NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)
View Poll Results: Would you trade your vehicle for the NX and which one?
Yes, for the 300h
17.59%
Yes, for the 200t
12.04%
Yes, for an F-Sport variant
23.15%
Maybe
19.44%
No
27.78%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Trade your vehicle for the NX?

Old 05-27-14, 11:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by darrelld
.38 into this video you can see the trim strips covering spot welds. Even the VW Jetta doesnt have this.
so? whats the big deal with strips? You also likely cant jump on NX doors like you can with Jetta, it is not built up to German quality standards.
Old 05-27-14, 11:43 AM
darrelld
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
so? whats the big deal with strips? You also likely cant jump on NX doors like you can with Jetta, it is not built up to German quality standards.
Strips are used to cover larger panel gaps where the body parts are attached to each other. Larger panel gaps translate into less structural rigidity, poorer handling, and will hold up less well during a crash like the IIHS small offset.

Body panels flex much more necessitating trim strips to move with the body panel flex (structural rigidity). Its a much cheaper way to manufacture. Something I would expect on a 20k Rav4 not a 40k Lexus.

Jumping on a door is unrelated to body panel adhesion and relates to how the hinges are attached to the side body panels.

Last edited by darrelld; 05-27-14 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-27-14, 12:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Strips are used to cover larger panel gaps where the body parts are attached to each other. Larger panel gaps translate into less structural rigidity, poorer handling, and will hold up less well during a crash like the IIHS small offset.

Body panels flex much more necessitating trim strips to move with the body panel flex (structural rigidity). Its a much cheaper way to manufacture. Something I would expect on a 20k Rav4 not a 40k Lexus.

Jumping on a door is unrelated to body panel adhesion and relates to how the hinges are attached to the side body panels.
Well, there you go, every Lexus ever has poor handling thanks to not using laser brazing to connect two parts of the roof... I wonder how 2013 GS gets to beat its german competitors in handling which such poor panel flex.

You can have same argument about jumping on a door - great structural strength and durability due to high price manufacturing, car will hold up much better during a crash like the IIHS small overlap.

Of course, small offset crash test has absolutely nothing to do with laser brazing on the roof, but rather crash structures added to the sides of the engine compartment that deflect the blow to the outside.... as can be seen by many cars that passed the test and dont have laser welded roof - or maybe by all those german cars that have laser welded roof and didnt pass the test. Or basically every car that passes the roof strength test, which is what applies here and also has nothing to do with laser welding.
Old 05-27-14, 01:43 PM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
Well, there you go, every Lexus ever has poor handling thanks to not using laser brazing to connect two parts of the roof... I wonder how 2013 GS gets to beat its german competitors in handling which such poor panel flex.

You can have same argument about jumping on a door - great structural strength and durability due to high price manufacturing, car will hold up much better during a crash like the IIHS small overlap.

Of course, small offset crash test has absolutely nothing to do with laser brazing on the roof, but rather crash structures added to the sides of the engine compartment that deflect the blow to the outside.... as can be seen by many cars that passed the test and dont have laser welded roof - or maybe by all those german cars that have laser welded roof and didnt pass the test. Or basically every car that passes the roof strength test, which is what applies here and also has nothing to do with laser welding.
Well if you read the Lexus web site for the GS they say this;

http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/explore/

Lexus engineers traveled the equivalent of 26 times around the Earth to create the ideal driving feel. Sporting a wide track and rigid body courtesy of optimally placed spot- and laser-weld points, the result is a vehicle that will change the way you see Lexus.
Notice they mention laser welding in the same paragraph as "Change the way you see Lexus."

Last edited by darrelld; 05-27-14 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-27-14, 01:57 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I guess the question is, if someone is in the market for the NX are the spot/laser weld and strip questions a deal breaker or not? My guess it isn't important to the majority of potential buyers. They may look at crash test results and read some reviews on handling and performance and that would be as far as it goes. This would apply to most other cars and not just the NX.
Old 05-27-14, 02:07 PM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I guess the question is, if someone is in the market for the NX are the spot/laser weld and strip questions a deal breaker or not? My guess it isn't important to the majority of potential buyers. They may look at crash test results and read some reviews on handling and performance and that would be as far as it goes. This would apply to most other cars and not just the NX.
Absolutely. As a systems engineer I go over more details than most would probably care about. Forums are generally to seek this type of information from other knowledgeable contributors which is why I ask.

