NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Deciding between 200t F-Sport and 300h ... Please help :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-14, 02:25 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding between 200t F-Sport and 300h ... Please help :)

Thought maybe some others were having troubles deciding and we could help each other make an informed decision. We have decided on both interior and exterior color (Eminent White/Black) but are really uncertain about whether to go with the 300h or the F-Sport. Either route we go we will purchase a car with all options (loaded).

We will be coming from a hybrid car that gets 40 mpg in the city so it is hard to give up the fuel economy, but I really dislike the snub nose look of the 300h on USA models. I also dislike both the standard (17") and optional (18") rims. All that being said ... In a perfect world (and being able to have F Sport trim and rims) I would choose the hybrid every time over the turbo 4 cylinder.

As of right now we are really leaning toward the F-Sport (primarily due to disliking the snub nose SO much and disliking the rim options on the 300h) but there are a few things I'm not certain I'm liking about this sacrifice:
- loss of fuel economy
- inability to have cooled seats (especially with an all black interior ... Don't care for the red)
- inability to have REAL leather seats
- the all black headliner (a bit too dark overall for my liking)
- hoping the machined look rims aren't the only ones available for the F Sport ... Like the gray wheel moreso (and hoping they don't come with summer tires)

Any other options I would be forgoing by choosing F Sport over 300h?

I'm assuming a loaded 300h will be about $1k higher than a loaded F Sport or about the same price ... Hybrid premium canceling out the F Sport premium likely. Of course all of this also depends on how Lexus decides to package the NX regarding how they send them to the dealership. They tend to limit options to certain regions of the USA.

It would be nice to have the European options and possible F Sport 300h. Any thoughts?
Old 10-08-14, 04:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

You pretty much summed up the differences.

One key difference besides aesthetics is the ride. Expect the F-Sport to be stiffer and determine if that's a deal breaker for you.

Next, based on the RX/RXh and ES/ESh pricing strategy, expect at least a 3-4k premium between the F-Sport and 300h comparing top loaded ones because the hybrid tech costs, leather seating, power rear folding seat, cooled seats, etch on the h will more than offset the cost of the sport suspension and front bumper.

Other points:
the 200t takes premium vs regular gas for the hybrid.
The graphite F-Sport wheels only come with summer rubber 235/55/18.
If you don't mind the RX bumper vs the RX F-Sport bumper, chances are the regular NX bumper may appeal to you and grow on you over time.
You lose less than an inch in floor height in the cargo area with the h model (it's negligible).
Not sure if the triple L LED headlights are available on the F-Sport in the US. All the US model test vehicles I've seen had the round projector LED headlights.
Like the IS, the Fsport may also likely miss features like dynamic radar cruise, pre collision, and rear cross traffic alert, and memory seats with easy exit and power tilt/telescopic steering.

For me, it's form over function which is why the FSport won my heart, but sounds like to me the creature comforts especially the smooth and frugal hybrid powertrain (saving you gas station trips), leather seating, extra tech, sounds like the h is the better one for you.

PS, you can always change wheels from the h if you really don't like them.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-08-14, 07:12 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
You pretty much summed up the differences.

One key difference besides aesthetics is the ride. Expect the F-Sport to be stiffer and determine if that's a deal breaker for you.

Next, based on the RX/RXh and ES/ESh pricing strategy, expect at least a 3-4k premium between the F-Sport and 300h comparing top loaded ones because the hybrid tech costs, leather seating, power rear folding seat, cooled seats, etch on the h will more than offset the cost of the sport suspension and front bumper.

Other points:
the 200t takes premium vs regular gas for the hybrid.
The graphite F-Sport wheels only come with summer rubber 235/55/18.
If you don't mind the RX bumper vs the RX F-Sport bumper, chances are the regular NX bumper may appeal to you and grow on you over time.
You lose less than an inch in floor height in the cargo area with the h model (it's negligible).
Not sure if the triple L LED headlights are available on the F-Sport in the US. All the US model test vehicles I've seen had the round projector LED headlights.
Like the IS, the Fsport may also likely miss features like dynamic radar cruise, pre collision, and rear cross traffic alert, and memory seats with easy exit and power tilt/telescopic steering.

For me, it's form over function which is why the FSport won my heart, but sounds like to me the creature comforts especially the smooth and frugal hybrid powertrain (saving you gas station trips), leather seating, extra tech, sounds like the h is the better one for you.

PS, you can always change wheels from the h if you really don't like them.

