NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Automotive Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-14, 01:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks for pasting the article. I'm glad he's recorded mpg figures at city speeds. It confirms my suspicion that in city driving, one can beat the EPA estimate to attain real-world 40 mpgs. I also base this on my past ownership of the CT and RXh where I significantly beat the EPA estimate in particular the CT's. CT's EPA is 43 city and I averaged close to 50 mpg throughout my ownership experience.

So for those with a min mpg threshold to purchase the hybrid, take note you have control to do better with the NXh over EPA city.
Old 12-10-14, 02:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Car and Driver tested an NX200t AWD F Sport.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-tested-review

At a base price of $38,905 for the all-wheel-drive model and an as-tested price of $44,375 (which included a Premium package, parking assist, a sunroof, and blind-spot monitors in addition to the aforementioned navigation system), we’re not sure we would recommend the NX200t F Sport over the all-wheel-drive $41,450 BMW X3 or the $39,825 Audi Q5, let alone the less expensive X1 and Q3, which we see as more direct competitors. We would, however, recommend the F Sport over the standard version, as it turns the NX200t into an appreciably more sporting creature for a reasonable $2100. Just don’t push it.
Old 12-12-14, 06:54 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Good read from C&D. Not sure I agree with them that the NX competes more with the X1 and Q3 than with the X3 and Q5.

On C&D's reviews I like to look at their "Highs and Lows" and how they rank vehicles in their segments.
Old 12-12-14, 07:04 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Good read from C&D. Not sure I agree with them that the NX competes more with the X1 and Q3 than with the X3 and Q5.
Indeed, C&D has that wrong.

Lexus has engineered, sized, designed, priced, and clearly stated the NX competes with the X3, Q5, GLK, and RDX. We can throw in the Volvo XC60, MKC, QX50. Evoque is arguable due to its smaller size (like X1, Q3, GLA) but higher price point; while we all know the Macan is in a class of its own.
Old 12-12-14, 07:21 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Indeed, C&D has that wrong.

Lexus has engineered, sized, designed, priced, and clearly stated the NX competes with the X3, Q5, GLK, and RDX. We can throw in the Volvo XC60, MKC, QX50. Evoque is arguable due to its smaller size (like X1, Q3, GLA) but higher price point; while we all know the Macan is in a class of its own.
I agree that the NX competes with the X3, GLK, Q5, MKC, RDX and EX35.

I wouldn't include the Volvo XC60 since it's not a luxury brand, maybe more in line with the Buick Encore.

The Cadillac SRX competes more with the Lexus RX.

Last edited by Trexus; 12-12-14 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-12-14, 07:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Trexus
I agree that the NX competes with the X3, GLK, Q5, MKC, RDX and EX35.

I wouldn't include the Volvo XC60 since it's not a luxury brand, maybe more in line with the Buick Encore.
You meant the upcoming 2016 compact CUV Buick Envision? The Encore is a sub-compact CUV similar to the Chevy Trax and smaller than a Lexus CT!

Volvo is arguably "near-luxury" bordering on "luxury" today. Have you seen the new XC90 and it's superbly crafted interior easily competing with the ML, Q7, and X5? Volvo is clearly stepping up their luxury DNA to at least the equivalent of Acura. With this in mind and the price point right in there with the NX, it makes it a natural competitor. One can also argue Lincoln (and Acura) in the same "near-luxury" boat as Volvo, and again since their CUV offerings are all similarly optioned, sized, and priced, they will be cross-shopped against the NX and the others in the class.

Buick is more a "premium" brand at a half notch below the "near-luxury" brands (i.e. Acura) which are at a half notch below the "luxury" brands (i.e. Lexus). And to continue with this (might as well finish it off ), it ends off with the "ultra-luxury" brands like the defunct Maybach, and still present Rolls Royce and Bentley.
Old 12-12-14, 09:10 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You meant the upcoming 2016 compact CUV Buick Envision? The Encore is a sub-compact CUV similar to the Chevy Trax and smaller than a Lexus CT!

Volvo is arguably "near-luxury" bordering on "luxury" today. Have you seen the new XC90 and it's superbly crafted interior easily competing with the ML, Q7, and X5? Volvo is clearly stepping up their luxury DNA to at least the equivalent of Acura. With this in mind and the price point right in there with the NX, it makes it a natural competitor. One can also argue Lincoln (and Acura) in the same "near-luxury" boat as Volvo, and again since their CUV offerings are all similarly optioned, sized, and priced, they will be cross-shopped against the NX and the others in the class.

