NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Automotive Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-14, 12:18 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Thanks CorradoMR2 for linking as many reviews as you can find here. Great job!

Something about the article written by TopGear Australia -- how difficult for the author to verify basic information and proofread what is written?

There is no NX250h -- the article loses credibility.

"We’re yet to know what the price difference between F Sport variants and the basic NX 250h hybrid or all-new engined 200t will be, because the numbers aren’t set yet, but Lexus has strongly hinted the range will start in the $55,000-$60,000 range. And that the hybrid, which is more exciting than a mobility scooter to drive, but not by much, thanks to its whiney CVT gearbox and less than exhilarating acceleration (0 to 100km/h in 9.1 seconds, although you do get a claimed economy figure of 5.6 litres per 100km to compensate for your boredom), will be the entry-level model...."

Last edited by AndyL; 07-08-14 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-08-14, 12:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^yeah, had the same thought. In giving him the benefit of the doubt, it's possible he was thinking of the 2.5L displacement and unintentionally translated that to "250".
Old 07-08-14, 12:27 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

The nice thing so far about these first drives/preliminary reviews is they are raving about the smooth power delivery of the new 2L turbo four, something BMW never got applauded for and still to this day struggles to get. To me personally, I'd rather lose a few horses for trading up to a much smoother low NVH 4 cylinder. There's a reason why Lexus took so long to develop this engine and glad they never lost sight of NVH to stay true to the Lexus roots.

One thing I'm not 100% sure. I thought the Start/Stop tech came by default with the 200t (or with the Turbo engine). Yet the reviews don't mention it let alone their experience with the engine shutting off (if it does) when car is stopped (unless I missed this).

Any comments?

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-08-14 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-08-14, 12:55 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-08-14, 04:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
It's a shame. Platform sharing is all about cost saving, but if they go as far as replacing 90% of the RAV4 chassis and adding 400 lbs to it and not really saving any costs, then why bother? They could've started out with the IS/GS and come out with a truly capable compact crossover that they can properly claim to be the best in class in driving dynamics, while also not having to worry about having to explain to people how different it is to a lesser Toyota it is based on.
read any preview on IS or GS and show me where a single one said it was better than BMW in anything... NX previews are considerably more positive than any lexus in past 10 years. It is only in direct comparos that IS and GS got their wins, and it was for balance and not pure specs.

Besides, handling is the best thing mentioned on NX, with comfy ride and good handling... thats what you want in SUV and not for your teeth to fall off when you go over a bump.

european mags to this day say is gs handle ok but not up to bmw quality, including GS vs 5 series, which is just funny.
Old 07-08-14, 04:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

The nice thing so far about these first drives/preliminary reviews is they are raving about the smooth power delivery of the new 2L turbo four, something BMW never got applauded for and still to this day struggles to get. To me personally, I'd rather lose a few horses for trading up to a much smoother low NVH 4 cylinder. There's a reason why Lexus took so long to develop this engine and glad they never lost sight of NVH to stay true to the Lexus roots.

One thing I'm not 100% sure. I thought the Start/Stop tech came by default with the 200t (or with the Turbo engine). Yet the reviews don't mention it let alone their experience with the engine shutting off (if it does) when car is stopped (unless I missed this).

Any comments?
every market gets start stop tech as much as I have seen.

But here is few things I noticed:

1. As soon as Lexus presented the engine and said it would have smooth power delivery, I knew that some will "review" it as not as powerful, because there wont be big turbo kick that people expect and smooth power delivery would be confused with slow.

2. At least 3 of the above said that they tested US spec FWD drives only and that is ONLY what was available. So there was no preview of AWD system? It is confusing why would 2-3 mags get FWD only and other AWD - so likely everyone previewed only FWD. I noticed everyone else had some general info and nobody focused or said anything specific about AWD.

3. 2-3 reviews mentioned how MPG was very similar between turbo and Hybrid. We know that hybrid will get good mpg in real life as it powers other vehicles, so it means that turbo will also get great mpg... what some journos quoted for both was 23-24 MPG, which is great for testing in mountain area. We might get some really great mpg numbers in real life.
Old 07-08-14, 04:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AndyL
Thanks CorradoMR2 for linking as many reviews as you can find here. Great job!

There is no NX250h -- the article loses credibility.

