NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Official Lexus NX thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-14, 06:43 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I feel the interior is it's biggest weakness.
The plastic center dash design is awful and I owned a '10 RX.
Definitely agree with you there. Just hate that swoopy design
Old 05-02-14, 06:55 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats because of camera mic... if you look at other similar videos from youtube, it is quite quiet.

and in general, NX is not an upgrade to RX, it is lower end model that costs less. I am not sure why many people in this thread expect NX to be better than RX.
I agree the NX is not an upgrade over the RX, but being a brand new design and 4 to 5 years newer, I certainly expect it to improve on the NVH front. When the new RX comes out, it should leapfrog the NX no problem. The NVH standards for the NX should not be below a 4 to 5 yr vehicle, even though the RX is one class up.
Old 05-02-14, 06:59 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I understand what you're saying. That was never my stance, in fact I agree with your points. Perhaps when (at least the people here) who say they plan to upgrade they mean in the sense that it's a newer car, tech and vs the 3RX sure maybe better materials. That said it won't be true come 4RX, up the food chain it goes and the pecking order will distinguish itself more in the Lexus SUV line.

The excitement of the NX which isn't even out yet has me dreaming of what the RX will bring to the segment.
+1. The new RX will leapfrog the NX just like the NX should leapfrog the current RX. If Lexus doesn't, it's competitors will.
Old 05-02-14, 07:01 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I feel the interior is it's biggest weakness.
The plastic center dash design is awful and I owned a '10 RX.
The center dash is quite hollow sounding, like the 08 ES350 I leased. At least nothing fell apart.
Old 05-02-14, 09:56 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ +1.

For me, going from an RX to an NX is an "upgrade" in the sense that it is an upgrade in styling , tech, fuel economy, and size which will better satisfy my needs. And materials appears to be on par or better in some areas than the current RX.

Will it be noisier than the current RX? I honestly doubt it. To put some perspective, the new Highlander is about as quiet as the current RX and since the 4 RX is due in a year, I would not be surprised if the NX is similar to the Highlander and current RX at cruising speeds. Remember, the 4 RX will jump up in NVH refinement...
+1. In the same boat but would wait a year or two. This is an upgrade for someone who owns the current RX and yet find it occasionally too large for their needs . There is some compromise in some materials inside the cabin but it is acceptable.

After watching the video posted by KyleSaab04 (in another post in Club Lexus) , I should say Lexus indeed has packaged the NX very well and it retains some characteristics/merits of the current RX --- rear reclining seats, switchable trunk lights (this is in response to the downgrade from 2IS to 3IS), trunk space, ample rear legroom, etc.

In terms of noise, the video shows that NX sounds sportier. So I expect the next RX should be quieter to differentiate the profiling of the owners.

Originally Posted by situman
+1. The new RX will leapfrog the NX just like the NX should leapfrog the current RX. If Lexus doesn't, it's competitors will.
No doubt the new RX should be much better than the current RX. This is Lexus best selling model and they can't risk the sales. For people who own the current RX and find the size just right for their needs, it would be prudent to wait till the next RX (due in 2016?) come up before making any decision.

Last edited by AndyL; 05-02-14 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-02-14, 10:45 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Yeah, but remember the RX came out in 2008 so aside from the added spindle, it hasn't really taken on many of the new interior design cues and improvements.
?? 2RX was 2004-2009. 3RX is 2010-current. And the RX is stuck with what it has (ie 2013 refresh) until the '16 4RX is ready to surpass it in every objective category. So the NX will for a brief period of time probably be nicer (overall). 4RX should become bigger and more luxurious
Old 05-02-14, 11:27 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
?? 2RX was 2004-2009. 3RX is 2010-current. And the RX is stuck with what it has (ie 2013 refresh) until the '16 4RX is ready to surpass it in every objective category. So the NX will for a brief period of time probably be nicer (overall). 4RX should become bigger and more luxurious
That's right, brain fart My mom had an 08 RX400h too
Old 05-02-14, 12:45 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
After watching the video posted by KyleSaab04 (in another post in Club Lexus) , I should say Lexus indeed has packaged the NX very well and it retains some characteristics/merits of the current RX --- rear reclining seats, switchable trunk lights (this is in response to the downgrade from 2IS to 3IS), trunk space, ample rear legroom, etc.
Definitely the best, most in depth look at the car yet for those of us not having seen it in person.

I was wondering where the phone charger was, and I think that setup looks pretty cool. Not that it matters for me, but I think Qi is not directly compatible with Apple products, although you can buy a special charging case....but that defeats the "ease of use" to some extent.

I still think the nose of the hybrid (with no appearance package) looks really weird and pointy from the side.
Old 05-02-14, 12:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
That's right, brain fart My mom had an 08 RX400h too
It's Friday, no worries!
Old 05-02-14, 01:19 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by sg021
Definitely the best, most in depth look at the car yet for those of us not having seen it in person.

I was wondering where the phone charger was, and I think that setup looks pretty cool. Not that it matters for me, but I think Qi is not directly compatible with Apple products, although you can buy a special charging case....but that defeats the "ease of use" to some extent.

I still think the nose of the hybrid (with no appearance package) looks really weird and pointy from the side.
Having seen it at the NY Auto Show, it really does. I had to do a double take when I saw it because it didn't look like what I was used to seeing on CL. With the snout, the front just looks a bit unfinished
Old 05-02-14, 01:54 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
+1. This is an upgrade for someone who owns the current RX and yet find it occasionally too large for their needs . .
We find the RX just too large for my wife to drive. Her 2013 RAV4 is perfect for her. We love the RAV4 and it's many great features...but it's not a Lexus. We think the NX will be perfect for her use.
As soon as the NX comes out we'll be buying one to replace the RAV4.
Old 05-02-14, 01:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

From former CL member/Lexus owner Saabkyle04:

Old 05-02-14, 02:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

In fact you can write letters and numbers on the RTC pad. Cool!
Old 05-02-14, 05:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I agree the NX is not an upgrade over the RX, but being a brand new design and 4 to 5 years newer, I certainly expect it to improve on the NVH front. When the new RX comes out, it should leapfrog the NX no problem. The NVH standards for the NX should not be below a 4 to 5 yr vehicle, even though the RX is one class up.
not sure if age has anything to do with NVH - recent Edmunds test between JX, MDX and RX said that RX was by far the quietest car there. So, I am not so sure that engineering team went out to out-do RX in NVH in the first place.

What NX has to deliver is more style and sportier handling... it has loads of more style than RX, and it should have better handling no matter what.
Old 05-02-14, 05:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021

it is same as in RX, it gets a bit weird looking from certain angles in pics, but in real life it looks fine. You probably didnt even notice it on RX.

It is done to have better approach angles, so your front end wont rub. Afterall, it is an SUV... you might not want to tackle Rubicon with it, but it helps with some light off roading or even tricky garage/driveway.

Quick Reply: Official Lexus NX thread