NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Official Lexus NX thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-14, 01:38 PM
joebxr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Usually a 1-2 months before release. Last year for the 3IS, training was in mid April and began selling late June.
OK, so things can still change until you go...which is likely SEP/OCT timeframe. Don't get me wrong....I luv it just the way it's being shown and hope nothing changes.....but it's possible. I question if the headlight module can get DOT approval. Side panels may need some structure for crash testing.....but I'm still hoping nothing changes. It will be my first Lexus and am really looking forward to it. Even audio seems to be undefined...read that ML will be setup, but then in another thread I read JBL contracted to deliver unique audio.
Old 05-14-14, 01:55 PM
Kendig
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
Everything in the car is a lot more integrated now, too. An aftermarket nav doesn't give you all the bells and whistles as far as shortcut buttons and steering wheel controls.
Yes, but a good aftermarket nav does not have some auto manufacturers lawyering-up so that not even a front seat passenger can set or alter a destination while the car's moving. We move our Garmin back and forth between our Cadillac and our Lexus (both of which have less-usable nav systems), and don't pay extra to load updated maps to it every 3 months.
Old 05-14-14, 03:01 PM
Dreamlab
Rookie

For anyone in So. Cal. that wants to see a NX and is within driving distance of Lexus of Westminster (Beach Blvd @ the 22 freeway), I received the following from my salesman there:

The NX will be at our dealership around 11:30 to 2pm on (Sunday) May 18th so please come and check it out.

See you there...!

Last edited by Dreamlab; 05-14-14 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-14-14, 04:45 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamlab
For anyone in So. Cal. that wants to see a NX and is within driving distance of Lexus of Westminster (Beach Blvd @ the 22 freeway), I received the following from my salesman there:

The NX will be at our dealership around 11:30 to 2pm on (Sunday) May 18th so please come and check it out.

See you there...!
Awesome, thanks for the info.
I'm going to check it out.
Old 05-14-14, 05:25 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ Take lots of pics guys and post in the real-world pic thread!
Old 05-15-14, 05:33 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by joebxr
OK, so things can still change until you go...which is likely SEP/OCT timeframe. Don't get me wrong....I luv it just the way it's being shown and hope nothing changes.....but it's possible. I question if the headlight module can get DOT approval. Side panels may need some structure for crash testing.....but I'm still hoping nothing changes. It will be my first Lexus and am really looking forward to it. Even audio seems to be undefined...read that ML will be setup, but then in another thread I read JBL contracted to deliver unique audio.
The only thing I can note about late changes is just one anecdote. My co-worker was on the Tesla Model S pre-order list, and the poster he has hanging in his cube differs very slightly from the actual car. It's very subtle though, it took maybe 6 months until someone noticed.

I am sure the headlights are fine, they wouldn't be this close to production with ones that aren't going to be approved.

The ML audio is an upgrade from the base systems. I believe it's not so much that it's undefined as that there are multiple possibilities depending on the options and packages you select.

Last edited by sg021; 05-15-14 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-15-14, 03:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
The only thing I can note about late changes is just one anecdote. My co-worker was on the Tesla Model S pre-order list, and the poster he has hanging in his cube differs very slightly from the actual car. It's very subtle though, it took maybe 6 months until someone noticed.

I am sure the headlights are fine, they wouldn't be this close to production with ones that aren't going to be approved.

The ML audio is an upgrade from the base systems. I believe it's not so much that it's undefined as that there are multiple possibilities depending on the options and packages you select.
headlights and rocker panels wont change... but those prototypes have some unfinished plastics and slightly differ from one another... it is not something regular person would notice.
Old 05-15-14, 06:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by spwolf
headlights and rocker panels wont change... but those prototypes have some unfinished plastics and slightly differ from one another... it is not something regular person would notice.
Agreed. And something subtle too that some of us noticed early on that's missing in the pre-production NX's is the courtesy door lights. I suspect those will be on the production vehicle.
Old 05-16-14, 09:47 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 05-16-14, 03:06 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for the video.

Sounds very promising. Very interesting that they also used the latest IS as a benchmark for handling during suspension development.

Wonder how the NX will compare to the X3 in terms of handling. Will BMW again be dethroned by Lexus ?

( GS trashed the 5 series, IS out-slalomed the 3 series)

Last edited by natnut; 05-16-14 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-16-14, 03:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Thanks for the video.

Sounds very promising. Very interesting that they also used the latest IS as a benchmark for handling during suspension development.

Wonder how the NX will compare to the X3 in terms of handling. Will BMW again be dethroned by Lexus ?

it looks good on the track... so far so good. great video.
Old 05-16-14, 03:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^Good video and best-in-class handling/comfort balance looks promising. Can't wait for some official reviews.
Old 05-16-14, 04:53 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus Engineer Explains Why He Thinks the NX Is the World's Best Handling SUV [Update

If half of what Lexus’ project manager for the NX says in this video holds true, then the Japanese luxury car manufacturer has a winner in its hands. Kei-ichi Nishiyama says that when they started work on the NX, he instructed engineers to forget about the constraints of mass production and build the world’s best SUV.

The main focus was on dynamic performance, with Nishiyama asking its team to build an SUV “in which you can feel the grip of the tyres through your fingertips.”

That’s why engineers paid a lot of attention to structural rigidity, which is known to have an important effect on handling. Small reinforcements were applied progressively until the result was satisfactory.

Obviously, ride comfort wasn’t neglected either, as you can find out from the following video. But I would wait for the first reviews of the NX to form a less biased opinion about Lexus’ entry-level crossover.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/lex...he-thinks.html
Old 05-16-14, 04:59 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Thanks for the video.

I am interested as well, they're certainly talking a big game. I thought it was kind of funny that the shortcomings of "competitor" vehicles are probably most glaring in the RX much more so than the Germans.

The X3 feels very sure footed, so if the NX can compete with that I'll be very happy. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in and answer one question I had. The NX wheelbase is about 6 inches shorter than the X3 despite only being about an inch shorter overall. I'm sure there are more factors in play, but isn't this going to negatively affect the handling?
Old 05-16-14, 05:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Lexus Engineer Explains Why He Thinks the NX Is the World's Best Handling SUV
that's cool, but I think a Macan is some stiff competition

Quick Reply: Official Lexus NX thread