NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus NX Handling Dynamics

Old 05-16-14, 05:49 PM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus NX Handling Dynamics

"Something tells me, he's not bluffing. Part of the feeling comes from my belief that the NX will be a very important car for Lexus. It's the crib for their new 2-liter turbo, but it's also likely to be a volume seller (not unlike the IS). People want crossovers and they want to save gas; it's simple. Or, at least it would be if Lexus did anything the easy way. They don't, which is why we love them."

[Full post on the ClubLexus Blog here!]

Old 07-02-14, 07:08 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too much words, and not enough real driving in real situations. I doubt it will handle as well as MDX-SH-AWD.
Old 07-02-14, 07:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I would imagine that NX will get a Dynamic Torque Control AWD system similar to Rav4, which is a great system. I think the NX 200t F Sport with AWD could actually turn out to be a hoot to drive
Old 07-02-14, 09:04 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

The thing is, if it doesn't handle as well as MDX SH-AWD. People would rather buy MDX.

1/ Better handling
2/ Better AWD system
3/ Higher HP 290
4/ Larger with 7 seats
5/ Sporty look
6/ Only 10k more
7/ Better family car
8/ Better in all weathers....whatelse ? Unless Lexus or Toyota fan will see it differently

Also, Rav-4 is nothing compare to RDX SH-AWD, let alone MDX =/ Too bad, don't know why they discontinued that RDX line

Last edited by Whitigir; 07-02-14 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-02-14, 09:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
The thing is, if it doesn't handle as well as MDX SH-AWD. People would rather buy MDX.

1/ Better handling
2/ Better AWD system
3/ Higher HP 290
4/ Larger with 7 seats
5/ Sporty look
6/ Only 10k more
7/ Better family car
8/ Better in all weathers....whatelse ? Unless Lexus or Toyota fan will see it differently

Also, Rav-4 is nothing compare to RDX SH-AWD, let alone MDX =/ Too bad, don't know why they discontinued that RDX line
MDX is much bigger car, it wont handle anywhere as good as NX, it is simple physics.

And "only $10k" more is laughable statement.
Old 07-02-14, 09:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir

1/ Better handling
2/ Better AWD system
3/ Higher HP 290
4/ Larger with 7 seats
5/ Sporty look
6/ Only 10k more
7/ Better family car

No SH-AWD on the RDX....
MDX and NX = Different segments.
Old 07-02-14, 09:54 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

I know there is no more SH-AWD RDX. Last gen there was, if I am not mistaken. They can be in the same league. Also, find used = save even more.

I am saying, if NX can not out perform an old existed platform from Acura. Lexus has simply failed. I am a Lexus fan here as well, and honestly I hope the NX is better.

SH-AWD and Symmetrical AWD are the best AWD on the market. I doubt Lexus can do it with the new NX. AWD from Rav-4 is nothing, it is just simply another AWD.

I doubt the newly engineered suspension on the chasis alone can help much

Last edited by Whitigir; 07-02-14 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-02-14, 11:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The NX's job isn't to compete with the previous gen RDX - It's to compete with the current gen which it will.

It's been discussed here that the current gen RDX, while a good value and selling very well, doesn't offer many of the features and amenities that you can get on NX, X3, Q5, GLK etc.

I'm sure when Acura decided to eliminate the SH-AWD from the RDX they realized that not only will it reduce cost, but it's also not a deal breaker for the average buyer in this family hauler segment.
Old 07-02-14, 01:03 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Comparing a 2-row compact CUV to a 3-row (large) midsize CUV is sort of crazy, even if you are thinking new vs. used.

What do you consider "simply another AWD"? Toyota's DTC system is essentially a torque vectoring system that modulates power on an axle through braking, vs. Acura's system which (to my knowledge) sends power between wheels on an axle. Both have the same affect, but to date, Acura's system has been used in higher performance applications so we've seen more positive reviews. I assume that Lexus' next gen AWD system for sedans and coupes will also be this newer generation, comparable to SH-AWD.
Old 07-02-14, 01:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Comparing a 2-row compact CUV to a 3-row (large) midsize CUV is sort of crazy, even if you are thinking new vs. used.

What do you consider "simply another AWD"? Toyota's DTC system is essentially a torque vectoring system that modulates power on an axle through braking, vs. Acura's system which (to my knowledge) sends power between wheels on an axle. Both have the same affect, but to date, Acura's system has been used in higher performance applications so we've seen more positive reviews. I assume that Lexus' next gen AWD system for sedans and coupes will also be this newer generation, comparable to SH-AWD.
Rav4 system is pretty good actually - even previous one was darn good and new one is significantly more improved... I think people should try vehicles they are discussing.
Old 07-02-14, 02:01 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^Agreed. Toyota's system is great and the reviews (and my personal experiences) back that up.
Old 07-02-14, 02:23 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How can you compare an NX to a MDX? The MDX is huge by comparison and much more expensive. It is larger than an RX and costs more fully equipped! The NX is like IS of crossovers.
Old 07-02-14, 03:23 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
How can you compare an NX to a MDX? The MDX is huge by comparison and much more expensive. It is larger than an RX and costs more fully equipped! The NX is like IS of crossovers.
it can be argued that the IS has a better AWD system though.....
Old 07-02-14, 04:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by eoph
it can be argued that the IS has a better AWD system though.....
IS system is different being 30:70 up to 50:50. Whereas NX is FWD to begin with
Old 07-02-14, 05:22 PM
Dreamlab
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In one of my previous posts I said, I hated to give up the handling of my current daily driver (BMW) 330i for a NX, if if it has the driving feel of a Venza! If the have bench-marked it against the IS, that will be awesome...!

Beam me up ...Scotty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus NX Handling Dynamics