NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Cross Country Trip - Thoughts, Observations, and MPG

Old 12-23-14, 10:53 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

op....Did you do anything about the engine cool down on page 168 of the owners manual?
Old 12-23-14, 10:54 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by cb80923
This is hard to explain - Im not a sports car expert!

The ride is very nice, but more aggressive and sport feeling than any SUV/CUV that I have ever owned (I have had Jeep Grand Cherokees,Tahoes, Explorer, Touareg).

I have All season tires on the NX and its AWD. My IS 350 has low profile summer tires as I'm sure many do, and is Rear wheel drive. The IS 350 is firmer than the NX, you feel the road more in the IS. I have a feeling of being More in control in the IS 350. That's not to say I don't feel in control in the NX. You just feel more ("become one with the car and road and curves and driving") in the Is 350, but you know that "zen" potential is there to some level in the NX with the cockpit and turbo engine and wrap around seat and sporty steering wheel with paddle shifters .

The NX does have a sporty ride (much firmer than the previous '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit which was fantastic luxury/technology but also lots of bugs and issues) but it rides down the road nicely and can get sporty if you put your foot into it.

Noise level: I hear the road a lot more in the IS 350. Closer / lower to the road and summer tires. NX is quiet really!

So long way to say IS is firmer than NX. NX is firmer than any other SUV I've owned. The NX is a really nice riding sporty SUV with a sinister side if you want to bring it out!
Thanks for the comparison. It's what I'm expecting as well compared to my IS.
Old 12-23-14, 11:03 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by crankshaft
op....Did you do anything about the engine cool down on page 168 of the owners manual?
I'm wondering if anyone will offer an aftermarket intercooler to make this unneeded.
Old 12-23-14, 11:59 AM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did not. Honestly didn't know about page 168 until after the trip!!?!?!!?!?! Thanks Lexus Dealer!!!
Old 12-23-14, 12:07 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I did not. Honestly didn't know about page 168 until after the trip!!?!?!!?!?! Thanks Lexus Dealer!!!
Member Wagnerian brought this to our attention! Thanks again Wag!
Old 12-23-14, 12:29 PM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That was sappy sarcasm - pointing out the fact that the Lexus Dealer made zero mention of turbo cool down. But yes - Thanks Wag.
Old 12-23-14, 12:55 PM
Wagnerian
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was sappy sarcasm - pointing out the fact that the Lexus Dealer made zero mention of turbo cool down. But yes - Thanks Wag.
It's my pleasure. I am happy I was able to contribute to this awesome forum. My dealer did not mention this either. I had no idea turbo needed cool down till I read the thread on this forum.
Old 12-23-14, 01:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

^^^ Didn't know either. Thanks! I'll be sure to check the manual in a week, if there are any differences in operation for Canada (like there is the maintenance schedule).
Old 12-23-14, 01:36 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wagnerian
It's my pleasure. I am happy I was able to contribute to this awesome forum. My dealer did not mention this either. I had no idea turbo needed cool down till I read the thread on this forum.
Just from a realistic sense, is anybody actually going to do this? I've never done this with my turbo... Does any other maker currently require this?
Old 12-24-14, 09:47 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Copied from skeptics.stackexchange.com

According to a major manufacturer of turbochargers

Following a hot shutdown of a turbocharger, heat soak begins. This means that the heat in the head, exhaust manifold, and turbine housing finds it way to the turbo’s center housing, raising its temperature. These extreme temperatures in the center housing can result in oil coking.
To minimize the effects of heat soak-back, water-cooled center housings were introduced. These use coolant from the engine to act as a heat sink after engine shutdown, preventing the oil from coking. The water lines utilize a thermal siphon effect to reduce the peak heat soak-back temperature after key-off.

Conclusion:
No, there is no need to run a turbocharged engine after stopping the vehicle - unless you have an older vehicle with an early type of turbocharger and have been pushing the engine to it's limits for an extended time. Check the owner-manual for your car to see if the manufacturer recommends any special procedure, if it doesn't you can assume none is needed.

If I had an NX, I would not do anything differently during normal driving.
Ray A.

Last edited by raylor4; 12-24-14 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-24-14, 01:08 PM
tekbiss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
Copied from skeptics.stackexchange.com

According to a major manufacturer of turbochargers

Following a hot shutdown of a turbocharger, heat soak begins. This means that the heat in the head, exhaust manifold, and turbine housing finds it way to the turbo’s center housing, raising its temperature. These extreme temperatures in the center housing can result in oil coking.
To minimize the effects of heat soak-back, water-cooled center housings were introduced. These use coolant from the engine to act as a heat sink after engine shutdown, preventing the oil from coking. The water lines utilize a thermal siphon effect to reduce the peak heat soak-back temperature after key-off.

Conclusion:
No, there is no need to run a turbocharged engine after stopping the vehicle - unless you have an older vehicle with an early type of turbocharger and have been pushing the engine to it's limits for an extended time. Check the owner-manual for your car to see if the manufacturer recommends any special procedure, if it doesn't you can assume none is needed.

If I had an NX, I would not do anything differently during normal driving.
Ray A.
Exactly what I mentioned in the beginning of this post...I think a lot are skeptical either due to lack of knowledge and/or experience with turbocharged engines. This isn't a knock on anyone but there is also no harm in following the manufacturer's recommendation especially to preserve the vehicle's powertrain warranty and the fact that Lexus hasn't been using a lot of turbocharged engines on their lineup until now on the NX...
Old 12-25-14, 10:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Noise level: I hear the road a lot more in the IS 350. Closer / lower to the road and summer tires. NX is quiet really!

So long way to say IS is firmer than NX. NX is firmer than any other SUV I've owned. The NX is a really nice riding sporty SUV with a sinister side if you want to bring it out!
you know for me, this is best "review" anyone can give - compare it to other cars they own/ed.

Let us know your first gas tank mpg back at home, compared to your own IS350 on the same roads...