From MDX to NX...Shortly

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-14, 03:32 PM
DenM54
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default From MDX to NX...Shortly

Hey All,

Just a quick back story. I currently have a 2008 Acura MDX Sport and have been looking to buy a new vehicle for the past two years or so. My two prior vehicles were an '01 Acura CL-S and an '05 Acura TL. I was counting down the days to the Acura MDX redesign because I really wanted something with all new tech and features. Unfortunately when the MDX came out, I was not a fan of the look at all. I decided to look at something smaller, so naturally I thought the RDX would be the perfect fit. However I did not like that the 2014 RDX seemed to have the same technology as my 2008 MDX. Essentially the same ancient resolution navigation screen and everything else, basically the only upgrade was Push Button Start. I really did want to stay with Acura.

I stumbled across the Club Lexus site while looking at the RX. From there I stumbled upon the NX forum a day or two before the official photos were release from the Club Lexus photo shoot. It looked like the vehicle I had been trying to find for two years. I never had any previous dealing with Lexus, the only thing I knew was the closest dealer was much farther than my current Acura dealer.

Today my wife and I headed up to the Lexus dealer to check out the NX. I will agree with anyone and everyone on this site that has said "You have to see it in person". What a beautiful vehicle. We went and test drove a fully loaded 300h, they had that and a base 200t in stock. I feel in love with the interior and the car, I thought it was gorgeous. Unfortunately they did not have an F-Sport in the showroom, as thats what I really wanted.

Well to make this a little shorter, after talking I decided to put a deposit for an NX F-Sport, with the Premium Package, Navigation Package and BSM. It was the color (Silver) that I wanted with Black Interior. It is already "in-transit" and will hopefully arrive this month...hopefully.

The car we test drove was perfect. But just to mention, the Lexus dealer experienace was also perfect. When I mentioned my one concern was the distance drive to the dealer. They told me not to worry because they have a valet service that will come and pickup the car and drop off a loner for maintenance and inspections free of charge. Now that is service, I was in shock...simple WOW.

Anyway, a big thanks to everyone who over the last few months all added information here and there and shared any and all information the could fine. Truthfully, I did not think I would be putting a deposit down on a car today, but the NX surpassed all the expectations I had.

Cheers,
-Dennis
Old 12-13-14, 07:04 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by DenM54
Hey All,

Just a quick back story. I currently have a 2008 Acura MDX Sport and have been looking to buy a new vehicle for the past two years or so. My two prior vehicles were an '01 Acura CL-S and an '05 Acura TL. I was counting down the days to the Acura MDX redesign because I really wanted something with all new tech and features. Unfortunately when the MDX came out, I was not a fan of the look at all. I decided to look at something smaller, so naturally I thought the RDX would be the perfect fit. However I did not like that the 2014 RDX seemed to have the same technology as my 2008 MDX. Essentially the same ancient resolution navigation screen and everything else, basically the only upgrade was Push Button Start. I really did want to stay with Acura.

I stumbled across the Club Lexus site while looking at the RX. From there I stumbled upon the NX forum a day or two before the official photos were release from the Club Lexus photo shoot. It looked like the vehicle I had been trying to find for two years. I never had any previous dealing with Lexus, the only thing I knew was the closest dealer was much farther than my current Acura dealer.

Today my wife and I headed up to the Lexus dealer to check out the NX. I will agree with anyone and everyone on this site that has said "You have to see it in person". What a beautiful vehicle. We went and test drove a fully loaded 300h, they had that and a base 200t in stock. I feel in love with the interior and the car, I thought it was gorgeous. Unfortunately they did not have an F-Sport in the showroom, as thats what I really wanted.

Well to make this a little shorter, after talking I decided to put a deposit for an NX F-Sport, with the Premium Package, Navigation Package and BSM. It was the color (Silver) that I wanted with Black Interior. It is already "in-transit" and will hopefully arrive this month...hopefully.

The car we test drove was perfect. But just to mention, the Lexus dealer experienace was also perfect. When I mentioned my one concern was the distance drive to the dealer. They told me not to worry because they have a valet service that will come and pickup the car and drop off a loner for maintenance and inspections free of charge. Now that is service, I was in shock...simple WOW.

Anyway, a big thanks to everyone who over the last few months all added information here and there and shared any and all information the could fine. Truthfully, I did not think I would be putting a deposit down on a car today, but the NX surpassed all the expectations I had.

