NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX F Sport in hand, what do you want to know?

Old 09-11-14, 11:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

alright, i am still testing more on the car but i don't want to leave everyone hanging, here are some feedback i have right now

Originally Posted by Husker4the
I would like to know:
- real world fuel economy
- front seat comfort (how snug/tight the sport seats are overall)
- real world space in rear cargo area
- how flat do the rear seats fold
- your opinion of the headroom
- a look at the space in the middle console
- some shots of the Nav screen in action ... How it functions with an iPod connected etc.

Are the rims on the one in your picture the ones that come with the all-season tires or summer tires? Or does the rim option matter?

Thanks for the offer to answer some questions ...
- pure highway, regular mode (not sport), reasonable driving, i was getting over 28mpg
- mixed driving (50/50) and some occasional "fun" driving, i am seeing around mid 23mpg
- the front seats are not bad at all. firm but comfortable and supportive. as mentioned, very similar to the 3is ones
- i will say more about cargo space and rear seats later
- head room is very reasonable imho. i am 5'7" so not very tall and there are still plenty of head room with my seating position
- will report more on the middle console room
- i will likely do a separate review on the infotainment system. honestly it's very similar to that on the 3is except the new remote touch pad

Originally Posted by Dreamlab
How does the Drive, Handling, Power, etc compare to a RX?
the car drives great, so far i am loving it. it's not the fastest obviously, but response and power is plenty for what it is imho. especially highway speed, it's performing extremely well

handling is simply awesome, again for what it is. i love tossing the car around and it's going in and out of traffic like it's nothing

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^All of the above plus:

- Compared to an RX F-Sport
- NVH compared to an RX

Thanks!
the car is nothing like the rx, in a good way imho. rx is plush, everything feels disconnected. if you read my review i am not thrilled about the rx f sport at all.

the nx is completely different. it has more road noise than rx but a much more refined engine tone. car insulation is way better. you get TONS more road feel with the nx which i love. suspension is firm. not necessary stiff but much stiffer and harsher than the rx. but again, the rx is so soft you feel like you are driving a boat and you are floating everywhere. nx is precise, firm, planted, and you feel confident doing everything

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Can you see the Nav screen in full daylight or does it wash out? One of my biggest concerns since they mounted the screen where they did.
the nav screen is actually ok, the resolution and contrast is good enough to read. however, the climate control and surrounding buttons suffer big time. they are completely washed out during the day, very hard for me to tell what temperature i have set, and what modes i have selected

i have tried this even at noon time when sun is right above the car

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
Interested to know if the NX seats are just basically the same as the IS350 F Sport seats? Specifically how do the side bolsters compare; are they just as big? My wife currently has an issue with my IS F Sport seats bc she can't lay her arms freely on the side since she's a little petite. Feels like her arms are a little forward leaning like how guys puff up their chest in the gym and walk with their arms out wide.
Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
thanks for the info. i'll wait to hear what rominl's inputs are too. i don't know how big of a person you are (no pun intended) but my wife is 5'4" and has trouble getting in and out of the F Sport seats in our 3IS, even when the seats are put at the highest setting. i think her issue is the fact that the seat has been placed lower by an inch in the 3IS compared to the 2IS and the side bolsters on the thighs make it tough for her to get out. what was your take on the seats (getting in, getting out) now that they are in a higher level for the CUV segment?
i have to recall back more on the 3is but it feels like they are very similar seats. the nx f sport seats do have noticeable bolsters if that's what you worry about. interesting coz' my wife is 5' and she had no problem getting in and out of the 3is (or isf).

if the side bolster on the thigh is the problem, now with the nx even higher, i am not sure if that makes it even harder for us to get over that "hump" and get out of the car? my wife will get in the car this weekend so i can see if she has any issues. will report back

Thanks for sharing and in line with my expectations! I'm expecting the NX F-Sport ride to be about the same as my 3IS F-Sport and RX F-Sport while NVH about like the 3IS. Correct me if I'm wrong based on your experience... I suspect a key contributor to the better sound insulation in the RX is the laminated front side glass whereas the IS and NX (based on high-res pics I've seen on the front windows) don't have it.
i personally would say the nx rides NOTHING like the rx or rx f sport at all. if anything the whole nx drives more like a 3is. my problem with the rx is lack of refinement. it's hard to describe but driving the rx i don't feel i am "protected", everything seems a bit raw, engine sound is raw, road noise is raw. the nx has more road noise, but the sounds are refined.

Originally Posted by Carver
More car or SUV?
i personally think it drives more like a car, a raised 3is? fwiw, i never felt the rx drives like a suv anyway.

