NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX F Sport in hand, what do you want to know?

Old 09-21-14, 08:21 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nights
You can't compare wheelbase along if you're comparing front and rear drive platforms since there are clear packaging issues that make a much bigger different to available space than just wheelbase alone.

And in terms of ride, nowadays suspension, adaptable dampers etc make as important a difference to ride as the wheelbase. The 3 and 5 series for example ride like night and day if u spec them with or without the adaptable dampers.
The power distribution mether in not material here (there are no "humps" in SUVs. Your premise is that technology can "compensate" for wheelbase dimsensions. I disagree for these 2 points: 1) Adding something like the adpative drive system to a vehicle increases cost by a LOT. In the X5d it would have been around 8%. Personally, I would rather put that additional 8% into a larger vehicle. 2) Wheelbase dictates the space available size of the interior seating positions. Placing a rear seat rider directly over the rear wheels tends to result in a poorer ride and requires the suspension compensate for a lot of issues.

This entire approach is like putting a Corvette body on a VW bug frame (like a cheap aftermarket clone) and then stating that "because the outside dimensions are the same", it will handle EXACTLY like a Corvette because we added dampening....

I do have faith in Lexus that they would not put out a POS but it looks like I will have to wait until we get them here in the states before I jump to the same conclusions that many here have already adopted.

Last edited by bunka; 09-21-14 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-21-14, 10:36 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by bunka
Your premise is that technology can "compensate" for wheelbase dimsensions. I disagree for these 2 points: 1) Adding something like the adpative drive system to a vehicle increases cost by a LOT. In the X5d it would have been around 8%. Personally, I would rather put that additional 8% into a larger vehicle. 2) Wheelbase dictates the space available size of the interior seating positions. Placing a rear seat rider directly over the rear wheels tends to result in a poorer ride and requires the suspension compensate for a lot of issues.
Suspension, tires, and and wheelbase contribute to ride comfort. Not one characteristic purely dictates over the other but sometimes just one element of the three can make the difference. As an example, the RX F-Sport's ride can be jittery on rough roads whereas the regular RX on the same Michelin rubber is much smoother. Here, one of the three criteria - the suspension (dampers and springs) tips the scale. So the same principle can be applied to the NX where the softer suspension and 60-series tires on the non-F-Sport can make the difference (better ride) over the F-Sport. That we can agree.

Where it is still TBD is how the AVS affects ride comfort. We can expect the dampers to stiffen on Sport S+ (as is the case with the IS and GS) improving handling and body roll further but what about the same vehicle in "Normal" drive selector mode? Will it actually soften the dampers more than an F-Sport without AVS (i.e. US market) and ride like a regular NX with the same 225/60/18 tires? No review to date has directly compared the three vehicles (NX, NX F-Sport, NX F-Sport w/AVS) so we cannot either approve or disprove any claims that AVS improves ride comfort. We just don't know t this time with the information out there. When I get my NX F-Sport (with AVS), I will surely focus on this and provide some tangible feedback.

As per cost, since it's a next gen AVS built on the IS's which is built on the GS's, a portion of the R&D costs have already been absorbed in those models so I don't expect it to be an 8% hike in $ purely for AVS. Case in point, if you look at an IS 350 F-Sport RWD which has AVS, the entire F-Sport package at $3900 is only a 9.5% price hike over the 350 RWD. This package includes AVS, pricier larger wheels/tires, heated seats, and the pricey LED headlamps as the major upgrades. How much of that 9.5% is the cost of AVS is unknown but logic dictates that wheels/tires and LED lamp modules account for at lease half the package's cost making AVS at most a 4-5% price hike, with my guesstimate at about 3% (1200-1500$). We'll know more definitively once Canadian pricing is out.
Old 09-21-14, 10:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

What matters is the wheelbase. The Q5 has a 110.5" wheelbase. The NX has a 104.7" wheelbase.
That's like comparing a mid-sized car to a compact as far as ride goes.
except the reviews say that NX handles like large luxury sedan and has a lot of space in the back and trunk :-).