Cheers,
-Dennis

Glad to see this forum and all its contributors have helped lure you into what we feel is the best vehicle in its class. Combine that with exceptional Lexus quality, reliability, and dealer experience, and it's truly hard to beat.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new NX purchase. I'm counting my NX-arrival days too!
Old 12-14-14, 08:48 AM
vietboy1st
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love lexus because of their customer service. Free break fast and lunch, drink at any dealer. Not like the damn toyota where i bring my mom lexus RX 350 for the rotors and brake replace, while she took my Is250 to work. Later on she got pulled over by a cop to give her a warning for not having a front license place and tinted windows under 35% .. screw you.. i live in the city driving pass ton of cops for almost 2 years no problem.. Now a cop from suburban told me what i need to replace -_-". any how, The toyota dealer, didn't give out free food and drink. Charged us to replace the rotors and brakes for 339 after i bought in my parts. I could do it myself but my mom lost her key to unlock the wheels -_-" . Think about it , i get pissed off more about that *****ty toyota dealer...
This is the reason why I like lexus and their customer service. Not only that, i like their cars. My mom wanted to get the NX F sport model too.. Cause she will be selling her RX 350 2008 to one of the guy for almost $15,000 and the car is almost 100 000 miles. So why not... But the car she has i still strong, you can feel the acceleration, and the engine is pretty smooth and the interior is still clean. My mom and i are lexus owners lol. You will never go wrong with lexus. They have a good warranty on their vehicles.
Old 12-14-14, 07:49 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Hey All,

-Dennis
Hey Dennis, I've owned Hondas ( 2 Preludes) and Acuras ( former RL owner and still with our MDX ). AND I am a highly satisfied Lexus owner - think my SC430 could make it to 150k miles and serve me another 5 years. I would really like to read your full review after you take delivery of your NX 200t F sport. That is what I would like as well if I can make room for one. We will likely keep our MDX so the NX might be additional.

Think I ought to hang out here a little more often to see how you NX owners are liking your new cars. It is one of the best looking small SUV's out there right now, especially in F sport trim. Congrats to all who have one and best of luck to the upcoming new owners.

And yeah, Lexus dealer customer experience is generally better than Acura dealer customer experience. I would equate Lexus and MB as having generally comparable dealer customer experience. It's just that MB's break more than Lexus/Toyota ...

Last edited by OBP; 12-14-14 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-15-14, 05:03 AM
DenM54
Rookie

Originally Posted by OBP
Hey Dennis, I've owned Hondas ( 2 Preludes) and Acuras ( former RL owner and still with our MDX ). AND I am a highly satisfied Lexus owner - think my SC430 could make it to 150k miles and serve me another 5 years. I would really like to read your full review after you take delivery of your NX 200t F sport. That is what I would like as well if I can make room for one. We will likely keep our MDX so the NX might be additional.

Think I ought to hang out here a little more often to see how you NX owners are liking your new cars. It is one of the best looking small SUV's out there right now, especially in F sport trim. Congrats to all who have one and best of luck to the upcoming new owners.

And yeah, Lexus dealer customer experience is generally better than Acura dealer customer experience. I would equate Lexus and MB as having generally comparable dealer customer experience. It's just that MB's break more than Lexus/Toyota ...
I have never had a problem with Acura's customer service, but in my first dealings with Lexus it seemed way above. The MDX has been and still is a great vehicle, I was so disappointed that the redesign didn't look like the "preview" version.

I feel like Lexus really took a chance with the boldness of the NX, and it definitely paid off.
Old 12-15-14, 05:04 AM
DenM54
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Glad to see this forum and all its contributors have helped lure you into what we feel is the best vehicle in its class. Combine that with exceptional Lexus quality, reliability, and dealer experience, and it's truly hard to beat.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new NX purchase. I'm counting my NX-arrival days too!
Thanks Corrado, hopefully everything goes smooth with your order.
Old 12-16-14, 08:01 PM
sleepyking
Driver School Candidate

Hey All,

Cheers,
-Dennis
thanks for the story. I was actually thinking of an MDX or even an RDX if not an NX. How has your experience been with Acura?
Old 12-17-14, 05:19 AM
DenM54
Rookie

Originally Posted by sleepyking
thanks for the story. I was actually thinking of an MDX or even an RDX if not an NX. How has your experience been with Acura?
My experience has always been good with Acura, I owned three Acura's in a row:

-2001 CL Type S
-2005 TL
-2008 MDX Sport

I had really never had a problem with any of those vehicles or with any of the dealer service. I had every intention to buy a new MDX when the redesign came out for the 2014 model year. However I didn't like the design. I felt that they took the lines and what not that made it unique and turned it into looking like every other SUV on the road. From some angles it even looks van-ish.

I then started to think about a small SUV after averaging 18 MPG Highway with the MDX. I did really like the RDX, but the tech and design seemed very dated. Which is what brought me here. After a test drive of the NX, there was no going back.
Old 12-17-14, 04:11 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

The 2014-15 MDX's are having quality/build issues and we may be on the fence about getting one now. The new NX's look enticing. Too bad there's no Lexus 3 row cross-over and the LX-570 is out of our budget, for now.
Old 12-17-14, 07:06 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 2014 Acura MDX. We've had a few problems but nothing major. The main concern is the Nav system isn't very intuitive. Weight is greatly reduced and we find the ride to be a nice combo of sporty and comfortable. It is MUCH quieter on the road than in the past. The engine has cylinder deactivation resulting in solid fuel economy. 19mpg strictly city ... 25 mpg on the Interstate and up to 29mpg strictly highway. Sticker is 18 mpg city/27 mpg highway. Overall it drives smaller than its size. It's my favorite road trip car we've had.