Hope this helps.
That does help actually ... Thanks. The graphites only coming in summer rubber is a bummer ... I suppose most of the NX F Sports shipped here will have the machined with all season tires. Also wouldn't be too happy with the round projector LEDs. No memory seats would be a problem but I think they'll be on the F Sport.

Thinking about all of this makes me think you're right about the 300h being more of what we want, but when I think about that front it makes me not want to get an NX completely. Not sure I want the F Sport regarding all the things you stated either. Hmmmmm ...

Maybe we should take another look at the X3 diesel or wait for the next iteration of the Prius?
Old 10-09-14, 01:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Husker4the
Thought maybe some others were having troubles deciding and we could help each other make an informed decision. We have decided on both interior and exterior color (Eminent White/Black) but are really uncertain about whether to go with the 300h or the F-Sport. Either route we go we will purchase a car with all options (loaded).

We will be coming from a hybrid car that gets 40 mpg in the city so it is hard to give up the fuel economy, but I really dislike the snub nose look of the 300h on USA models. I also dislike both the standard (17") and optional (18") rims. All that being said ... In a perfect world (and being able to have F Sport trim and rims) I would choose the hybrid every time over the turbo 4 cylinder.

As of right now we are really leaning toward the F-Sport (primarily due to disliking the snub nose SO much and disliking the rim options on the 300h) but there are a few things I'm not certain I'm liking about this sacrifice:
- loss of fuel economy
- inability to have cooled seats (especially with an all black interior ... Don't care for the red)
- inability to have REAL leather seats
- the all black headliner (a bit too dark overall for my liking)
- hoping the machined look rims aren't the only ones available for the F Sport ... Like the gray wheel moreso (and hoping they don't come with summer tires)

Any other options I would be forgoing by choosing F Sport over 300h?

I'm assuming a loaded 300h will be about $1k higher than a loaded F Sport or about the same price ... Hybrid premium canceling out the F Sport premium likely. Of course all of this also depends on how Lexus decides to package the NX regarding how they send them to the dealership. They tend to limit options to certain regions of the USA.

It would be nice to have the European options and possible F Sport 300h. Any thoughts?
Hm, usually F-Sport premium is canceling Luxury premium, right? So hybrid "Luxury" could be quite a bit more than F-Sport.... maybe $3k even? I dont see any reason for Lexus USA to expect only 10% of 300h sales, unless the pricing is pretty different.

In Europe, 300h F-Sport Premium, with all the options, is crazy expensive vehicle... €20k more than mid-spec 300h AWD. I cant imagine buying it without buying used 3yr old where the price premium is gone.

Last edited by spwolf; 10-09-14 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-09-14, 02:11 AM
Nights
Pole Position

In Australia, the 300h will actually cost less than the equivalent 200t, and it may be that way in other markets as well.
Old 10-09-14, 03:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nights
In Australia, the 300h will actually cost less than the equivalent 200t, and it may be that way in other markets as well.
Lexus Europe (which includes AU) positioned Turbo model as premium one, and with higher taxes included, it is more money than 300h... AU is very similar to that. Lexus EU is simply eating up the additional costs of hybrid system.

In Japan, 300h is 10% more expensive. I believe Canada is also the same (not sure, we have had prices posted here).

If the pricing was the same, or even same as ES300h vs ES350 ($2.5k), then Lexus would anticipate more sales... ES300h sells around 25%. Lexus is thinking only 10% for NX300h, which means higher price difference.
Old 10-09-14, 05:23 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Maybe we should take another look at the X3 diesel or wait for the next iteration of the Prius?
Just for some additional perspective. The information we know as of today may still change regarding features, options/packaging as well as our educated guesses on pricing. SO don't make final decisions just yet This makes for good conversation while we wait for the official info to be released any day.

Originally Posted by spwolf
In Japan, 300h is 10% more expensive. I believe Canada is also the same (not sure, we have had prices posted here).

If the pricing was the same, or even same as ES300h vs ES350 ($2.5k), then Lexus would anticipate more sales... ES300h sells around 25%. Lexus is thinking only 10% for NX300h, which means higher price difference.

Agreed on this assessment. Andto further support this, the RXh also reflects a price premium in the US (and Canada). Which is why I believe the NXh will be positioned at a premium cost in N.A. as well. This is despite the possibility that the new Lexus Turbo 4 may actually cost as much or more today to produce than than the 2.5L Hybrid Synergy Drive that has had 7 years to recoup costs in the ever popular and high-selling Camry (and Avalon, HS, and ES).

