NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

ClubLexus Review: NX200t F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-14, 12:36 PM
CrysDark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference needs to be more than 3k, or else why not just get the big brother model?
Old 10-08-14, 07:02 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lcneed
44K seems reasonable. The average price paid for the 2014 RX450H is under $47k here in So Cal.
This statement doesn't make sense. It appears that the BEST anyone is getting off MSRP on ANY lexus vehicle is aroud 12%. RX450h's equipped like I pointed out are from $54 to $57K. 12% off $54K is still OVER $47K so I don't see how the AVERAGE price paid could possibly be UNDER $47K but perhaps I am missing something.

PS - The RX450h is not in contention in our viewpoint as the fuel economy is not significant enough to make any difference from our '06 HiHy 4x4 that averages 26MPG (dead NORMAL). The wife would not want to sink $30K+ into a nearly identical SUV with no better fuel economy. She'd buy a '15 ES300h first.
Old 10-08-14, 09:52 PM
CrysDark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bunka
This statement doesn't make sense. It appears that the BEST anyone is getting off MSRP on ANY lexus vehicle is aroud 12%. RX450h's equipped like I pointed out are from $54 to $57K. 12% off $54K is still OVER $47K so I don't see how the AVERAGE price paid could possibly be UNDER $47K but perhaps I am missing something.
Curious on this, my dealer has quoted me $100 over dealer invoice, this was exactly what I got my CT for at another dealer over 400 miles away from the one I am working with now.

This isn't how they all do it? Looking to learn here as this is the third time ever I will be buying from a dealer ....
Old 10-09-14, 03:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by CrysDark
The difference needs to be more than 3k, or else why not just get the big brother model?
difference will certainly be more than $3k once initial demand for NX is off and once new RX comes... but it is hard to compare RX in its last year with huge discounts with brand new exciting model that is just coming out and whole world wants to get.
Old 10-09-14, 06:12 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CrysDark
Curious on this, my dealer has quoted me $100 over dealer invoice, this was exactly what I got my CT for at another dealer over 400 miles away from the one I am working with now.

This isn't how they all do it? Looking to learn here as this is the third time ever I will be buying from a dealer ....
Some dealers ARE realtively aggrssive and may quote $100 over cost but the answer to your question is... "No, of course they don't". And the answer is obvious as most are like any other business. They are trying to get as close to MSRP as they possibly can so that they can show good profit margins. This is classic supply and demand that you learned in High School economics. If there are a lot of people trying to buy a limited-supply of something, the price will be higher. If there are few buyers and an oversupply of something, the price will fall.

Your dealer 400 miles away might not have had the demand or they may be more in touch with what it takes to sell a CT and that, as you experienced, was for them to discount it to $100 over invoice in order to "get your business".

One of the things that has occurred with Lexus recently is that Lexus raised their "Invoice" costs from around a 12% discount to MSRP to a 6% discount off MSRP. So, now a dealer can say "Sure, I'll sell it to you for 6% over MSRP" and they will ACTUALLY be keeping the other 6% as a type of built-in profit. So, the question may be... WHICH MSRP did you get them to agree to the $100 over? If your final MSRP-to-Purchase price wasn't close to 12% off, then you got the higher costs. That's way simply trying to by a few $'s over "Invoice" isn't what you may think it is. Dealers are simply continuing to "play the game".

Bottom line is that NOBODY will EVER be able to say that they got the "best deal" because someone else will ALWAYS be able to do better (relative, employee, etc). The bottom line is that you pick a point in the sand that makes thje deal worth it to YOU.
Old 10-09-14, 07:58 AM
lcneed
Driver

Originally Posted by lcneed
The average price paid for the 2014 RX450H is under $47k here in So Cal.
Sorry the average price paid was not meant to be the average price paid for the RX450h equipped with your list. It was the average price paid for all the RX450h sold in my area. Keep in mind that I am in So CAL where there are about 12 to 15 Lexus dealers within 60 miles. Most dealers sell the commonly configured Lexus at invoice (the real invoice price) + $500. When I bought my CT, I got it at invoice because they didn't have my color and I was going to walk away. They finally just drive one from another dealer (15 miles away) for me. But it was funny that that dealer where my car came from wanted invoice + $1000 when I was talking to him earlier.. LOL.
Old 10-10-14, 02:35 PM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

On a brand new model where the factory cannot keep up or fill needs - don't expect any deals. I doubt you see any real significant deals until summer. Unless they cannot move overstocked hybrid models - seriously doubt it.

If you think this November you will get a 46-47k NX for 42k .....I got a bridge to sell you.

They are expecting to sell a ton of this model but they first need to fill the early adopters orders. I say maybe in the spring they might have the early birds satisfied. Then they will have to work harder for sales . Once they have zones full of NX's you will see some leeway.
Then I will pounce on my dealer and play hardball this is my favorite part of car buying. End of quarters , end of months sometimes things work out better. Not early on in a new models life though.
Old 10-10-14, 04:28 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tom59
On a brand new model where the factory cannot keep up or fill needs - don't expect any deals. I doubt you see any real significant deals until summer. Unless they cannot move overstocked hybrid models - seriously doubt it.

If you think this November you will get a 46-47k NX for 42k .....I got a bridge to sell you.

