NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Is NX a copy of RAV4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 02:51 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, the RX seats are adjustable fore and aft to give a few more inches if you need it.
Old 12-29-14, 03:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfcyclist
Nice comparison.. as I was looking for this.

This is basically the same area that bothered me when I was comparing the CT and Prius. As you have illustrated kinda the same between NX and RX.. I just can't handle the lack of height from trunk deck to the roof. As you noted the difference is 2.75 " The 29" on the RX is really minimal for me as I haul my bicycle around often and prefer it inside as much as possible. I store it with one seat folder down as my daughter sits on the other side. This has worked out perfectly for me. I do the same with my Prius. For me to be able to do this, the height is crucial and barely squeezes in on the RX.

Also, someone noted, there isn't a spare tire with the NX? Then that would mean the RX trunk is actually much larger as all the space underneath is to accommodate the spare tire. The whole floor is raised up for the spare, tools and storage.

In the end, it's just a matter of which letter to you weight in on more, S, U, or V. This is a little too "S" to me for an SUV. At least Lexus has been consistent, the Lexus model is smaller for each comparable Toyota model.
True, the NX's cargo height is on the shallow side. The RAV4 is the better vehicle for bike carrying and we even fit an armchair in my dad's RAV4 recently. Similarly, the RDX has the smaller cargo compared to the CRV.

Spare tire exists in N.A. production NXs. Early prototypes/display models did not have it.
Old 12-30-14, 09:35 AM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Roof height at the point where the seat is folded down is key to terms of what you can haul around. I thought this is one of the most appealing things about an SUV as that is what distinguished it from a station wagon. Now with the roof line lowered, space wise, it's perhaps even less than a wagon? At the same time, it's pretty clear that's not what they are after on the NX.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
True, the NX's cargo height is on the shallow side. The RAV4 is the better vehicle for bike carrying and we even fit an armchair in my dad's RAV4 recently. Similarly, the RDX has the smaller cargo compared to the CRV.

Spare tire exists in N.A. production NXs. Early prototypes/display models did not have it.
Old 12-30-14, 08:35 PM
sleepyking
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
HAHAHA hate to say it but its true... OR the Rav4 owner just cant afford to pay the 15K extra for a what some like to call lexus cars "A Glorified Toyota"
Isn't a well-spec'd RAV4 right up to par with the NX's base pricing?
Old 12-31-14, 06:08 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Not really. You can't get the turbo charged engine in the RAV 4.
Old 12-31-14, 06:47 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry but that thing Looks like a Rav 4 that got hit in the face with a bat......
Old 12-31-14, 09:38 PM
nx200tmb
Driver School Candidate

I looked at the RAV 4.... in theory it could be a luxury version of the Rav 4, but in reality it's so much nicer than the RAV 4... way way nicer. I was shocked how much nicer the nx200t is compared to the RAV4.
Old 02-13-15, 11:39 PM
dunebuggy
Driver School Candidate

Default The RAV 4 connection is actually something to be very proud of

To all those people who consider any sort of RAV 4 connection to be somehow to the detriment of the NX's prestige...

May I just say that, at least in my opinion, any prestige SUV should consider it a privilege to have a genetic link to the RAV 4. And the NX's link to the RAV 4 is far more "prestigious" in my opinion, than say, the Macan's link to the Q5.

Why?
Because IMHO, prestige is a function of motor vehicle quality. Not merely equipment level.
And the RAV 4 is, quite simply, a brilliant SUV. Not to mention, arguably the FIRST SUV. But it is also an incredibly reliable machine.

In 2004, I test drove every SUV on the market at that time. But I settled on the RAV 4, and purchased a brand new 5 door RAV 4 Cruiser with all the extra packs I could get.
As of 2015, my RAV 4 has completed:

438,000Kms

It has:
  • Original engine
  • Original clutch
  • Original Gearbox
  • Never broken down
  • Never had any kind of major fault, repair or issue of ANY kind

All I have ever done to it is:
  • Service it every 10,000Kms
  • Use Premium Fuel at all times

If you know a Q5 with that sort of track record (or just about any SUV at all), I'd love to hear it.

A RAV 4 heritage is automobile royalty. We already know the Land Cruiser is the bulletproof king of the Toyota stable, and reputedly one of the most reliable cars in history. The RAV 4 is the baby brother of the stable, but deserves a similar level of respect within the Compact SUV category.

Funny sidenote: In 2004 one of the other SUVs I test drove was the Land Rover Freelander. This famously went on to become one of the worst cars in history with a massive number of reported faults. And yet to this day, I can still hear the Freelander name mentioned in connection with cars like the Evoque, as if this is something to even be remotely proud of (it isn't).

So if there's a 10% connection between the NX and the RAV 4, we might (if anything) wish that figure was higher (not lower).

Last edited by dunebuggy; 02-14-15 at 02:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jhs82 (06-03-19)
Old 02-14-15, 05:44 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ Well said.

What critics fail to mention for instance is the Audi roots to VW platforms and engines and how well that works for them...
Attached Thumbnails Is NX a copy of RAV4?-0400f6f33bf4cb6c2a889772d4418934x.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-14-15 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-14-15, 11:01 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dunebuggy
To all those people who consider any sort of RAV 4 connection to be somehow to the detriment of the NX's prestige...

May I just say that, at least in my opinion, any prestige SUV should consider it a privilege to have a genetic link to the RAV 4.
Why?
Because IMHO, prestige is a function of motor vehicle quality. Not merely equipment level.
And the RAV 4 is, quite simply, a brilliant SUV. Not to mention, arguably the FIRST SUV. But it is also an incredibly reliable machine.

It has:

A RAV 4 heritage is automobile royalty.

