NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Anyone trade their RX 350 for NX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-15, 11:14 AM
nx200tmb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
This kind of self righteousness is really frustrating. Like I said before, I think its telling that people who make choices like you do need to continuously convince themselves that their self-denial when it comes to buying new cars they actually want somehow makes them smarter and better than those of us who do spend money to purchase new cars we want. You see this all over the forum.

I find it ridiculous that somehow because I lease cars and replace them every 3 years that you assume I have no savings and have no ability to save for retirement. One certainly can build a saving and investment plan AND spend on luxury items that they enjoy. If somebody truly is spending such a large % of their monthly income on car lease payments that they cannot...thats another matter.

Buying a car and trading it after a year or two and taking a huge financial loss is crazy...because its not necessary. If one wants a new car every 2 years it can be achieved for less cost and risk by leasing. Its about setting a goal "I want to drive a new Lexus every 2 years or 3 years" whatever, and determining the most cost effective way to make that happen.
Sorry you took my post personally. I mentioned my friend, I don't recall mentioning you at all about the savings part. Somehow you interpreted that to mean you as well... so maybe I accidentally hit a nerve?

Having said that, good for you if you can change new cars out every 2-3 years, and somehow evade absorbing the most expensive years of a car's life (depreciation). Perhaps you could teach the pro's and regular folks on how this is possible... kind of like cold fusion.. mythical and possibly do-able.

Enjoy.

Last edited by nx200tmb; 01-04-15 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-04-15, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I have posted pages upon pages of information, figures, etc that have benefited many leasers on this site and others. Theres no getting around that buying/leasing a new car and then trading it/turning it in in 3 years is the most expensive way to own a car. Nobody is refuting that, all I'm saying is that there are ways to go about it in such a way that makes that cost as stomach able as possible. Leasing vs buying and trading is a big one. But...its still expensive...theres no denying that.

But...we all make decisions to do things the more expensive way every day. When you go out to eat...do you go to Applebees or Mortons for a steak? If you were being the "most financially responsible" you'd eat chicken at home. Even if you buy a Lexus and keep it 10 years...you're paying much more than buying a Honda and keeping it 10 years. The cost of you making that choice really isn't any smaller a cost than the decision those of us who do lease and get out of them every 3 years make vs driving them for 10. How would you react to a Honda owner coming in here and telling you that he would never buy a Lexus because "he works too hard for his money to waste it that way"?

Bottom line is...worry about yourself and let others worry about themselves. The OP wasn't asking for a financial lesson when he posted this...he was asking about essentially the differences between the RX and the NX from the perspective of someone who decided to trade the larger "better" RX on an NX.
Old 01-04-15, 03:18 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Well said SW13GS.

I hope this is over now.
Old 04-04-15, 06:58 PM
1811Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Add me to the list - just today traded my 2012 RX for an Atomic Silver AWD F-Sport NX. Picking it up on Monday.
Old 04-04-15, 08:45 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We did the same, had a MY11 RX350 with very low mileage for an NX EW/Rioja F-Sport. The equity in the RX got wiped out by a carfax from an accident when she was hit and run in a parking lot. Cosmetic damage, but nevertheless, registered as an accident. Our sales guy treated us well, with a nice discount and then helped me out of my MY12 IS250 for a NGP/Black F-Sport iS250 AWD and an even better discount, the F-Sport rebate and some equity. All in all, I made out OK, and driving two brand new cars out of the lot at the same time put a smile on our faces.
Old 04-04-15, 11:38 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I have posted pages upon pages of information, figures, etc that have benefited many leasers on this site and others. Theres no getting around that buying/leasing a new car and then trading it/turning it in in 3 years is the most expensive way to own a car. Nobody is refuting that, all I'm saying is that there are ways to go about it in such a way that makes that cost as stomach able as possible. Leasing vs buying and trading is a big one. But...its still expensive...theres no denying that.

But...we all make decisions to do things the more expensive way every day. When you go out to eat...do you go to Applebees or Mortons for a steak? If you were being the "most financially responsible" you'd eat chicken at home. Even if you buy a Lexus and keep it 10 years...you're paying much more than buying a Honda and keeping it 10 years. The cost of you making that choice really isn't any smaller a cost than the decision those of us who do lease and get out of them every 3 years make vs driving them for 10. How would you react to a Honda owner coming in here and telling you that he would never buy a Lexus because "he works too hard for his money to waste it that way"?

Bottom line is...worry about yourself and let others worry about themselves. The OP wasn't asking for a financial lesson when he posted this...he was asking about essentially the differences between the RX and the NX from the perspective of someone who decided to trade the larger "better" RX on an NX.
Well written. Good points!
Old 04-05-15, 08:57 AM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

The Mrs just traded out of a 2014 RX 350 into an NX 200t. (only 9500km on the RX )

We decided on the move as the Mrs was beginning to find it awkward to hop up into the RX, whereas it was easy to just slide into the NX.

Features, and amenities of both the cars were virtually the same (we had the top end Technology Package for the RX, and picked up the similarly equipped Executive package on the NX), only thing I'm really noticing that we are missing is the power folding side mirrors. However after explaining to the Mrs, that we could just manually fold them by hand if needed, it didn't matter to her so much

She liked how visibility out of the car seemed better to her, and also felt the seating comfort in the front seats was comparable to how she felt in the RX, if not even moreso.
I'll have to admit, I never really felt quite comfortable in the RX, even after adjusting the seat for over an hour to get positioning to where it was tolerable... but I digress.

