NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2015 NX vs 2015 Ford Edge

Old 11-20-14, 10:00 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2015 NX vs 2015 Ford Edge

Anyone cross shopping?

The way the packages seem to be for the NX, i am quickly getting deterred. Alternatively, the new generation Edge coming out seems VERY appealing. Option for option it is roughly $5-10k less, and the interior quality apparently is vastly improved over the last version. The Ford has way more tech offerings, so a fairly optioned Edge (with the base engine) is the equivalent of a fully loaded NX; and the price difference is low $40k to high $40k.

Not to mention, the Edge interior is larger, it comes with a pano roof, and best of all, has a 2.0L Ecoboost motor standard with great MPGs...and it takes regular gas.

Am the only crazy one that is cross shopping with a ford? they have come a long way.
Old 11-20-14, 10:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

No you're not crazy to cross shop the two. Size wise it's almost apples and oranges between the two though. It's all about what works for you and your needs.

From a reliability standpoint, odds are the NX will fare much better.
Old 11-20-14, 10:33 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And no offense but Ford is not considered to be a Luxury car maker. Not saying that you can't compare the two and they can't be similar or Ford even better for what you need, but generally Ford would not be in the discussion for a "luxury" vehicle.
Old 11-20-14, 10:40 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

No reason you can't look at whatever interests you, but I'd guess it is more likely people will cross shop a Lexus against Lincoln than Ford. I am looking at the MKC.
Old 11-20-14, 11:26 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

well, people could think what they want.

but if you havent sat in a higher end, fully loaded (leather, all the good stuff) ford lately, then i suggest you check it out. the fusion is their more recent top tier models, and has a nicer interior than many acura and hyundai products.

i am not saying ford is of equal luxury to the NX, but the Ford Edge will represent the highest end of luxury in Ford's offering; and the NX, the opposite for lexus. therefore, the Edge and NX will not be too far apart in quality; although the value factor for Ford is vastly better.

The MKC is a spruced up Ford Edge, with a higher price point, and a duller image. MKC vs Edge, i'd rather pay less to not be seen in a lincoln.

In summary, what im saying is that going with a 45-50k CUV (the NX), which is the same size as the Rav4, is a hard pill to swallow knowing you could find more tech, more features, and more space from loaded Ford Edge...for far less money...at the expense of slightly lesser luxury.

Last edited by ThermonMer; 11-20-14 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-20-14, 11:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It sounds like your mind is made up. Good luck. There is no wrong choice.
Old 11-20-14, 12:44 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

far from it...havent driven either of them, as they arent out yet. just going by reviews and the numbers.

for all i know the NX will blow me away in person to the point that one could justify the premium. But the "gotta have it" factor is never really strong in the CUV segment.
Old 11-20-14, 04:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

^^^Some points to clarify

1. MKC is based on the Escape while the MKX is based on the Edge.
2. Agree. Ford and the Big Three in general have come a long way in the features and fit/finish departments. In fact the gap has narrowed from the non-luxury to luxury brands.

With this said, I can see the allure to cross shop with "lesser" brands but what keeps me drawn to Lexus over all else is knowing I am buying the best product in quality and reliability and superb dealer service which to me is the true essence of luxury and value. In addition, a vehicle like the Edge (although nice) will be so common it will get boring fast. So the fact that a Lexus is within reach for the middle to upper middle class personally makes it a no-brainer for me to afford and purchase. After all, it's a Lexus and that means a lot for any auto enthusiast
Old 11-20-14, 05:37 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I second Corrado's comments. Lexus does have a reputation for quality, though that is not necessarily extended to most other luxury brands. I looked at the new Edge and was surprised at 1) all the features available, and 2) how expensive it can get.

The MKX is Edge based, but will not receive its revamp until 2016. Right now the MKC is a more accurate features comparison even though it is a bit smaller. It's certainly more of a direct competitor to the NX than the MKX is anyway.

A 2015 Ford Edge with 2.0T AWD, Titanium & Driver packages has an MSRP of $45,490. It's only about 2-4k less than a loaded MKC or NX. The loaded MKC would have a 2.3T engine and better suspension that's also adaptive (Sport & Normal). It likely will have a stiffer frame for better handling and higher overall interior materials. The 180 degree front camera is not available on the MKC though, and again the MKC is a bit smaller.

