NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Anyone trade their RX 350 for NX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-15, 08:21 AM
nx200tmb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i am interested in mpg over the same routes compared to RX.... although NX is smaller and weight less, so it is not really apple to apple
Also keep in mind you have to buy premium for NX, whereas RX takes regular gas. That negates some of the fuel savings.
Old 01-02-15, 09:25 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by nx200tmb
A lease make sense if you own a business and can write it off.

I use to work in finance and audit banks that financed the dealers and their leases. It was a huge money maker.

For the average person, buying a reliable vehicle like the Lexus and keeping it for 5 - 10 years would be a smart money move. The Lexus is reliable beyond the warranty period. So buying it only for a year or two is not the most financially wise move.

It's your money, so you're free to spend as you please. But for me, taking 40% - 50% loss on the depreciation of a new vehicle after 2-3 years by trading it in for another new model doesn't work for me. I work too hard for my money, to spend it like that. I personally prefer to use that money to invest and make even more money for me.

If having a shiney new car every year or two makes you happy, and you can afford it, congrats...
I think you're missing the point. I have like Corrado decided that leasing is best for me. I don't want a 10 yr old car just because the numbers may prove it. I like a new car every 2-3 years. The warranty never runs out so I have spent zilch on maintenance the last 15 yrs. These days the electronics are obsolete 2 yrs later, I want all the new bells and whistles also. We're not taking a depreciation loss, just renting a car. The residual value on my RX is higher than a used RX like mine. I could buy it out and resell it for a profit at this time. Corrado made out like a bandit trading in his RX for the NX. I doubt he feels like he lost anything with the deal. I have resigned my self that I will have a lease payment for life and I'm comfortable with that. I think there are many more out there like us.
Old 01-02-15, 09:30 AM
nx200tmb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I think you're missing the point. I have like Corrado decided that leasing is best for me. I don't want a 10 yr old car just because the numbers may prove it. I like a new car every 2-3 years. The warranty never runs out so I have spent zilch on maintenance the last 15 yrs. These days the electronics are obsolete 2 yrs later, I want all the new bells and whistles also. We're not taking a depreciation loss, just renting a car. The residual value on my RX is higher than a used RX like mine. I could buy it out and resell it for a profit at this time. Corrado made out like a bandit trading in his RX for the NX. I doubt he feels like he lost anything with the deal. I have resigned my self that I will have a lease payment for life and I'm comfortable with that. I think there are many more out there like us.
It's your money, feel free to do what you want.

It's good you can afford this lifestyle.

I have a good friend who trades in 2 cars EVERY year because he loves new cars so much. It works for him.

We make roughly the same amount of money. He has no savings, whereas I have a nice pile of savings.

Am I better than he? Of course not. However, I'm easily able to decide to choose retirement and financial independence at my whim...whereas he'll have to work for the forseeable future.

Two totally different choices, neither is wrong (unless he loses his job and can't replace the income easily). I choose financial freedom over being a slave to material things, but doesn't make me superior.

In fact, the growth of the economy, depends on people like my friend and you, who keep buying new and better things. If the people were more like me, thrifty savers and buyers, the economy would stagnate and crash.

Last edited by nx200tmb; 01-02-15 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-02-15, 09:42 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm glad to hear I'm helping the economy grow. Someone has to make up for your frugleness.
Old 01-03-15, 08:37 AM
MerlinT
Rookie

Also keep in mind you have to buy premium for NX, whereas RX takes regular gas. That negates some of the fuel savings.
RX requires Premium too
Old 01-03-15, 09:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinT
RX requires Premium too
I thought the RX (along with the ES350) was now rated for regular. No?
Old 01-03-15, 09:30 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

^^^ Yes, RX 350 takes Regular since MY 2012.
Old 01-03-15, 10:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

A lease make sense if you own a business and can write it off.
It does, and it may also make sense if you're an individual who would otherwise trade the car in every 5 years or less. I've done the math many times, and the only way it makes sense to buy a car with good lease rates like these are if you're going to keep it 5+ years. If you buy the car, pay it off after 5 years and then trade it in and put all the value down on the new purchase...its STILL no more expensive to lease and just get a new one every 3 years. Believe it or not.

I use to work in finance and audit banks that financed the dealers and their leases. It was a huge money maker.
Just because dealers may make a lot of profit off of something doesn't mean it is automatically a bad deal for you. I sell clients things every day that are the right move for them and make me a lot of money.