The ride comfort now, and this is where it was truly strange.
We found the RX sometimes to be VERY harsh over bumps... very odd and it smoothed out when the temperatures warmed, but still noticeable road noise.
The NX was VERY smooth, and suspension behaved differently from the RX.
The same harsh bumps on the same roads in the RX were well dampened in the NX.
We perceived the NX to definitely have more road noise from the back seat, however it seemed somewhat quieter from the front seats.
I have no explanation for this other than perhaps better sound proofing in the front end of the NX?

Either way, the Mrs is extremely delighted with her vehicle.
The new Lexus platinum dealership experience has been thoroughly enjoyable (Lexus of Royal Oak), much better than the gong show we had at the dealership on the opposite end of the city

We'll be doing business with the new guys for the foreseeable future.

In a world filled with tech & feature laden vehicles at all price points, service is where it matters most for us now.
As the Mrs cant be bothered to visit the dealerships very often.
(My old Land Rover, MB, and BMW were quite frequently in the shops for odd electronics gremlins and other issues. In contrast my Porsche, and Honda combined didn't see our dealer as much as my Range Rover LOL. Lexus has been amazing for us!)

TLDR (too long didn't read): RX to the more compact NX gets a huge
We're from Canada, so your mileage may vary.

Whatever decision you make, we hope its the right one for you.

Cheers.

Last edited by Kelmin; 04-06-15 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-05-15, 10:15 AM
papa214
Rookie

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I think you're missing the point. I have like Corrado decided that leasing is best for me. I don't want a 10 yr old car just because the numbers may prove it. I like a new car every 2-3 years. The warranty never runs out so I have spent zilch on maintenance the last 15 yrs. These days the electronics are obsolete 2 yrs later, I want all the new bells and whistles also. We're not taking a depreciation loss, just renting a car. The residual value on my RX is higher than a used RX like mine. I could buy it out and resell it for a profit at this time. Corrado made out like a bandit trading in his RX for the NX. I doubt he feels like he lost anything with the deal. I have resigned my self that I will have a lease payment for life and I'm comfortable with that. I think there are many more out there like us.
i agree 100%. i enjoy driving a new car every 2 to 3 years and don't have to worry about no warranty. have been leasing a new lexus since 2005.
Old 04-05-15, 02:58 PM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just traded a 2012 RX lease in for an NX And couldn't be happier. Driving dynamics are much better and I agree with an earlier post - I just could not find a comfortable seating position in the RX. I felt like the RX took effort to drive and I feel the NX is fun to drive. We don't need the extra space of the RX so the NX is perfect for us in that regard.
Old 04-22-15, 01:36 PM
KarmaNina
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kelmin
The Mrs just traded out of a 2014 RX 350 into an NX 200t. (only 9500km on the RX )

We decided on the move as the Mrs was beginning to find it awkward to hop up into the RX, whereas it was easy to just slide into the NX.

Features, and amenities of both the cars were virtually the same (we had the top end Technology Package for the RX, and picked up the similarly equipped Executive package on the NX), only thing I'm really noticing that we are missing is the power folding side mirrors. However after explaining to the Mrs, that we could just manually fold them by hand if needed, it didn't matter to her so much

She liked how visibility out of the car seemed better to her, and also felt the seating comfort in the front seats was comparable to how she felt in the RX, if not even moreso.
I'll have to admit, I never really felt quite comfortable in the RX, even after adjusting the seat for over an hour to get positioning to where it was tolerable... but I digress.

The ride comfort now, and this is where it was truly strange.
We found the RX sometimes to be VERY harsh over bumps... very odd and it smoothed out when the temperatures warmed, but still noticeable road noise.
The NX was VERY smooth, and suspension behaved differently from the RX.
The same harsh bumps on the same roads in the RX were well dampened in the NX.
We perceived the NX to definitely have more road noise from the back seat, however it seemed somewhat quieter from the front seats.
I have no explanation for this other than perhaps better sound proofing in the front end of the NX?

Either way, the Mrs is extremely delighted with her vehicle.
The new Lexus platinum dealership experience has been thoroughly enjoyable (Lexus of Royal Oak), much better than the gong show we had at the dealership on the opposite end of the city

We'll be doing business with the new guys for the foreseeable future.

In a world filled with tech & feature laden vehicles at all price points, service is where it matters most for us now.
As the Mrs cant be bothered to visit the dealerships very often.
(My old Land Rover, MB, and BMW were quite frequently in the shops for odd electronics gremlins and other issues. In contrast my Porsche, and Honda combined didn't see our dealer as much as my Range Rover LOL. Lexus has been amazing for us!)

TLDR (too long didn't read): RX to the more compact NX gets a huge
We're from Canada, so your mileage may vary.

Whatever decision you make, we hope its the right one for you.

Cheers.
Your review is pushing me more towards the NX. Well written! Did you get the Fsport?

Thanks
Old 04-22-15, 06:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by KarmaNina
Your review is pushing me more towards the NX. Well written! Did you get the Fsport?

Thanks
Executive Package in Canada is top-end non-F Sport.

@Kelmin, I concur on the ride comfort with the NX being superior in colder temps, however in warmer temps, they're similarly comfortable.