CorradoMR2 is awesome.

As to credibility, most of them have some errors... even Alex on Auto's, which had by far the best review, had some errors - for instance he did not know that PCS system has city safety built in, since Lexus does not call it that way... but if you read the specs posted, you will see that they mention PCS working on its own up to 37 mph, which is basically what europeans call city safety.
Old 07-08-14, 04:23 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ Thanks folks. I've gone Google-mad today Thanks to others who have posted as well and will continue to!

As for the stop/start, surely there would be a disable button like BMW has? I haven't seen this button unless it's in the display options in the 4.2" screen. Just strange not one review (yet) even mentioned it.

Yes, people will always complain about lack of power, but smoothness prevails and I's so glad Lexus made this a priority over gaining an extra half second to 60 mph. To this theme, one or two reviews also said the Turbo lacked low-end power while others raved how peppy it is.

With my CT, rated at 43 MPG city. I got 50 mpg. My RXh I got a couple MPG over the 28mpgs, so I know one can easily get 36-37 MPGs with the 300h in city driving with just a little care in driving.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-08-14 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-08-14, 04:31 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 574 Likes on 394 Posts

With my CT, rated at 43 MPG city. I got 50 mpg. My RXh I got a couple MPG over the 28mpgs, so I know one can easily get 36-37 MPGs with the 300h in city driving with just a little care in driving.
I was thinking the same thing. Without going as extreme as hypermiling, I was able to get a pretty consistent 30MPG out of my mom's old 400h. It'll vary by person, but I think I could get some good MPG out of the NX
Old 07-08-14, 04:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

As for the stop/start, surely there would be a disable button like BMW has? I haven't seen this button unless it's in the display options in the 4.2" screen. Just strange not one review (yet) even mentioned it.
quite possibly none of them had auto start/stop system in preproduction vehicles - just like FWD mentioned to be on all preview cars.. Europeans Toyota that have this system have a button to control it.

But, as much as I remember, US press info did show start/stop system, so it will be there in production cars.
Old 07-08-14, 05:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

NX Automotive Reviews Thread-sn1iqdo.png
NX Automotive Reviews Thread-vj4x4r7.png

well, since corradoMR2 did all the work before, i had to find one possible pic for him :-).

It also could be for euro specific max speed limiter button.

this is how it looks in new JP Vitz /Yaris

Old 07-08-14, 05:47 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

well, since corradoMR2 did all the work before, i had to find one possible pic for him :-).

It also could be for euro specific max speed limiter button.

this is how it looks in new JP Vitz /Yaris

Good eyes. Here's a better pic from Lexus UK.

I wonder if the US-spec'd NX is getting the stop-start system, as it's missing in some pics.
Old 07-08-14, 05:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

clearly an A there... but not in any of US pics... however, they did list it in initial PR.
Old 07-08-14, 06:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thanks for finding the button. I hope I'm wrong for the US folks, but it's NOT listed in their press Lexus US release. Bad news is, this is also consistent with the "US models" tested at Whistler for which all these reviews posted so far are based on - none of the pics show the button, nor do any of the reviewers mention it.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...oduct+news.htm

In Canada, it's listed as a feature (as well as AVS and HUD, as a side note):

http://media.lexus.ca/releases/lexus...r-hybrid-power

SAFETY

The new NX is fully equipped with a comprehensive package of active and passive safety technologies and systems to help drivers avoid accidents, and to minimize the effect should an accident occur.

Safety features include Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Lane Departure Alert, Blind Spot Monitor, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, newly adopted cornering lamps and Head-up Display.
The NX has a standard backup camera, front and rear fog lamps, and all the standard Lexus active safety systems: Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Antilock Braking System with Electronic Brake Force Distribution and Brake Assist, and Smart Stop Technology.
The new generation optional Adaptive Variable Suspension networks with other systems to increase braking and steering control in emergencies.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy having these features here in Canada, but I don't get their omission for the US, 10x the Canadian market, like Lexus USA did with the IS omitting colors like USB and Atomic Silver for the F-Sport.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-08-14 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-08-14, 06:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

artificial price limiting plus not competing with RX... simple as that.

I wonder if they on purpose rated trunk up to the cover in the US so RX gets some breathing space.

Quick Reply: NX Automotive Reviews Thread