For the average person, buying a reliable vehicle like the Lexus and keeping it for 5 - 10 years would be a smart money move.
Sure...thats the smart money move. BUT, life isn't only about making "smart money moves". We all have expenses we spend money on. Some people take expensive vacations, some people live in huge homes, some people buy $20,000 watches. Some people have boats. Some people belong to country clubs...some people lease cars and replace them every 2-3 years.

If you approach everything in your life as a way to make the "smartest money move" you would do none of the things I mentioned above. if you're happy living that way fine. But I find it telling that its always the "smart money" people trying to convince us and not the other way around lol.

I have a good friend who trades in 2 cars EVERY year because he loves new cars so much. It works for him.

We make roughly the same amount of money. He has no savings, whereas I have a nice pile of savings.

Am I better than he? Of course not. However, I'm easily able to decide to choose retirement and financial independence at my whim...whereas he'll have to work for the forseeable future.
This kind of self righteousness is really frustrating. Like I said before, I think its telling that people who make choices like you do need to continuously convince themselves that their self-denial when it comes to buying new cars they actually want somehow makes them smarter and better than those of us who do spend money to purchase new cars we want. You see this all over the forum.

I find it ridiculous that somehow because I lease cars and replace them every 3 years that you assume I have no savings and have no ability to save for retirement. One certainly can build a saving and investment plan AND spend on luxury items that they enjoy. If somebody truly is spending such a large % of their monthly income on car lease payments that they cannot...thats another matter.

Buying a car and trading it after a year or two and taking a huge financial loss is crazy...because its not necessary. If one wants a new car every 2 years it can be achieved for less cost and risk by leasing. Its about setting a goal "I want to drive a new Lexus every 2 years or 3 years" whatever, and determining the most cost effective way to make that happen.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-03-15 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-03-15, 11:22 AM
Wagnerian
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Sure...thats the smart money move. BUT, life isn't only about making "smart money moves". We all have expenses we spend money on. Some people take expensive vacations, some people live in huge homes, some people buy $20,000 watches. Some people have boats. Some people belong to country clubs...some people lease cars and replace them every 2-3 years.
I think this is spot on.

I think CA was half surprised when I told him I wanted to buy NX since 90% of his clients lease their Lexus. I bought mine because I want to keep the car for about 10 years counting on Lexus reliability. If this is about "Smart Money" I would get RAV4 instead.

People love different things to spend their hard earned money on. For those who view cars as mere tool to transport from point A to B, we might appear absurd to spend huge amount of money on a luxury car. I would never understand why some people spend huge money on Star Wars memorabilia even though I like Star Wars while many people think my hobby (you can guess by name) is huge waste of money. Just because we do not share the same value it does not mean one is better than the other.

Still I do appreciate different view points from many posters on this forum.
Old 01-03-15, 12:42 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Boy did this thread ever get side jacked!!!!
Old 01-03-15, 12:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right, and I don't understand why someone would spend $20,000 on a watch. Hell...even $5,000...I don't understand or appreciate the differences. But...people do and good for them. I don't go to watch forums and tell them all they're making dumb money moves lol.
Old 01-03-15, 03:36 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Look folks, the people that follow these forums are clearly enthusiasts and we are all passionate about our cars. It seems to me the bottom line is we tend to spend what our budgets allow - based on our own unique requirements.

Now, with that said, the main topic of this thread is what I am looking for. We have a 3rd gen RX that is a bit tall for my spouse. We both love it, but she struggles to get in and out. I have been waiting anxiously to see the NX in person to see if it would fit her body type better. I visited the dealer last week and all they had was an F-Sport model. The height seemed great and the seat fit me like a glove and I loved it, but the tall side bolstering on the seat bottom definitely made egress awkward. Can anyone tell me how the seats in the Hybrid model compare to the F-Sport? Hopefully wider and shallower bolstering?

Thanks.

Doug
Old 01-03-15, 03:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Can anyone tell me how the seats in the Hybrid model compare to the F-Sport? Hopefully wider and shallower bolstering?
That was my impression in the NXs I sat in...the F Sport seats have better bolstering, so I'd recommend you try a non F-Sport.
Old 01-03-15, 05:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

^^^ +1

@Ward6096: In the interim, to get an idea, check out the IS non-F-Sport seats as they are similar to those in the non-F-Sport NX.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-03-15 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-04-15, 08:04 AM
MerlinT
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ Yes, RX 350 takes Regular since MY 2012.
Oups! My bad! I mixed up with another tread were they were refering to 2008! Too many subscriptions

Thanks

Last edited by MerlinT; 01-04-15 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: Anyone trade their RX 350 for NX?