So if there's a 10% connection between the NX and the RAV 4, we might (if anything) wish that figure was higher (not lower).
Having had the 2013 RAV4 LTD I must agree with you 100% ! Nice review.
Old 02-14-15, 12:36 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nx200tmb
I looked at the RAV 4.... in theory it could be a luxury version of the Rav 4, but in reality it's so much nicer than the RAV 4... way way nicer. I was shocked how much nicer the nx200t is compared to the RAV4.
I wonder if anyone test-drove both RAV4 and NX, and if anyone did what were the impressions.

PS
before buying the RX, I test-drove the 4-cyl. Venza - totally different from RX in ride quality.
Old 02-14-15, 12:45 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by m1964
I wonder if anyone test-drove both RAV4 and NX, and if anyone did what were the impressions.
As I said I owned a 2013 RAV4 LTD. It was nice...but not as nice as the Lexus NX in ride, comfort, and technology. That's why I bought the NX.
Old 02-14-15, 12:56 PM
leej865
Driver

All automobile manufacturers create a set of standard platforms, give them code names, and then spread them across their line-ups. Many share underpinnings with others in the line up. It is a cost-effective way to provide variety for the consumer, that leads to more sales, while minimizing having to create whole new vehicles from the ground up. This is nothing new and has done as long as automobiles have been manufactured. Unsuspecting Internet know-it-alls, who actually know nothing, try to use this topic as if they have stumbled onto something new, and call it to everyone's attention in an attempt to show you how you have been duped into paying a premium price for a lesser vehicle.
Old 02-17-15, 12:06 PM
athiker
Rookie

Originally Posted by sleepyking
Isn't a well-spec'd RAV4 right up to par with the NX's base pricing?
Top RAV4 MSRP gets close to NX base but Truecar.com shows RAV4s selling considerably under MSRP, a pretty spec'd out AWD RAV4 LTD can supposedly be had for 1 or 2 thousand under INVOICE...which is 3 to 4 thousand under MSRP.

I didn't have a good experience in the Toyota show room after my test drive so didn't get that far, so I don't know how accurate the Truecar numbers are. It has been that way on Truecar for I'd say at least a month though.
Old 02-17-15, 12:57 PM
athiker
Rookie

Originally Posted by m1964
I test drove both on back-to-back days just last week. Over the past year I've driven pretty much every CUV out there plus a few other vehicles!

If I were to buy non-"luxury" the RAV4 would probably be it. I think its a very good vehicle all-around. Yes, the CX-5 handles better but when quality and everything else is factored in I think the RAV4 wins. Lots of storage space, definitely significantly more than the NX plus a lower lift height. However my other vehicle is a minivan so this purchase really only needs to fit my dog!

Rear seat room is very good, not quite as much as the NX. The rear seats are no where near as comfortable but they do recline. No rear air vents in the RAV4. The front seats are pretty good, but IMHO the NX's are some of the best I've ever sat in. Passenger seat in RAV4 is manual.

Nav system in RAV4 seemed pretty user friendly but the screen is lower and a bit on the small side after seeing the Lexus (I drove the NX first). The voice interface of the RAV4 is light years ahead of my '15 Honda Ody. I really didn't get to test out the NX nav, but am assuming its at least as good as the RAV4...I know it has the mouse track pad that takes some getting used to.

Power - RAV4 had perfectly adequate power for most situations, cruises around town or down the highway fine and can accelerate from 55 to 65 decently if pressed but its is considerably noisier on the highway and the fun factor is sorely missing. I, and my wife agreed, would leave the RAV4 in "Sport" mode 24/7. We both thought the NX 200t was a great blend of fun to drive and comfort. Not quite as sporty handling as say the BMW X3 but I'll take that half notch down trade for the better seats and ride comfort. I think the idle engine noise was less as well and you don't have to mess with that start/stop thing BMW has going on.

RAV4 has slightly better MPG and runs on regular. The NX drinks premium. Acceleration 0-60 mph is 9+ seconds vs 7 seconds. If you wan't to pass someone w/ the NX, it may not be a Porsche 911, but you are going to get around them. The RAV4 you need to pick your spots.

RAV4 stereo is okay, but not as good as the NX. The depth of sound is missing and there was a little vibration noise when the volume was turned up.

Styling - I've grown to really like the NX's styling in both standard and F Sport form. I've always disliked the fake upside down "U" plastic skid pad on the nose of the RAV4. I would only consider dark gray or black to hide it and make it blend in.

So is it worth the 12 grand or so more similarly equipped? Obviously the practical decision is no. The RAV4 will get you around with more stuff cheaper and likely for just as many years. However people spend money on vacations, dinners out, hobbies, etc. b/c they want a little fun once in a while. With the Lexus you get better better seats front and back, rear air vents, better stereo, more power, better ride and handling, fresher styling, some of the premium back at resale and more smiles.

If the other comparison is X3, Q5 and GLK...in that battle I think Lexus wins for two reasons. Your frugal side can justify the purchase b/c you should be able to keep the vehicle more than 3 years. More than 3 years of ownership strikes fear into most German brand owners I know...that's why leasing is so popular with BMW owners. Plus you will likely get into the car for a bit less to begin with. Its hard to get into a new, nicely equipped, AWD X3 or Q5 under $50k it seems.

The Acura RDX is nice and can be had for maybe even a little less than an NX, has a good reliability track record and is roomier. However, while it has good power I think it has a softer more isolated suspension/ride and was not as fun to drive. I like the styling okay but its quite different from the NX. It also inexplicably does not offer Blind Spot Monitoring at all. After having it in my Ody for 6 months I really like it, plus I will soon have a teenage driver in the family.

Happy to answer, if I can, any specific questions between the RAV4/NX200t. I've driven the RAV4 3 times now, the NX only once.

Last edited by athiker; 02-17-15 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Is NX a copy of RAV4?