The NX really can't compete directly with other luxury cars on features in the US. That loaded Edge has a lot more. As Corrado said though, you'll have a much better dealership along with a more reliable and well built car with Lexus. They are really tough to beat in that regard. Getting a service loaner (I've had an ES300h, RX350, and GS350 so far) is way, way better than sitting in the Ford lounge area half the day or figuring out how to drop off and pick up the car. My wife blew out her tire in pothole season and they gave us a car for 3 days because they were so backed up with pothole damage work. I was impressed. Also came back washed and detailed.

Last edited by sg021; 11-20-14 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-20-14, 06:08 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

thanks for clarifying between the mkc and mkx

im also comparing the two assuming a lease...so i cant compare lease deal to lease deal yet, so im just going off of MSRP vs MSRP

the price difference is a bit greater, because the ford edge has more features, so yes, fully loaded is 45k, but check the boxes on the Edge to the point of a loaded NX, and its low 40s, compared to the NX which is high 40s. and its a bigger car to boot. technically, i should be comparing the Escape, however, that is in a totally different ball park, and doesnt blur the lines of luxury like the 2015 Edge does with the NX.

i agree its hard to put a dollar amount to service, however, who the hell buys a lexus (speaking to the general population, not clublexus enthusiasts)? with a 3 year hold on a new car, we are only talking about a few dealership experiences, so it shouldnt really sway your decision of car brand too much. if we were talking about BUYING, then i wouldnt even be having this conversation, as the lexus is the clear winner in resale and maintenance.

guess time will tell when they are both released...and lease rates start to normalize a few months out.

Last edited by ThermonMer; 11-20-14 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-20-14, 06:29 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Unless Ford reliability has changed drastically in the last 3 yrs I wouldn't get into a Ford. I bought 2012 Ford Edge Sport thinking that Ford reliability had gotten better but I was dead wrong. And it may have alot more tech but Ford tech is very finicky and I'm always having to take my Edge in for some electrical/tech issue. Once the new RX/NX's come out I will be looking to get back to Lexus.
Old 11-21-14, 06:29 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Just remember what the old saying about what FORD means is, Fix Or Repair Daily

Kidding, best of luck in your choice, I don't really think you can go wrong with your selection as long as you are happy with it in the end.
Old 11-21-14, 02:18 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by philwojo
Just remember what the old saying about what FORD means is, Fix Or Repair Daily

Kidding, best of luck in your choice, I don't really think you can go wrong with your selection as long as you are happy with it in the end.
And...

Fast Only Rolling Downhill
Found On Road Dead

These degrading acronyms somewhat held true back in the eighties and nineties. Today, however, it's far less common to see a Ford or any car for that matter with a major mechanical issue - remember the hood popped up and steam blowing out of the car stranded on the side of the road?

Note though the Ford Ecoboost family of engines have had their fair share of issues so there is still room for improvement. They have the interior and styling , just need to further polish their product portfolio.

I posted this a while back to show where the MKC falls short in the fit/finish department which is something I highly value in the purchase of a vehicle and mostly why my money still goes towards Lexus. The NX pre-production vehicle I saw was superior and I can only imagine the production version.

Complete review:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post8635088
Attached Thumbnails 2015 NX vs 2015 Ford Edge-336681d1405975407-first-drive-2015-lincoln-mkc-mkc_3a.jpg  
Old 11-22-14, 03:31 AM
chas0215
Driver School Candidate

I own a Lexus RX 350 and a Lincoln MKC. So far Lincoln customer service and the local dealership have been every bit the equal to Lexus. They are both very customer friendly and I like both brands. Lincoln is trying hard to reinvent itself and as far as I'm concerned they are well on their way to succeeding. Just wanted to share my experience. I also agree that there is little value in comparing a Ford to a Lexus. They are different classes of vehicles and target different consumers.
Old 11-22-14, 04:17 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by chas0215
I own a Lexus RX 350 and a Lincoln MKC. So far Lincoln customer service and the local dealership have been every bit the equal to Lexus. They are both very customer friendly and I like both brands. Lincoln is trying hard to reinvent itself and as far as I'm concerned they are well on their way to succeeding. Just wanted to share my experience. I also agree that there is little value in comparing a Ford to a Lexus. They are different classes of vehicles and target different consumers.
Agree. Lincoln is better today than they were just 2 years ago and the MKZ and now MKC are the reasons. They just need a another two-three consistently good years to rate in the top 10 in the dependability/reliability surveys to get more attention and ultimately buyers like myself who equate a luxury brand to craftsmanship and reliability.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 NX vs 2015 Ford Edge