I have been away from Lexus since my 2006 IS 350 so I am interested in where technologies have improved.
Old 05-27-14, 04:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Absolutely. As a systems engineer I go over more details than most would probably care about. Forums are generally to seek this type of information from other knowledgeable contributors which is why I ask.

I have been away from Lexus since my 2006 IS 350 so I am interested in where technologies have improved.
Looking at Consumer Reports, virtually all of the Lexus models received good to very good reports in the area of Body Integrity. This information is from their Owner Surveys which would indicate most were satisfied in this area.
Old 05-27-14, 11:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Well if you read the Lexus web site for the GS they say this;

Notice they mention laser welding in the same paragraph as "Change the way you see Lexus."
yes, and if you look at NX videos, they mention reinforcing the chassis at 70+ spots and spending a lot of time to make it more rigid, in fact thats what they talked the most about in the development video.

However, both GS and NX still have weather strips :-)
Old 05-28-14, 07:01 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

.38 into this video you can see the trim strips covering spot welds. Even the VW Jetta doesnt have this.

Lexus NX Static Launch Video - YouTube

http://media.vw.com/img/3844/0/0/827...aab28e9dcd.jpg
Those strips are only with panoramic roof. Is it possible to open the panoramic roof? In that case, those strips might be the rails for the mechanism.
Old 05-28-14, 09:41 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No I do not want to trade my Lexus for a Mazda CX-5.
Old 05-29-14, 03:54 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The NX looks great, and if I wanted to compact SUV or sportier SUV I would definitely consider the NX. I still prefer a midsize SUV. I would consider trading in my RX for the new Lexus coupe if it has AWD. Finally, a 3 series coupe competitor.
Old 06-24-14, 08:16 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I love my GS F-Sport, but I really want something smaller. I've been waivering between the RC and NX. I want something that takes up less room in the garage but holds lots of luggage since I travel frequently. The NX may just fit the bill. I will have to see the cargo capacity of the RC with the seats folded to decide, and drive both.

It's usually just me driving (no kids), but I am still at that "practical" stage in life.
Old 06-24-14, 09:43 PM
Dreamlab
Rookie

Originally Posted by dseag2
I love my GS F-Sport, but I really want something smaller. I've been waivering between the RC and NX. I want something that takes up less room in the garage but holds lots of luggage since I travel frequently. The NX may just fit the bill. I will have to see the cargo capacity of the RC with the seats folded to decide, and drive both.

It's usually just me driving (no kids), but I am still at that "practical" stage in life.
We have a 2014 RX and I have seen and sat in a NX front seat and back and opened the rear hatch, the NX is smaller but not by a whole lot, I mean it is not as small as a BMW X1
Old 06-29-14, 07:33 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamlab
We have a 2014 RX and I have seen and sat in a NX front seat and back and opened the rear hatch, the NX is smaller but not by a whole lot, I mean it is not as small as a BMW X1
Thanks for that info. We had a '99 RX300, and as one of my friends said "it was like driving a baked potato". We traded it for an FX35, which was a lot sharper drive. I'm sure Lexus has improved the driving dynamics of the newest RX, but if this NX drives as well as their latest cars (GS, IS) it will definitely be on the consideration list. Looks like it has more than enough cargo capacity.
Old 06-30-14, 07:11 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Thanks for that info. We had a '99 RX300, and as one of my friends said "it was like driving a baked potato". We traded it for an FX35, which was a lot sharper drive. I'm sure Lexus has improved the driving dynamics of the newest RX, but if this NX drives as well as their latest cars (GS, IS) it will definitely be on the consideration list. Looks like it has more than enough cargo capacity.
It's still pretty potato-y, which is why we were going to move on to a different brand until the NX was announced. I'm expecting the NX to be a lot more fun to drive.

Either way, my Passat is going out to pasture next spring for some kind of CUV. With the caveats of not taking a test drive or seeing the price yet, I think I'm going to end up with an NX.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trade your vehicle for the NX?