NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2015 Lexus NX on US site!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 12:00 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mors
...I'm not leaving the forums just because I'm not going to buy the NX, so I guess you won't be happy that my a** isn't going to get hit by the door. I'll still come back and look to see what people think about the NX once they have one, and see what troubles they may have. Who knows - 3 years may go by and we may end up owning one...it's just not for me right now.
You DID read the ENTIRE post, right? I am right there with you in the "would like to have it but probably will not" camp. I never said you (and others) weren't helpfull so not certain why you climbed up on that particular soap box? Personally, HUD is a meh to me. It's an interesting option but not one I would be willing to pay a dime to get. It's not like we have flying cars and NEED HUD to keep our F22's in the air. I can see my speedo "just fine" in the dash as it's already in my line of vision. But on the flip side, if Grey interior is the ONLY option then well, I am in your camp ... just for a different, equally petty reason so in that way we are "brothers from different mothers" after all!
Old 11-21-14, 08:05 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes. didn't want to start a war. I saw that you said you need to eat crow.
Just thought i had to explain I'm not one of those rich entitled a-holes. And i felt crappy thinking that HUD was the reason I didn't want this car, so I had to come up with others.
Best to ya.
Old 11-22-14, 04:00 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Husker4the
Once again confusion on the LDW - Lane Departure Warning ... Listed as LDW and not LKA - Lane Keep Assist ... The description made it sound like it's just a warning system with no steering correction.
Thinking I don't really care to have that option if it doesn't help correct the steering.
Originally Posted by Mors
According to the NX manual (http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...al-search.do):
If the system judges that the vehicle has deviated
from the current traffic lane, along with alerting the driver with a buzzer and
indications in the multi-information display, it will provide assistance by operating
the steering wheel to avoid further deviation from the marker lines

Putting semantics aside whether it's called LDA or LKA, the system is reactive in providing steering force to correct the line. In the video from 0:31, no flasher is on which is proof positive the system is intrusive without a flasher on which is great and what we expect. Question remains how the system behaves with a flasher on with the hope (and logic) the system does not intervene (unless if BSM triggers - that would be sweet).

Last edited by corradoMR2; 11-22-14 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-22-14, 11:52 AM
doomdealer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Question remains how the system behaves with a flasher on with the hope (and logic) the system does not intervene (unless if BSM triggers - that would be sweet).
According to the Lexus NX manual, the LDA system will not operate when the lane change signal is activated.

The link to the manual is here - see page 263 and onwards: http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_04-05.pdf

Here is the quote from the manual on when the LDA system will activate its warning:
■ Lane deviation alert function
When the following conditions are satisfied, the function operates.
When the lane deviation alert function operates, lane lines is displayed on the
multi-information display. (P. 265)
● When the LDA is on. (P. 263)
● When the vehicle speed is approximately32 mph (50 km/h) or more.
● When the system recognizes white (yellow) lane markers.
● When the lane width is more than approximately 8.2 ft. (2.5 m).
● When turn signal lever is not operating.
● When the emergency flashers are not operating.
● When driving on a straight road or through a curve with a radius of more
than approximately 328 ft. (100 m)
● When a system abnormality is not detected. (P. 266)
Here is the section that describes when the LDA system will actually apply a steering force to correct the steering wheel:
■ Lane deviation alert function
When the following conditions are satisfied, the function operates.
When the lane deviation alert function operates, lane lines is displayed on the
multi-information display. (P. 265)
● When the LDA is on. (P. 263)
● When the vehicle speed is approximately32 mph (50 km/h) or more.
● When the system recognizes white (yellow) lane markers.
● When the lane width is more than approximately 8.2 ft. (2.5 m).
● When turn signal lever is not operating.
● When the emergency flashers are not operating.
● When driving on a straight road or through a curve with a radius of more
than approximately 328 ft. (100 m)
● When a system abnormality is not detected. (P. 266)
Old 11-22-14, 01:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ That's good information. No mention of BSM and LDA alignment so possibly they are not. However, I'll be sure to test it out when I get the NX.
Old 11-22-14, 08:47 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Both the paper brochure and lexus' website are only listing the LDA as merely a departure alert system. Careful mention of alert system to help remind you to steer back to middle of Lane but no mention of assist. The owners manual may not be accurate or may be for another country's market is my fear, I love the LKA on our 2014 Acura MDX. And yes if you signal and someone is in your blind spot you get an audible alert but no assist back in your lane. The LKA does turn off upon signaling a lane change.
Old 11-25-14, 05:59 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I currently have HUD, ML and the standard easy exit. These are 3 things the NX does not have. I agree down the road they will add them but Lexus figures initially they don't need to offer them as there will be enough buyers who don't care. Maybe 2016 RX.

ps Love the HUD as I am tall and can't see the speedometer to start with.
Old 11-25-14, 08:08 PM
wildeklave
Pole Position

while HUD is really cool I wonder if it is really necessary. In the NX the Nav screen is higher up than on other vehicles and most drivers are accustomed to look at the speedometer in a standard spot. I do think this will become important in the coming yeas to save dash space for the infotainment and control units.

Mercedes with HUD

2013 Lexus GS

Lexus NX with Nav
Old 11-26-14, 08:38 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wildeklave
while HUD is really cool I wonder if it is really necessary. In the NX the Nav screen is higher up than on other vehicles and most drivers are accustomed to look at the speedometer in a standard spot. I do think this will become important in the coming yeas to save dash space for the infotainment and control units.]
Your picture comparison is a bit mis-leading as each is taken from different perspectives so they don't actually provide solid comparison. Merc has a NAVI as well that could be considered to be in the view of the driver but tht picture doesn't show it. However, the REAL issue is whether HUD is either "important" or "necessary" and while the answer to the first may be somewhat personal, the answer to the second (Is it NECESSARY) is obviously...NO and based on how many cars have HUD, it's also unlikely that HUD is importants as few buyers have opted for it and it's been available on many cars for nearly 20 years now so while some may 'like" the luxury of an HUD for 99% of the rest of the world it's truly a ...Meh
Old 11-26-14, 12:34 PM
Wagnerian
Rookie

It looks like Lexus does not allow lots of freedom in customizing options the way MB, Audi and BMW do. I personally find HUD distracting so am glad I am not forced to pay for it.

Good news. Local Lexus dealer just called me to inform they got NX F-Sport in and it is getting prepped. I made an appointment to test drive on Saturday. I am excited and hope I will like it.