NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Height with tailgate open

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-14, 02:46 PM
tekbiss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Height with tailgate open

Hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone of you knows the height of the NX with the tailgate open...i know the height is adjustable/programmable but I'd like to know if it will fit in my garage even before attempting to open it...thanks!
Old 12-22-14, 03:53 PM
niter1dah
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tekbiss
Hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone of you knows the height of the NX with the tailgate open...i know the height is adjustable/programmable but I'd like to know if it will fit in my garage even before attempting to open it...thanks!
I think I have the smallest garage in the world. I had to measure everything out before buying the NX and it has about 3 1/2" on both sides of the mirror going in. If yours is like most garages, your tail gate will go along the contour of the garage once it's inside and can go up almost all the way.
Old 12-22-14, 04:36 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Not exact, but knowing the NX's height at almost 65", the hatch adds about 25" when opened or ~90" total height. If you have a standard 8' (96") ceiling height you'll be fine.
Attached Thumbnails Height with tailgate open-nx_height.jpg  
Old 12-22-14, 04:45 PM
tekbiss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Not exact, but knowing the NX's height at almost 65", the hatch adds about 25" when opened or ~90" total height. If you have a standard 8' (96") ceiling height you'll be fine.
thanks for posting this with the picture...might be an issue for me as no problem actually with height of garage but rather when my garage door overhang opens the ceiling height is approx 87" so with the NX at 90" then programming the height will be the only option
Old 12-23-14, 04:13 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Just curious as to how the garage door overhang can be in the way if you were to park the NX in backwards? Maybe post a pic?

It's what I must do in my garage with the RX to avoid hitting the garage door overhead.

A typical garage door is 7' high bringing the door inwards along the ceiling about 7' . And even with a garage door opener and its track (if you have it) typically puts it to about 10 feet back so you would have enough room in a standard 20' long garage parked backwards.

If this helps, the RX's "max length" (front bumper to hatch) while its rear hatch is opening at its longest point is 198" (16.5') so if you have at minimum that much free length in your garage, you'll be more than fine with the NX.
Old 12-23-14, 10:39 AM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All you need to do is program the hatch to the height u want once! They showed me how during the preview. It is a lot lower than the RX because the car is lower to start with and the hatch smaller.
Old 12-23-14, 10:43 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

When I opened the power hatch on an NX in the showroom, the hatch stopped at about lip level. The salesman said it needed to be reprogrammed, since it's adjustable.
You are wise to consider the height of the hatch and garage door clearance. My wife backed our RX350 hatch into the open overhead garage door and it cost us a bundle to fix.
Ray A.
Old 12-23-14, 04:42 PM
tekbiss
Driver School Candidate

Just curious as to how the garage door overhang can be in the way if you were to park the NX in backwards? Maybe post a pic?

It's what I must do in my garage with the RX to avoid hitting the garage door overhead.

A typical garage door is 7' high bringing the door inwards along the ceiling about 7' . And even with a garage door opener and its track (if you have it) typically puts it to about 10 feet back so you would have enough room in a standard 20' long garage parked backwards.

If this helps, the RX's "max length" (front bumper to hatch) while its rear hatch is opening at its longest point is 198" (16.5') so if you have at minimum that much free length in your garage, you'll be more than fine with the NX.
I understand what you are saying unfortunately if the wife is parking the vehicle it's always going inside garage with front side closer to the house. We don't have an issue with our XC60 since it's height with tailgate open is around 84" despite the tailgate being programmable. Since she drives the SUV most of the time then it'll be going in forward and not backwards where height isn't an issue...better safe than have costly repairs later on.
Old 12-23-14, 06:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by tekbiss
I understand what you are saying unfortunately if the wife is parking the vehicle it's always going inside garage with front side closer to the house. We don't have an issue with our XC60 since it's height with tailgate open is around 84" despite the tailgate being programmable. Since she drives the SUV most of the time then it'll be going in forward and not backwards where height isn't an issue...better safe than have costly repairs later on.
Haha, same story with my wife. However, I'm getting her all the bells and whistles with the NX (RCTA, parking sensors, backup cam ,etc) so no excuses!
Old 12-30-14, 06:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Max height rear hatch 84" when open.

Tekbiss, good news!

