NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Is NX a copy of RAV4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-14, 01:34 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
Although many may say that it is not and in deed only shares about 20% of the components; if you look at them side by side; (minus the front end) they are almost identical
Really?

Component sharing is 10% which is the floorpan/wheelbase, firewall, suspension mounting points, and components of the AWD system as the main contributors.

The fact is, all SUVs essentially have the same 5-door raised wagon or hot hatch look depending on the SUV category and I'd argue the NX might resemble slightly the Mazda CX-5 (a good thing).

In short, one will see what they want to see, but the fact remains that every body panel on the NX is COMPLETELY different than the RAV4 or anything else we've seen. Note the rear roof and rear window rake angle, shorter rear hatch height and bumper with dual-exhaust, the more prominent black wheel arches, the mirrors and placement on the door panel, door handles, the sculpted sides in the rear bumper, the sculpted beltline, and the most obvious the highly-sculpted side door panels and fenders, wheels, and so on. So many visual differences.
Attached Thumbnails Is NX a copy of RAV4?-lexus-nx-3.jpg   Is NX a copy of RAV4?-02-2013-toyota-rav4-fd.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 10-21-14 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-21-14, 07:59 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...and THE most dramatic difference between the two comes right down to the owners. The Rav4 owner will be the one with .
... the extra $15K of cash in his pocket...LOL

Please don't get sore. This was only a joke. Had this been an actual comment it would have been preceeded by a HEAR YE all Hear ye! LOl
Old 10-21-14, 09:23 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bunka
...and THE most dramatic difference between the two comes right down to the owners. The Rav4 owner will be the one with .
... the extra $15K of cash in his pocket...LOL

Please don't get sore. This was only a joke. Had this been an actual comment it would have been preceeded by a HEAR YE all Hear ye! LOl
HAHAHA hate to say it but its true... OR the Rav4 owner just cant afford to pay the 15K extra for a what some like to call lexus cars "A Glorified Toyota"
Old 10-21-14, 10:54 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

NX - A thing of beauty, a joy forever.
RAV4 - Soccer mom.
Old 10-22-14, 07:31 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

what I don't get is for two cars to be built on the same platform and the trunk space to be so different.

NX...17.5 cubic feet behind rear seats.

Rav4...38.4

How can Rav4 have double the trunk space?
Old 10-22-14, 08:41 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Originally Posted by tresmith00
what I don't get is for two cars to be built on the same platform and the trunk space to be so different.

NX...17.5 cubic feet behind rear seats.

Rav4...38.4

How can Rav4 have double the trunk space?
I wondered about that too. The NX trunk space is measured below what's called the "Toneau Cover", or what I call the swinging lid. Without the hinged trunk space cover, the trunk space is about the same. This is covered in another thread somewhere.
Old 10-22-14, 08:54 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
I wondered about that too. The NX trunk space is measured below what's called the "Toneau Cover", or what I call the swinging lid. Without the hinged trunk space cover, the trunk space is about the same. This is covered in another thread somewhere.
I think the fact the cargo measurement for the NX is under the tonneau is correct, but I think the cargo area is still quite measurably smaller than the RAV4 due to the more heavily sloped rear window. I'm curious to see the rear area in real life.
Old 10-22-14, 03:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Husker4the
I think the fact the cargo measurement for the NX is under the tonneau is correct, but I think the cargo area is still quite measurably smaller than the RAV4 due to the more heavily sloped rear window. I'm curious to see the rear area in real life.
very minor differences, corradoMR2 took measurements of all NX vs RX and it was barely any smaller.... pics are on this forum, forgot which tread.
Old 10-22-14, 08:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

In response to the recent above posts, the trunk measurements are in the Specs thread or here in the pic below.

The claimed 17.7 cu ft in the NX means it's just 3 cu ft larger than the CT? Impossible since I owned the CT and I know how much smaller that trunk was.

The claimed 17.7 cu ft in the NX means it's almost two and a half times smaller than the RX? Impossible since I own the RX, I have seen the NX, and the measurements don't lie.

