Lexus NX Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-14, 07:36 AM
darrelld
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus NX Mark Levinson

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...ic-in-your-car

These days, even small, inexpensive cars such as the Fiat 500 and Kia Soul can be bought with high-end stereo systems from prestigious brands such as Beats by Dr. Dre and Infinity.

But why can't today's music match the sound of that old-time rock 'n' roll?

It's not the speakers. It's the format.

No matter how advanced the stereo system, it can't do much to improve the low-fidelity sound pouring out of MP3s and streaming Internet radio services such as Pandora and Spotify, says Jeff Poggi, vice president of global sales and marketing at Harman International Industries, which sells speakers under brands such as Harman Kardon.

"All the new media is at a lower fidelity level than the CD was," Poggi says. "That's really the fundamental challenge that the industry is up against right now."

It's fundamental because the sound of music is money. Automakers long have used premium audio offerings, such as branded stereo systems, to sweeten trim packages. Porsche, for instance, charges $2,120 for a Bose stereo in its iconic 911. Buyers of Mercedes-Benz's flagship S-class sedan can now pay $6,400 for a top-of-the-line Burmester sound system. And much of that amplifies the bottom line.

"Out of all of the options you can add into a car, premium audio has the largest profit margin for an automaker," says Mark Boyadjis, a senior analyst at IHS Automotive. "There's not always a lot of cost involved in creating a premium audio system."

But customers who prefer the convenience of low-fidelity formats gain little from such systems. So Harman is trying to meet customers where they are.

Harman's solution is a software algorithm, originally dubbed Signal Doctor and now branded as Clari-Fi, that analyzes music files and restores what was cut when the file was compressed. The system will make its debut in the 2015 Lexus NX compact crossover, Harman announced in April.
Old 05-11-14, 07:51 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't wait to see how much this will cost.
Old 05-12-14, 08:02 AM
Dreamlab
Rookie

I posted this in the big NX forum, but it seems to fit better here:

What is your guess that the price will be for it?

Since the ML in the RX is approx. $1k, I am thinking it will be $1200 -$1500.

If it is more than that, most consumers will stick with the stock 10-speaker stereo.

Last edited by Dreamlab; 11-03-14 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-12-14, 04:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamlab

If it is more than that, most consumers will stick with the stock 10-speaker stereo.
3IS ML costs $1200.... so should be about there.

Although, premium systems in 3IS and 4GS are also said to be excellent.
Old 05-12-14, 04:28 PM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by Dreamlab

That would be a fair estimate, I made the mistake of listening to some forum posters when I ordered my IS350 and did not get ML because the forum experts said there was little difference or not worth the cost. Later, I had to opportunity to listen to an ML equipped IS playing a DVD-A and the sonic difference was astounding. I said never again would I take the opinion of forum experts when it comes to evaluating a cars sound system worth.
Old 05-12-14, 08:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by darrelld
That would be a fair estimate, I made the mistake of listening to some forum posters when I ordered my IS350 and did not get ML because the forum experts said there was little difference or not worth the cost. Later, I had to opportunity to listen to an ML equipped IS playing a DVD-A and the sonic difference was astounding. I said never again would I take the opinion of forum experts when it comes to evaluating a cars sound system worth.
Makes sense. Audio quality and acceptance of what's good or not is highly subjective to the listener and is also dependent on music type/source. As such, if one appreciates a good sound system in their car, it's best they hear the available systems and compare for themselves. However, more objective characteristics like interior space, acceleration figures, fuel economy, etc shared in this forum hopefully will be useful to readers.
Old 09-16-14, 07:30 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My understanding is that Mark Levinson has been developed for the NX but Lexus North America has chosen to NOT put it into North American vehicles. This is evident from what has been said about the Japanese right hand drive vehicle on display in Calgary having the ML sound system. One of the really nice things about owning a Lexus has been the ML sound system--which I have been sure to have included in my last 3 RX's as well as my SC430 and IS350C....I simply will not entertain the purchase of a Lexus without it...just because of a damned price point....So when Lexus finally understands this reality, I may look at an NX but until that time....not interested in the ugly little beast.

dentate
Oshawa, ON and
Port Charlotte, FL
Old 09-17-14, 08:33 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dentate
My understanding is that Mark Levinson has been developed for the NX but Lexus North America has chosen to NOT put it into North American vehicles. This is evident from what has been said about the Japanese right hand drive vehicle on display in Calgary having the ML sound system. One of the really nice things about owning a Lexus has been the ML sound system--which I have been sure to have included in my last 3 RX's as well as my SC430 and IS350C....I simply will not entertain the purchase of a Lexus without it...just because of a damned price point....So when Lexus finally understands this reality, I may look at an NX but until that time....not interested in the ugly little beast.

dentate
Oshawa, ON and
Port Charlotte, FL
On the first page (2nd post) of the specs and pricing thread a list of missing features for Canada is listed.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8614704

Regarding the ML systems, on paper the one in the NX really seems like a step up from what's in the RX. Well over double the total system wattage.
Old 09-17-14, 12:42 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sg021
Regarding the ML systems, on paper the one in the NX really seems like a step up from what's in the RX. Well over double the total system wattage.
Only teenaged boys going through puberty are impressed by gobs of power in an audio system. More wattage does NOT equate to ANYTHING when it comes to sonic quality.

More wattage makes it EASIER to send signals but the QUALITY of those components recieving the signal and what they can do with it is what counts. Please don't fall into that trap that more wattage is better. The reality is that a QUALITY speaker and a solid cabin design is FAR more important to audio quality than is shear power
Old 09-17-14, 02:05 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bunka
Only teenaged boys going through puberty are impressed by gobs of power in an audio system. More wattage does NOT equate to ANYTHING when it comes to sonic quality.

More wattage makes it EASIER to send signals but the QUALITY of those components recieving the signal and what they can do with it is what counts. Please don't fall into that trap that more wattage is better. The reality is that a QUALITY speaker and a solid cabin design is FAR more important to audio quality than is shear power
We don't really know much of anything about the new system aside from the power, the fact that it's new, and that it's going under the ML name which maybe allows some inference of carryover in design principles. From that limited amount of information I'm merely speculating.
Old 09-17-14, 08:01 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

We don't really know much of anything about the new system aside from the power, the fact that it's new, and that it's going under the ML name which maybe allows some inference of carryover in design principles. From that limited amount of information I'm merely speculating.
The ML label is of value as prior Lexus-equipped iterations have demonstrated excellent sonic quality so I would place more weight on that than I would the actual power output but as you say, we will have to wait and see. I personally enjoy Bowers & Wilkins and have it throughout my home but heard it in a vehicle and thought Meh. I typically can't stand Bang and Olufsen in a home environment but was literally BLOWN away by a system I heard in (some car) a few years back so you never know until you hear it in person.
Old 09-17-14, 08:08 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Harmon now owns Mark Levinson.
Old 09-18-14, 07:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

On the first page (2nd post) of the specs and pricing thread a list of missing features for Canada is listed.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8614704

seems like same system as in rest of their new cars, so thats great... We have it in Europe, but it is way too expensive for this vehicle though.
Old 09-18-14, 07:31 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Interesting edgy commercial (HaHa) but they may have just KILLED my wife's interest in the car. I've been trying to get her to like the newer styling but she HATES this guy's style of music so this will likely go over like a grenade with the pin pulled tossed into a room full of ISIS
Old 09-18-14, 07:11 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Will the NX be the only Lexus model in the USA without a Mark Levinson option?

Quick Reply: Lexus NX Mark Levinson