NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Looks Like no NX for me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-14, 02:58 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Unhappy Looks Like no NX for me.

My local dealership got their 4 NX's in today and I was down scoping them out. They said they could not open them as they had just come off the truck and had to be processed. Thank god for human error, someone left one unlocked. I was able to get a good feel for the vehicle. I am 6'1" and sadly my head hits the headliner and even worse in the back seat.

The NX has some very nice finishes overall but there were a couple areas that screamed of cost cutting, one being the power window/door lock switch panels and the interior door handles. The other was the door panels from the armrest down, cheap black hard plastic.
Definitely lacking some of the features that the rest of the Lexus line has.

Unless this car drives absolutely amazing and is dead quiet I will be waiting for the 2016 RX.
I thought the NX was quite attractive in person and Lexus did a great job with that and the dash.
The seats were comfortable they just wouldn't go low enough.

I was so hoping the NX was going to work for me.

Last edited by MEP7557; 11-26-14 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-26-14, 03:36 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

"The NX has some very nice finishes overall but there were a couple areas the screamed of cost cutting, one being the power window/door lock switch panels and the interior door handles. The other was the door panels from the armrest down, cheap black hard plastic.
Definitely lacking some of the features that the rest of the Lexus line has."

Is it similar to the new ES interior with the molded panels ?
Old 11-26-14, 04:02 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by GrdnRxR
"The NX has some very nice finishes overall but there were a couple areas the screamed of cost cutting, one being the power window/door lock switch panels and the interior door handles. The other was the door panels from the armrest down, cheap black hard plastic.
Definitely lacking some of the features that the rest of the Lexus line has."

Is it similar to the new ES interior with the molded panels ?
The NX is like the IS which is a half notch above the ES and one notch below the GS, to give you some perspective.
Old 11-26-14, 04:20 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
My local dealership got their 4 NX's in today and I was down scoping them out. They said they could not open them as they had just come off the truck and had to be processed. Thank god for human error, someone left one unlocked. I was able to get a good feel for the vehicle. I am 6'1" and sadly my head hits the headliner and even worse in the back seat.

The NX has some very nice finishes overall but there were a couple areas the screamed of cost cutting, one being the power window/door lock switch panels and the interior door handles. The other was the door panels from the armrest down, cheap black hard plastic.
Definitely lacking some of the features that the rest of the Lexus line has.

Unless this car drives absolutely amazing and is dead quiet I will be waiting for the 2016 RX.
I thought the NX was quite attractive in person and Lexus did a great job with that and the dash.
The seats were comfortable they just wouldn't go low enough.

I was so hoping the NX was going to work for me.
It's too bad your expectations were not met on the interior. Agree that the current RX has materials in some areas like the door panels and switch gear that are a half notch better than the NX, however the opposite is true for the dash materials (better on the NX than RX). I wouldn't call either vehicle having "cheap hard plastic".

One thing is clear and I agree that the rear entry is tricky to avoid hitting your head and headroom is a little tight once seated. Though leg and shoulder room is near RX levels.

From contacts at Lexus who have driven and shared their feedback on ride and handling, their unanimous theme is "it drives and rides nowhere near the RX, but very much like the IS."

So this may not be a good thing for you as well. For me, coming from an RX F-Sport and also owning an IS, I have clear expectations on ride, handling and interior noise. As for the latter, the RX is quieter than my IS so NX should also be less quiet.
Old 11-26-14, 08:57 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree that the dash is better in the NX than the current RX but the RX is 6 yrs old. I am sure when the RX gets it's update the dash will be just as nice if not nicer. I was taken to see the cars in an ES and I think the ES had a nicer interior than the NX.
For the price point it has a lot going for it compared to other Luxury brands, that is for sure. But, when you can't sit up straight in it, that is a deal breaker. Still going to test drive it, of course.

Last edited by MEP7557; 11-27-14 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-27-14, 04:52 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Seats might have been all the way up. I am 6'3" and fit fine in my CT200h so......cannot imagine less room in the NX. All new cars have area's they save money unless you get into the 80-100k models.

I need to test drive vehicles first , get in set the seat , steering wheel and the lumbar and then do some pedal mashing.

Then let my wife drive it......I sit in the back eyes closed , biting down hard on a bullet.
Old 11-27-14, 08:45 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sat in the loaner NX 200t that was going around to dealerships, which I don't think was a production model, but I didn't have any issues with head or leg room in the front or back. I'm 6'1 230lbs, big frame, not a small guy.

I don't want to doubt that the OP had issues, as I haven't been in a production model yet, but it sure didn't seem like it would be an issue for me.

Phil
Old 11-28-14, 03:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
I agree that the dash is better in the NX than the current RX but the RX is 6 yrs old. I am sure when the RX gets it's update the dash will be just as nice if not nicer. I was taken to see the cars in an ES and I think the ES had a nicer interior than the NX.
For the price point it has a lot going for it compared to other Luxury brands, that is for sure. But, when you can't sit up straight in it, that is a deal breaker. Still going to test drive it, of course.
well, considering that I dont touch or see plastics under my knees, for me NX has much better interior than RX, while being a lot cheaper. I am sure that RX will improve a lot too, but it will still be a lot more expensive vehicle.