Also, smaller wheelbase will make it nimbler.
Old 09-21-14, 10:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Where it is still TBD is how the AVS affects ride comfort.
just to point out how most of the vehicles that they journalists did not have AVS on them. So NX handles well without AVS as well.

AVS in NX is more advanced than the one in GS/IS, with 30 inner settings instead of 9 in GS. However most journalists said that they could not see the big difference between F-Sport and regular models so who knows.
Old 09-21-14, 12:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by rominl
just want to answer few more questions
i think the rear turn signals are regular bulbs (playing from memory), didn't check on the reverse lights though
Originally Posted by VAIF
Also are the rear turning and reverse lights LED?

Confirmed, at 13m25s in the video in this post, the rear turn signal is a standard incandescent bulb.

EDIT: Another unrelated observation in the video above , @60mph cruising, engine revs at about 1900-2000 rpm

Last edited by corradoMR2; 09-21-14 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-23-14, 05:55 AM
Nights
Pole Position

I do have faith in Lexus that they would not put out a POS but it looks like I will have to wait until we get them here in the states before I jump to the same conclusions that many here have already adopted.
My conclusions are based on the fact that I have driven the NX for more than 24 hours. I've also driven the other vehicles in question.

As I said before, the NX essentially drives like an IS wagon which is what I think buyers in this segment will want (especially in the European and Asian markets where the sort of road tanks that the US buyers love are frowned upon). It feels way more tied down than the RX, and the chassis feels responsive and composed, with some sportiness. Those that want the plush ride and luxury +++, will look to the '16 RX.
Old 10-11-14, 08:05 PM
Torqueless
Driver School Candidate

Did you have any pictures of the rear trunk space? Trying to get an idea/comparison with my rx
Old 10-11-14, 09:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Torqueless
Did you have any pictures of the rear trunk space? Trying to get an idea/comparison with my rx

See: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8727410
Old 10-11-14, 10:04 PM
Torqueless
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I realized youve been my guiding light in all my posts heh heh
Old 10-13-14, 11:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

i have to say corradoMR2 is a wonderful guy
Old 10-13-14, 04:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thanks folks. It's easy when you own (or are about to) the models in question.

I wish I had all the answers though since I'm looking for TPMS info to no avail. Wondering if they are different or the same part as the late gen Lexus vehicles (ie. 2013+ GS and 2014+ IS).
Old 10-14-14, 05:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i have to say corradoMR2 is a wonderful guy
you both are very helpful :-)
Old 10-16-14, 07:52 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks folks. It's easy when you own (or are about to) the models in question.

I wish I had all the answers though since I'm looking for TPMS info to no avail. Wondering if they are different or the same part as the late gen Lexus vehicles (ie. 2013+ GS and 2014+ IS).
I'm hoping Lexus will upgrade the TPMS to tell what individual tire pressures are. My RX only has warning light that comes on when you are 8 lbs below and not which tire. This is way too basic for this vehicle. I know other companies show all pressures(GM) You can even see the the pressures online. Maybe Lexus has updated since my 2013 era.
Old 10-16-14, 04:42 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I'm hoping Lexus will upgrade the TPMS to tell what individual tire pressures are. My RX only has warning light that comes on when you are 8 lbs below and not which tire. This is way too basic for this vehicle. I know other companies show all pressures(GM) You can even see the the pressures online. Maybe Lexus has updated since my 2013 era.
New models from '13 like the ES and '14 IS have it. NX, as well below.
Attached Thumbnails NX F Sport in hand, what do you want to know?-nxtpms.jpg  
Old 10-16-14, 05:32 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

New models from '13 like the ES and '14 IS have it. NX, as well below.
Thanks, Glad to hear it and see it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NX F Sport in hand, what do you want to know?