move to a V6 since the Germans have been going the other way. My '09 Audi A5 had a V6. They quickly replaced that with a 4 cylinder turbo and the V6 is no longer available. Same with BMW, replacing the straight six with a 4 cylinder turbo. It all boils down to CAFE standards, so don't hold your breath.
Old 12-31-14, 09:41 PM
nx200tmb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea...one of my relatives wanted to trade in a virtually brand new 2013 RX350 for the nx200t... I think that's just insane.

The first 2 years of the car ownership is the MOST expensive by far due to depreciation. You would have to filthy rich or don't give a care about financial responsibility to trade in a less than 2 year old Lexus for another Lexus... just insane.
Old 01-01-15, 12:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
If it's the V6 that is in the GS and IS it has been around since 2006, and there are no indications Lexus is going to change that. Decent power, but nothing to write home about. Also, I'm not sure Lexus will move to a V6 since the Germans have been going the other way. My '09 Audi A5 had a V6. They quickly replaced that with a 4 cylinder turbo and the V6 is no longer available. Same with BMW, replacing the straight six with a 4 cylinder turbo. It all boils down to CAFE standards, so don't hold your breath.
most likely due to model differentiation between NX and RX as well. Also, NX and RX are about same speed, so difference comes from the "feel" and not actual numbers.

New/Upcoming RX should be quicker on highway since it "should" have at least 8%-10% more power throughout the powerband due to D4S.
Old 01-01-15, 05:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by nx200tmb
Yea...one of my relatives wanted to trade in a virtually brand new 2013 RX350 for the nx200t... I think that's just insane.

The first 2 years of the car ownership is the MOST expensive by far due to depreciation. You would have to filthy rich or don't give a care about financial responsibility to trade in a less than 2 year old Lexus for another Lexus... just insane.
My 2-year lease ended and I gave in my 2013 RX for the NX.

A car purchase is an expense, not an investment, and for some getting into a new car every couple years (like me) is part of their lifestyle much like for others money is spent on smoking, drinking, and often eating out (not me). At the end of the day, you don't need to be super well off to own a Lexus nowadays if you save up for one.
Old 01-01-15, 07:00 PM
nx200tmb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

A car purchase is an expense, not an investment, and for some getting into a new car every couple years (like me) is part of their lifestyle much like for others money is spent on smoking, drinking, and often eating out (not me). At the end of the day, you don't need to be super well off to own a Lexus nowadays if you save up for one.
A lease make sense if you own a business and can write it off.

I use to work in finance and audit banks that financed the dealers and their leases. It was a huge money maker.

For the average person, buying a reliable vehicle like the Lexus and keeping it for 5 - 10 years would be a smart money move. The Lexus is reliable beyond the warranty period. So buying it only for a year or two is not the most financially wise move.

It's your money, so you're free to spend as you please. But for me, taking 40% - 50% loss on the depreciation of a new vehicle after 2-3 years by trading it in for another new model doesn't work for me. I work too hard for my money, to spend it like that. I personally prefer to use that money to invest and make even more money for me.

If having a shiney new car every year or two makes you happy, and you can afford it, congrats...
Old 01-01-15, 08:15 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

What??? I drink, smoke and eat out and still own a Lexus.

In all seriousness, kudos to you for your restraint.

Last edited by dseag2; 01-01-15 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-01-15, 08:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ haha lucky you.
Old 01-02-15, 02:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

i am interested in mpg over the same routes compared to RX.... although NX is smaller and weight less, so it is not really apple to apple

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone trade their RX 350 for NX?