NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Thoughts on adding the body side moldings to protect the doors?

Old 01-29-15, 06:12 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think they make the car look like a 60yr old is driving it IMO

With that said, keep in mind that the side molding is not going to protect from everything. If its a higher truck door, it will still hit your door door. Also, if the molding gets hit, how are you going to fix that? Pull it off? One and done?

I understand the need to avoid people, because people as a whole are so very careless...but I think parking further away is a better alternative to those moldings lol
Old 01-29-15, 07:07 AM
jalford999
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well sir I am a 68 year old and I think they look good. Saw one in the dealers lot. As I told my ex wife numerous times I sure am glad all of us do not think alike or this world would be boring as h---.
The following 2 users liked this post by jalford999:
djrees (12-30-23), RadiantX45 (07-17-23)
Old 01-29-15, 07:43 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jalford999
Well sir I am a 68 year old and I think they look good. Saw one in the dealers lot. As I told my ex wife numerous times I sure am glad all of us do not think alike or this world would be boring as h---.
I'm 27, so we have very different feelings on the matter, and thats ok lol

Last edited by Swacer; 01-29-15 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-29-15, 04:19 PM
NXFan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have installed BSM on all my cars in the past, Either aftermarket or OEM. The aftermarket one on my 1997 Toyota Camry, looked like it was added on, but lined up with the body lines so it looked okay. The factory one on my 2007 CRV looked like it belonged there and the CRVs without it looked naked. As for the factory BSM for the NX. I am still on the fence. I know they protect the doors from getting dinged on the metal, but the moldings do get hit on occasion. I don't like the look of it on the NX, I guess it just looks out of place, like it was an after thought. It doesn't flow with the body lines at all and looks like something you would buy aftermarket from an autoparts store. I am waiting to see if in person on someone elses NX before I buy it, but my wife doesn't like it at all. I found a company online selling an aftermarket product with a chrome strip in the middle of it, painted to match the factory paint color, which to me looks alittle better, but still doesn't flow with the body lines. We always find end parking stalls and park as far away from the door as possible, but that person with the clunker always still parks next to you.......
Old 01-29-15, 04:45 PM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally would get it.
I ordered it and put it on my dad's Rx350. Best purchase I made, aside from the interior LED lights.
There are so many dings on the door moldings, it's ridiculous. I really hate the total disregard drivers have for other peoples car. I literally want to put a camera facing the side doors and record everyone that dings the car.
Old 01-29-15, 07:54 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once you have the BSM, mudguards, and a clear bra, you'll never own another car without one or all of the items !
Old 01-30-15, 04:43 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4482
Once you have the BSM, mudguards, and a clear bra, you'll never own another car without one or all of the items !
Couldn't agree more.
Old 01-30-15, 04:44 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sh1nra
I personally would get it.
I ordered it and put it on my dad's Rx350. Best purchase I made, aside from the interior LED lights.
There are so many dings on the door moldings, it's ridiculous. I really hate the total disregard drivers have for other peoples car. I literally want to put a camera facing the side doors and record everyone that dings the car.
Or you could start parking further away from people. I agree people are careless, so its up to you to protect your own investments.
Old 01-30-15, 10:38 AM
leej865
Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
Or you could start parking further away from people. I agree people are careless, so its up to you to protect your own investments.
A car isn't an investment since it's a depreciating commodity...but that is no reason to not keep it looking nice, so I agree.

The thing about 'parking away'...I had read about some vandals once who were targeting cars that were parked away to obviously not be near all the other cars. They would purposely key these cars. There were also some other pranksters who had a beat-up old car, and they would look for nice cars parked far away in a parking lot, and they would purposely park as close as possible to the nice car without hitting it, then hide and record the reaction of the person coming back to find this hunk of junk up against car. It takes all kinds.
Old 01-30-15, 08:35 PM
Lead Lap

Default About done now with add on's.

In the last week or so I've had installed mudguards, BSM, rear bumper protector, and last but not least the clear bra.
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on adding the body side moldings to protect the doors?-img_0955.jpg   Thoughts on adding the body side moldings to protect the doors?-img_0963.jpg  
Old 01-31-15, 09:48 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by 4482
In the last week or so I've had installed mudguards, BSM, rear bumper protector, and last but not least the clear bra.
MRM just pops in the snow. Love it. And to be honest, not yet to the point of purchase, but the body side moldings are growing on me.
Old 02-02-15, 02:38 PM
PsiStar

If I lived in the middle of no where (I used to) I wouldn't be too interested in parking lot dings/a-holes. But, if I lived in the middle of no where, the nearest Lexus dealer would be a long way off and I possibly would not care.

I also think the doors are large sheet metal areas that need a little something to break them up anyway.
Old 02-10-15, 01:46 PM
philwojo
Pole Position

We decided to do ours, so I thought I would update the thread I started, also posted this in the "pics" thread as well.

Not sure why the colors don't look to match, got these from Sewell parts and had my dealer install them for me. In full sun the colors don't look to match the car, but inside or not in full sun they look spot on.

Also bought the Roof Rack Cross Bars from Sewell but have not put those on yet, will post a pic of that once it is done.

Phil
Old 02-10-15, 01:54 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

They don't match because colors vary batch to batch. 2 cars produced on 2 different days can be 2 different shades of the same color.

This is why you never buy painted parts after taking delivery. The best idea is to buy primered and have a shop color match.
Old 02-11-15, 09:05 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Swacer
They don't match because colors vary batch to batch. 2 cars produced on 2 different days can be 2 different shades of the same color.

This is why you never buy painted parts after taking delivery. The best idea is to buy primered and have a shop color match.
My car is identical (red) to Phil's with the BSM. After your above statement I checked my color matching. I think you're splitting hairs as far as the color match. You would need to look hard, very hard, to detect any difference in the Lexus supplied BSM and the car color. I don't think the photos do the match justice due to shadowing, and your opinion is based on the photos.
If it was that critical Lexus would build the cars with the BSM attached and painted at the same time as the car at the factory.

I'd hate to think of the cost and work involved in having a paint shop color match the parts as you suggested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on adding the body side moldings to protect the doors?