The RAV4 is 38 cu ft large because the floor height is taller than the NX's, in fact similar or taller than the RX's and the rear glass is more upright making for a more box-like shape. My dad has a '13 RAV4 which I have driven and used several times including its cargo. If I get a chance, I will take measurements and post to show another component that clearly shows how different the NX is to the RAV4 structurally besides the design. In short, the RAV4 is not twice the cargo of the NX, but you can easily believe it is larger by a few cu ft thanks to the boxier dimensions.

In short, forget the 17.7 cu ft number since Lexus is obviously measuring that under the tonneau cover and for some really unfortunate reason, they are marketing this wrong. In doing some rough volumetric calculations based on the measurements of the NX and my ownership with the cars mentioned, an approximate realistic cargo volume behind the rear seats is ~30 cu ft ( +-2 cu ft). Now think about it in another way. It's very plausible to have 17.7 cu ft under the tonneau cover and another realistic ~12 cu ft above it totaling about 30! (12 cu ft value is of course less due to losses from the raked rear glass).

I've beaten this point in several other threads as well. I hope people see this and come to the same conclusion.
Attached Thumbnails Is NX a copy of RAV4?-343108d1411701639-nx-specs-packaging-and-pricing-thread-nxtrunkmeasurements.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 10-22-14 at 08:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jhs82 (06-03-19)
Old 10-23-14, 04:25 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The total cargo space in our 2013 RAV4 is shown as 73.4 Cu Ft. in the RAV4 brochure.

That's with the rear seats folded down. No other dimensions are given in the brochure.
Old 10-23-14, 04:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default RAV4 Dimensions

Here are the RAV4 dimensions. Neck and neck with the NX save for the height where it is about 7.75" taller than the NX. For estimation purposes, since all dimensions are similar with the exception of the height, we can estimate the approximate size of the NX cargo from this value.

7.75" / 34" x 100% = 23%

The RAV4 is about 23% larger than the NX or on the flipside, the NX is about 23% smaller:

38.4 cu ft - (23% x 38.4 cu ft) = 29.6 cu ft.

This is again close and consistent to a calculated estimate obtained from the RX, and shows the cargo behind the rear seats is closer to 30 cu ft than 17 cu ft.
Attached Thumbnails Is NX a copy of RAV4?-rav4_cargo.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 10-23-14 at 04:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jhs82 (06-03-19)
Old 10-27-14, 11:14 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

I think the fact there is some commonality is a good thing. I take my '09 RX to a Toyota store for service. Saves a bunch of money. Oil changes are about 1/2, brake parts are the same as on the Highlander as are many other bits (wiper refills, air, oil and cabin filters, fluids, etc.). So once it's our of warranty, go there and save. May not get the same swank coffee service or lounge frills, but the price is right and they are the same parts!
Old 10-31-14, 06:43 PM
raylor4
Instructor

(Toyota dealerships) May not get the same swank coffee service or lounge frills, but the price is right and they are the same parts! JasDmw

Roseville, CA, Toyota has a nicer coffee service/deli area compared to Lexus across the street.
Ray A.
Old 11-01-14, 01:24 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
(Toyota dealerships) May not get the same swank coffee service or lounge frills, but the price is right and they are the same parts! JasDmw

Roseville, CA, Toyota has a nicer coffee service/deli area compared to Lexus across the street.
Ray A.
The Toyota dealer in my area has a nice deli but it's pay as you go.
Old 12-29-14, 02:47 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice comparison.. as I was looking for this.

This is basically the same area that bothered me when I was comparing the CT and Prius. As you have illustrated kinda the same between NX and RX.. I just can't handle the lack of height from trunk deck to the roof. As you noted the difference is 2.75 " The 29" on the RX is really minimal for me as I haul my bicycle around often and prefer it inside as much as possible. I store it with one seat folder down as my daughter sits on the other side. This has worked out perfectly for me. I do the same with my Prius. For me to be able to do this, the height is crucial and barely squeezes in on the RX.

Also, someone noted, there isn't a spare tire with the NX? Then that would mean the RX trunk is actually much larger as all the space underneath is to accommodate the spare tire. The whole floor is raised up for the spare, tools and storage.

In the end, it's just a matter of which letter to you weight in on more, S, U, or V. This is a little too "S" to me for an SUV. At least Lexus has been consistent, the Lexus model is smaller for each comparable Toyota model.

Quick Reply: Is NX a copy of RAV4?