Originally Posted by Mors
is it a US production model? What options are on it. There are tons of rumors about some options that may not be available in the US - HUD, ML, BSM, RCTA, sunroof, wireless phone charging, 360 degree cameras, heated front seats, cooled front seats.
my understanding is this is still a prototype but very close to production. i have to go back to the option list, but it has f sport packages, awd (standard on f sport), led headlights and foglights. it doesn't have hud (i doubt it would make it to the US), but it does have bsm and wireless phone charging. no 360 camera (again i doubt that option would make it here). it has heated front seats but no ventilated front seats. i don't think it has rcta either (or at least it hasn't been triggered at all if any). it does have the pre-collision alert system
Old 09-11-14, 07:04 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the grille/front end as hideous in person as is in photos?
Old 09-11-14, 09:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
that's really subjective. imho, the grille is big and definitely not for everyone. but given the target audience of this car and the flow on the rest of the car? i am ok with the look
Old 09-12-14, 04:48 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Thanks for the additional info! Does the screen pivot at all? I remember on my mom's old SC430, the screen had several different angles that were available to improve visibility throughout the day
Old 09-12-14, 06:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

In my experience, concerns about nav screens in direct sunlight is no longer a real issue. The improved contrast and anti-glare properties of the newer systems keep this from being an issue. Here's a picture I took of my 3IS screen, which also has no shroud, in the direct sunlight.
Attached Thumbnails NX F Sport in hand, what do you want to know?-img_3509.jpg  
Old 09-12-14, 06:40 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts

The one I saw last Wednesday was a red F Sport. The grill is definitely over the top, as is the L in the center. Appears to be too many creases as well; just doesn't "flow". The front end doesn't seem to stick out quite as much in person as it appears to in photos, though. Need to see a non - F grill in person before my mind is fully made up. This design appears reminiscent of the odd Japanese designs form the 70's and 80's where they were trying a lot of "creative" design things to differentiate themselves and the net result was off in some cases. Same goes for the rear tail lamp assemblies. They protrude way out from the body making a horizontal shelf, a bit like the FJ. Too bad Lexus decided to go that route here. It will appeal to some, but IMHO, most aren't going to swallow it.
Old 09-12-14, 10:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Allen K
Thanks for the additional info! Does the screen pivot at all? I remember on my mom's old SC430, the screen had several different angles that were available to improve visibility throughout the day
i don't see any ability to tilt the screen but nonetheless it doesn't affect the sharpness. simply put i never had issue reading details on the screen
Old 09-12-14, 10:51 AM
VAIF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How good are the LED headlights? compared to hids in the RX. Can u post pictures of the lights (low and high beams) against a wall and in a dark place please.. Also are the rear turning and reverse lights LED?
Old 09-12-14, 11:00 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Is the NAV screen size bigger than 7" from 3IS. In the picture it looks bigger.
Old 09-12-14, 07:54 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JasDmw
The one I saw last Wednesday was a red F Sport. The grill is definitely over the top, as is the L in the center. Appears to be too many creases as well; just doesn't "flow". The front end doesn't seem to stick out quite as much in person as it appears to in photos, though. Need to see a non - F grill in person before my mind is fully made up. This design appears reminiscent of the odd Japanese designs form the 70's and 80's where they were trying a lot of "creative" design things to differentiate themselves and the net result was off in some cases. Same goes for the rear tail lamp assemblies. They protrude way out from the body making a horizontal shelf, a bit like the FJ. Too bad Lexus decided to go that route here. It will appeal to some, but IMHO, most aren't going to swallow it.
Acura tried a 'big grille' thing and quickly went back to some more subtle (aka not accepted by the Acura buying community)

Currently I have an 06 IS350 (had since new) and my next car will be a lux small crossover/suv. Dimension wise the NX is what I would be looking for especially since I am a dedicated Toyota customer..but if the fugly grille is still there when it's time to replace the IS, Lexus won't be getting my money.

I find it odd that Lexus which since birth has been a pretty conservative brand..now all of a sudden he go radical (not just the NX but across the line)? Pretty dumb IMHO…

My guess is they 'pull an Acura' and go back to a more conservative look in a year or two max
Old 09-12-14, 09:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasDmw

Acura tried a 'big grille' thing and quickly went back to some more subtle (aka not accepted by the Acura buying community)

Currently I have an 06 IS350 (had since new) and my next car will be a lux small crossover/suv. Dimension wise the NX is what I would be looking for especially since I am a dedicated Toyota customer..butter if the fugly grille is still there when it's time to replace the IS, Lexus won't be getting my money.

I find it odd that Lexus which since birth has been a pretty conservative brand..now all of a sudden he go radical (not just the NX but across the line)? Pretty dumb IMHO…

My guess is they 'pull an Acura' and go back to a more conservative look in a year or two max
Fact is, unlike Acura's attempt, the spindle grille has elevated Lexus sales so expect it to show up in upcoming Lexus models as well.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 09-12-14, 11:01 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Fact is, unlike Acura's attempt, the spindle grille has elevated Lexus sales so expect it to show up in upcoming Lexus models as well.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
pretty early to rate the spindle grille a success. Lexus traditional customers are generally older (I'm 54) and don't go for all the new fangled stuff.. Time will tell if it was a good move by Toyota/Lexus.

I guess Scion hasn't work so well so far..attracting the 'hip' crowd..
Old 09-12-14, 11:51 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the big honeycomb front grill but I was wondering how protected it is to people parking and bumping your front bumper. Will the grill crack?
Old 09-14-14, 03:43 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

pretty early to rate the spindle grille a success. Lexus traditional customers are generally older (I'm 54) and don't go for all the new fangled stuff.. Time will tell if it was a good move by Toyota/Lexus.
The GX doubled in sales the last 12 months since the spindle was put on the front while all else remained the same.
Old 09-14-14, 04:15 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

The GX doubled in sales the last 12 months since the spindle was put on the front while all else remained the same.
I think you are forgetting that the front fish-eye headlight have been replaced by LED's. This is but one reason we are considering a GX as a future purchase.

Last edited by VVRX; 09-14-14 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NX F Sport in hand, what do you want to know?