They are expecting to sell a ton of this model but they first need to fill the early adopters orders. I say maybe in the spring they might have the early birds satisfied. Then they will have to work harder for sales . Once they have zones full of NX's you will see some leeway.
Then I will pounce on my dealer and play hardball this is my favorite part of car buying. End of quarters , end of months sometimes things work out better. Not early on in a new models life though.
And here I thought it was me that had done the "supply and demand" speech three posts earlier in this thread. Please re-read my posts. I am pretty certain I was saying that I thought I would be "lucky" to get a $46 or $47K NX for FORTY-FOUR. That is a 6% discount to the new "adjusted" Invoice. If the local dealer won't do it, certain members of my family do business with a Lexus dealer or two and they said that they WOULD sell me ANYTHING at Invoice + $100. It would mean some travel and they may want us to wait until January when their "regular order" comes in but they would let me build it anyway we want at that discount so yes. We ARE hoping to pick up a 2015 NX300h that would normally MSRP for $46K-$47K for $44K. Interesting thing is that others in this thread think that may be a HIGH figure so at this point, we are all just on a "Hope & a Prayer" without a single clue as to what actually WILL BE.

Yep, I wasn't crazy. Here is my ACTUALLY quote from earlier in this thread (Post #29)...
Interestingly enough, if the MSRP is $46,500, then the "new" Invoice is probably right around that $44K target.
I also found this post by me on the first page...
We are hoping that we an identically-equipped 2WD NX Hybrid will be available between $42K to $44K which we feel would be priced well enough for us to consider it as a viable option.
... which was my first stab at it as others were indicating that the base BX200t could start "as low as $32K" and if so, there might be more room but even in that post I provided a range from $42K to $44K so...it looks like you may have confused my statements that "I can buy a $47K ES300h for $42K" today. That is not a mis-print. I KNOW I can do that deal on an ES but like the rest of us, we are waiting to see what the details are with these NXs

Last edited by bunka; 10-10-14 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-10-14, 04:57 PM
CrysDark
Driver School Candidate

Re-read my posts. I am pretty certain I was saying that I thought I would be "lucky" to get a $46 or $47K NX for FORTY-FOUR. That is a 6% discount to the new "adjusted" Invoice. If the local dealer won't do it, certain members of my family do business with a Lexus dealer or two and they said that they WOULD sell me ANYTHING at Invoice + $100. It would mean some travel and they may want us to wait until January when their "regular order" comes in but they also said that they would let me biuld it anyway I wanted and charge me that discount so yea, hoping to pick up a 2015 NX300h that would normally MSRP for $46K-$47K for $44K.
I'm in the same boat as you. I am patient and I can wait for the price I want.

I still think 44k is high though.
Old 10-14-14, 02:05 PM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

And here I thought it was me that had done the "supply and demand" speech three posts earlier in this thread. Please re-read my posts. I am pretty certain I was saying that I thought I would be "lucky" to get a $46 or $47K NX for FORTY-FOUR. That is a 6% discount to the new "adjusted" Invoice. If the local dealer won't do it, certain members of my family do business with a Lexus dealer or two and they said that they WOULD sell me ANYTHING at Invoice + $100. It would mean some travel and they may want us to wait until January when their "regular order" comes in but they would let me build it anyway we want at that discount so yes. We ARE hoping to pick up a 2015 NX300h that would normally MSRP for $46K-$47K for $44K. Interesting thing is that others in this thread think that may be a HIGH figure so at this point, we are all just on a "Hope & a Prayer" without a single clue as to what actually WILL BE.

Yep, I wasn't crazy. Here is my ACTUALLY quote from earlier in this thread (Post #29)...

I also found this post by me on the first page...

... which was my first stab at it as others were indicating that the base BX200t could start "as low as $32K" and if so, there might be more room but even in that post I provided a range from $42K to $44K so...it looks like you may have confused my statements that "I can buy a $47K ES300h for $42K" today. That is not a mis-print. I KNOW I can do that deal on an ES but like the rest of us, we are waiting to see what the details are with these NXs

I wasn't giving a speech. You are comparing apples to oranges. ES300h is far from a hot model.

......NX models are new and from reports deposits are off the charts. I don't think they are going to stray from MSRP as long as early adopters are hot for them. January - still early. Hybrids though are not as big a seller.....you might get 6% - .......I am aiming a little higher and waiting longer.

I've owned Lexus's since 1993. I'm pretty sure prices will be explained in detail in a week or so......no reason to speculate. Early adopters always pay more. Not sure how fast they can ramp up production I think we will find out soon enough. These will sell like hotcakes initially. Hybrids are going to be limited. - I read that in some article......recently-

44k isn't unreasonable IMHO either......42k for a 46k model is....... knowing Lexus though they won't budge early on.
Old 10-14-14, 03:13 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tom59
I wasn't giving a speech. You are comparing apples to oranges. ES300h is far from a hot model.

......NX models are new and from reports deposits are off the charts. I don't think they are going to stray from MSRP as long as early adopters are hot for them. January - still early. Hybrids though are not as big a seller.....you might get 6% - .......I am aiming a little higher and waiting longer.

I've owned Lexus's since 1993. I'm pretty sure prices will be explained in detail in a week or so......no reason to speculate. Early adopters always pay more. Not sure how fast they can ramp up production I think we will find out soon enough. These will sell like hotcakes initially. Hybrids are going to be limited. - I read that in some article......recently-

44k isn't unreasonable IMHO either......42k for a 46k model is....... knowing Lexus though they won't budge early on.
Yep, I may well have to tap into that "Friends and Family" benefit but hopefully my local dealer will be willing to deal (6%) on a Hybrid order. Just waiting to see the actual prices...any day now...LOL
Old 10-15-14, 04:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

NX is going to be hot for a while... wonder if they can ramp up the production quickly, they are usually good with that.
Old 10-15-14, 07:33 AM
lcneed
Driver

Motortrend listed the base prices for NX 200 as $37K and NX 300H as $41K. I wonder if those are guesses or official from Lexus?