I measured the max height (setting 5) of the NX's open rear hatch and it's just under 84", like your XC60, which means your wife can drive in and open the hatch without worry.

I also measured setting 4, and it's at 77". You can adjust the height conveniently from the center display:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8846460
Old 12-30-14, 08:43 PM
tekbiss
Driver School Candidate

Tekbiss, good news!

I measured the max height (setting 5) of the NX's open rear hatch and it's just under 84", like your XC60, which means your wife can drive in and open the hatch without worry.

I also measured setting 4, and it's at 77". You can adjust the height conveniently from the center display:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8846460
That's really good news! The wife and I were at the dealership again last night for our 2nd test drive w/c was a more in depth one and the salesman showed us how to program the tailgate height from 1-5 setting...4-5 was acceptable but anything lower is not ideal. Thanks for confirming the height...we are going back on Friday to discuss pricing though I really doubt the dealership is going to give any incentive or discount since it is really a brand new model where demand is high vs their inventory...the only offer they can probably make is on the value of trade in for our Volvo if ever...the wife though is now more convinced of the NX!
Old 12-30-14, 09:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ My same sales rep is at most giving a discount on accessories to non-repeat buyers so you never know, you can always ask for paint protection film, window tint, etc if it interests you, on top of a fair trade-in value for your XC60.

Good luck!
Old 12-31-14, 05:05 AM
tekbiss
Driver School Candidate

^^^ My same sales rep is at most giving a discount on accessories to non-repeat buyers so you never know, you can always ask for paint protection film, window tint, etc if it interests you, on top of a fair trade-in value for your XC60.

Good luck!
I guess it all boils down to which area you belong..if there are other Lexus dealers you can definitely shop around and even if they don't offer much deals on the pricing or incentives it is understandable due to the newest model being just released recently...I am not so keen on any accessories as taking the vehicle as is (looking at luxury package) would be sufficient but I also get what you're saying where they can make offers on accessories aside from fair trade in value for our Volvo...

It's either we wait longer down the road until they start giving out deals on the NX or if sales are not so good for the only Lexus dealer in our area where they might hand out incentives but by then the value of our Volvo also may have gone down...oh well, we'll see. Like I told my wife, if they give out a good offer on our trade in then we might sign up but if they don't then we are ok to just hang on to our Volvo...

Did you purchase an extended warranty or would you recommend getting one even for add'l 2 years? My experience in the past having 3 brand new vehicles I've always gotten extended warranties (2 Toyotas & 1 Volvo) and honestly I've never gotten back what I paid for the EW so am thinking if ever we get the NX is to just not purchase the EW knowing that Lexus is a reliable brand
Old 12-31-14, 08:03 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

I've never gone for any extended warranty except once (from a 3rd party) when I bought a used MDX with high mileage (150k km). I didn't have to use it in the end but that particular model year had a relatively high transmission failure rate.

If you plan on keeping it 6+ years (and 100k km +) , it may be worth while if it gives you peace of mind, but read the fine print since there are items that you might expect the warranty to cover but are considered wear-and-tear. If you lease and plan to return it, skip the ext warranty for sure.

Overall, I would skip it despite the NX being a new product including the brand new 2L Turbo engine. Lexus is no.1 in reliability and the odds of anything major mechanically/electrically failing (outside wear-tear) is very slim within the first 8 years of ownership.
Old 12-31-14, 09:04 AM
tekbiss
Driver School Candidate

I've never gone for any extended warranty except once (from a 3rd party) when I bought a used MDX with high mileage (150k km). I didn't have to use it in the end but that particular model year had a relatively high transmission failure rate.

If you plan on keeping it 6+ years (and 100k km +) , it may be worth while if it gives you peace of mind, but read the fine print since there are items that you might expect the warranty to cover but are considered wear-and-tear. If you lease and plan to return it, skip the ext warranty for sure.

Overall, I would skip it despite the NX being a new product including the brand new 2L Turbo engine. Lexus is no.1 in reliability and the odds of anything major mechanically/electrically failing (outside wear-tear) is very slim within the first 8 years of ownership.
thanks for the advice...was thinking of the same thing. We'll find out on Friday when we visit the dealership for pricing and possibly the value offer for our trade in as final decision will depend on that