Buick is more a "premium" brand at a half notch below the "near-luxury" brands (i.e. Acura) which are at a half notch below the "luxury" brands (i.e. Lexus). And to continue with this (might as well finish it off ), it ends off with the "ultra-luxury" brands like the defunct Maybach, and still present Rolls Royce and Bentley.
Agreed - the upcoming XC90 is impressive. Look at their infotainment interface. And the shift **** is made of crystal by Sweden manufacturer, Orrefors

Back to the C&D review --- the screenshot is from a Japanese magazine on NX only which compares its competitors. It also supports the claim that NX, Q3, X3 are very simillarly sized.
Attached Thumbnails NX Automotive Reviews Thread-img_0230.jpg  

Last edited by AndyL; 12-12-14 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-13-14, 03:02 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's a thread on opinions regarding ranking the various luxury makers/brands.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...t-lineups.html
Old 12-13-14, 07:14 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by AndyL
Agreed - the upcoming XC90 is impressive. Look at their infotainment interface. And the shift **** is made of crystal by Sweden manufacturer, Orrefors

Back to the C&D review --- the screenshot is from a Japanese magazine on NX only which compares its competitors. It also supports the claim that NX, Q3, X3 are very simillarly sized.
AndyL, any way to enlarge the image or post the URL? Would love to see the dimensions.
Old 12-13-14, 09:01 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

AndyL, any way to enlarge the image or post the URL? Would love to see the dimensions.
They are actually 2 pages of a magazine in electronic form that I purchased online.

Previously I took the snapshot when viewing them in landscape mode

Here you go -- I separated them in separate images and they should be much clearer now..
Attached Thumbnails NX Automotive Reviews Thread-img_0231.jpg   NX Automotive Reviews Thread-img_0232.jpg  
Old 12-23-14, 04:58 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Brutal NX review

The highly respected Australian motoring magazine Wheels, has just published a brutal review of the 300h NX in its car of the year awards.

It reads "the first lively throttle prod results in a charmless CVT drone....inconsistent ESC and numb steering .....wooden brake-pedal action takes us back to the early Bush era". "Throw in an old-school nickel hybrid battery when even the 2012 Prius V switched to Lithium ion...the latest Lexus SUV looks a lot like a GFC victim" " Fuel economy and interior design aside, the NX 300h is off the luxury SUV pace for tech and refinement, feeling like the jumped up RAV 4 it is."

I have purchased 2 cars on this magazine recommendations. Sat in the NX on the weekend and was impressed with interior but didn't't get to drive it. Have booked a drive test for next week. Hope review is wrong as the f-sport 300 h variant I'm looking at is $83000 drive away with metallic paint.

Could be a costly mistake especially If Lexus may soon upgrade to Lithium ion battery.
Old 12-23-14, 05:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

What they fail to mention is the bullet proof reliability of the Toyota/Lexus hybrid synergy drive on NiMh and the superior city fuel economy over its competitors. Majority of global reviews love the 300h and the only small common negatives are the CVT drone and acceleration compared to the diesel competition.

PS. Lithium batteries are slated for the next-gen Prius in 2016. I question this publication's credibility.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-23-14 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-23-14, 08:46 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Your own expectations, driving style, and what you find important will be a much better determinant than any review, but the publication's issues are something to keep in mind. I am looking forward to getting behind the wheel, and I think I have an accurate idea of the handling and performance from the reviews. I'm going to spend a lot of time with the infotainment and remote touch interface. Some reviews have said it's really terrible.

I did not know this, but the Prius V is only offered w/ Lithium ion in Australia. Here in North America there is no option for it yet, and I just assumed that's how it was everywhere.

Last edited by sg021; 12-23-14 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-24-14, 04:41 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't worry about that Wheels review. I think it's unfairly harsh, especially as there's a proper review of the NX in the actual review section of that edition of the magazine that views it in a far better light. In addition, if you read their SUV reviews, the reviewers are basically all diesel-philes. It's like any SUV that has a diesel immediately gains credit points.

I think there are pros and cons to Li-ion batteries. Yes they have more capacity/power, however their long term durability is still to be seen in the auto field. They're most costly and they tend to heat up more. Once they're confident they can provide Li-ion with the same reliability as the current batteries, they'll probably switch en mass.
Old 12-24-14, 01:07 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Totally agree with you corrado.

One of the cars I purchased based on their recommendation was a 3series BMW. Their review was true, nothing I drove before or since matched the enjoyment factor and the car was remarkably refined. However once the warranty ran out it literally fell apart. I gave up on BMW after one particular incident. Turning up to the dealer following $3500 worth of repairs for faulty suspension and electrical fault with the a/c, the service guy gave me the bill and as he drove the car up he noticed the park lightbulb was out. He replaced it and as I was about to drive off came running up to me with an additional bill of $3.50.

Lexus, Toyota and Honda have been exceptionally reliable and I keep them for 10-12 years. In my experience the dealers have covered the odd repair outside of their warranty because 'the part should not have broken down'. One of the free repairs was a $2500 a/c unit when the car was 6 years old and the service people were genuinely embarrassed and apologetic.

So I will be placing a down payment on my NX and treat Wheels as a bit of a romantic fantasy novel.

Quick Reply: NX Automotive Reviews Thread