In Canada, (unlike the US), the NXh will only come as one fully loaded "Executive" model that will have the power rear seats, BSM, RCTA, LDA, Radar cruise/PCS, leather, memory seats, NAV, wireless charger, etc which has slightly more features than a top F-Sport here so I expect the NXh to be around 4-5K more here. For some perspective, an RXh is about 7-8K more in Canada than a similarly equipped RX350.
Old 10-09-14, 08:26 AM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Just for some additional perspective. The information we know as of today may still change regarding features, options/packaging as well as our educated guesses on pricing. SO don't make final decisions just yet This makes for good conversation while we wait for the official info to be released any day.

Agreed on this assessment. Andto further support this, the RXh also reflects a price premium in the US (and Canada). Which is why I believe the NXh will be positioned at a premium cost in N.A. as well. This is despite the possibility that the new Lexus Turbo 4 may actually cost as much or more today to produce than than the 2.5L Hybrid Synergy Drive that has had 7 years to recoup costs in the ever popular and high-selling Camry (and Avalon, HS, and ES).

In Canada, (unlike the US), the NXh will only come as one fully loaded "Executive" model that will have the power rear seats, BSM, RCTA, LDA, Radar cruise/PCS, leather, memory seats, NAV, wireless charger, etc which has slightly more features than a top F-Sport here so I expect the NXh to be around 4-5K more here. For some perspective, an RXh is about 7-8K more in Canada than a similarly equipped RX350.
I received info on the production runs for my area and was quite disappointed at the features included. A special order could take quite a long time I was told. I suppose initial runs are to keep the sticker down to help bring in those new to Lexus that don't want to see an exorbitant sticker price.

Disappointing to those of us who want all the bells and whistles. This is one case where I appreciate the customization possibilities of BMW.

I'm looking forward to prices to see just how much more a diesel X3 the way I want it will be over a loaded F Sport or 300h.

I suppose I could buy an F Sport from another region with the gray wheel/summer tire package (and trade out the tires come winter).

Last edited by Husker4the; 10-09-14 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-09-14, 11:32 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

For some perspective, an RXh is about 7-8K more in Canada than a similarly equipped RX350.
That same delta for the RX Hybrid here in the states is right at a $6K premium which may be just due to the fewer "standard" options (I guess)
Old 10-09-14, 11:37 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Thinking about all of this makes me think you're right about the 300h being more of what we want, but when I think about that front it makes me not want to get an NX completely. Not sure I want the F Sport regarding all the things you stated either. Hmmmmm ...
If the ONLY thing that is holding you back is that grill, why not simply have the dealership order you a F-Sport grill and swap them before you even take delivery? Admitedly, it would not be "cheap" but it could be an option...
Old 10-09-14, 02:05 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bunka
If the ONLY thing that is holding you back is that grill, why not simply have the dealership order you a F-Sport grill and swap them before you even take delivery? Admitedly, it would not be "cheap" but it could be an option...
That's a good point ... I had thought of that but then considered the cost, especially concerning the new fog lamps, lower fascia (not just the grille) and figured it would be awfully pricy. Add in new rims as well and likely looking at $3-4k I'd imagine? It's still a possibility I suppose.
Old 10-09-14, 02:18 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

That's a good point ... I had thought of that but then considered the cost, especially concerning the new fog lamps, lower fascia (not just the grille) and figured it would be awfully pricy. Add in new rims as well and likely looking at $3-4k I'd imagine? It's still a possibility I suppose.
I would wait on the fog lamps. I think that the ones you are concerned about were only prototype ones. All fog lamps may well be the same in the production models so it would only be the grill itself that needed replacing to give you that look you want.
Old 10-15-14, 08:35 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

checked out the US models on the NX configuration site and it shows the L shaped LED headlights. i'm sure it will be an option for base 200t and standard probably for F Sport and 300h.
Old 10-17-14, 10:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

going back to this thread, if I lived in US, 2.0t would be mine... with fuel being low, and hybrid premium high in this case, it is not worth it.
Old 10-19-14, 04:12 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
checked out the US models on the NX configuration site and it shows the L shaped LED headlights. i'm sure it will be an option for base 200t and standard probably for F Sport and 300h.
The LEDs are not standard for the F Sport and 300h ... The first run builds coming to our region for both the F sport and 300h do not include the LEDs. It appears they are an $1160 option ... They come with auto bright lights on the 300h but not the F Sport. The LEDs are included in the Luxury Package on the 300h but that package is not part of the first run of 300h model for my region (Midwest).

I am a bit disappointed at the builds because I would like an F Sport with the LEDs and grey wheels rather than the machined. If ordering I might order the power rear seats too.

Quick Reply: Deciding between 200t F-Sport and 300h ... Please help :)