NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Official Lexus NX thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-14, 07:09 PM
Psychoart
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
I'll wait for the official numbers, but if that 9.9 holds true I am crossing the hybrid off my list.
Same feeling here.
Old 04-30-14, 08:56 PM
QuentinB
Driver

Holy ****, guys, settle down. Those are 0-62 numbers quoted from a spanish outlet which means they are not comparable to numbers from an american mag/media outlet which means that you can't really infer a damn thing yet. Some use a rollout, some do 0-60, some do 0-62, etc. I expect it will be in the ESh acceleration range because it is the same drivetrain in a similar weight chassis and that is probably the acceleration expectation of the customer. It will be a hair faster than the L4 Rav4... again, matching the expectation of someone buying a ~35mpg luxury CUV based on a Rav4. I have a lot of seat time in the 2.5L non-hybrid (own one), 2.5HSD (multiple test drives), 1.8HSD (own one), 3.5L non-hybrid, and the 1.8L non-hybrid. The 2.5HSD feels a lot like the 2.5L non-hybrid but with a bit more power (not up to the 3.5L, but noticeable difference) and a lot smoother. It is a fantastic power train for effortless driving. And it will smoke a Corolla. in the Camry hybrid, it put up numbers comparable to the 2.0T Hyundai Sonata. I would LOVE if my Prius v has the 2.5HSD. Great mileage, great responsiveness, and very smooth. Hell, I wish my '14 Rav4 has the 2.5HSD because it is just a much more refined power train.

Anyway, it is simple physics. You don't get efficient cars by making them fast. The 2.0T will be the quick one.... just like the ES350 is quicker than the ES300h. If you want efficient, you get the hybrid. If you want fast, get the 2.0T. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Last edited by QuentinB; 04-30-14 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-30-14, 09:58 PM
Psychoart
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by QuentinB
Holy ****, guys, settle down. Those are 0-62 numbers quoted from a spanish outlet which means they are not comparable to numbers from an american mag/media outlet which means that you can't really infer a damn thing yet. Some use a rollout, some do 0-60, some do 0-62, etc. I expect it will be in the ESh acceleration range because it is the same drivetrain in a similar weight chassis and that is probably the acceleration expectation of the customer. It will be a hair faster than the L4 Rav4... again, matching the expectation of someone buying a ~35mpg luxury CUV based on a Rav4. I have a lot of seat time in the 2.5L non-hybrid (own one), 2.5HSD (multiple test drives), 1.8HSD (own one), 3.5L non-hybrid, and the 1.8L non-hybrid. The 2.5HSD feels a lot like the 2.5L non-hybrid but with a bit more power (not up to the 3.5L, but noticeable difference) and a lot smoother. It is a fantastic power train for effortless driving. And it will smoke a Corolla. in the Camry hybrid, it put up numbers comparable to the 2.0T Hyundai Sonata. I would LOVE if my Prius v has the 2.5HSD. Great mileage, great responsiveness, and very smooth. Hell, I wish my '14 Rav4 has the 2.5HSD because it is just a much more refined power train.

Anyway, it is simple physics. You don't get efficient cars by making them fast. The 2.0T will be the quick one.... just like the ES350 is quicker than the ES300h. If you want efficient, you get the hybrid. If you want fast, get the 2.0T. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
I'm well aware of the difference between the turbo and the Hybrid. However, your explanation feels like a talk to a NKOTB. That's quite laughable or offensive in some other way.

What I was saying is that for a Luxury car of this class, the presuming 9.9s from 0-62 mph is not acceptable IMO. For a car that would be about 3 times as expensive as a Corolla (which certainly is "no free lunch"), mileage is important, but there are other variables that should be tweaked in the Hybrid version to match its worthiness.

Last edited by Psychoart; 04-30-14 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-30-14, 10:55 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
^ I think the F-Sport looks much nicer
If someone likes hybrid but prefers the F-Sport look, can't he just get the NX300h in F-Sport trim?

Best of both worlds IMO....
Old 04-30-14, 11:28 PM
basel
Driver School Candidate

This video is the first showing the NX on road

Old 05-01-14, 02:58 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by basel
Thanks for the video. It really is a nice looking car, and you get a much better feel for the size and shape watching it drive the parking lot.

Not to continue with the sky is falling bit, but if he's full out accelerating at the 6:00 mark that doesn't allay my fears for the hybrid acceleration.
Old 05-01-14, 04:12 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The engine sounded great on that video. Are those piped in electronically generated sounds or real sounds?
Old 05-01-14, 04:13 AM
QuentinB
Driver

Originally Posted by Psychoart
I'm well aware of the difference between the turbo and the Hybrid. However, your explanation feels like a talk to a NKOTB. That's quite laughable or offensive in some other way.

What I was saying is that for a Luxury car of this class, the presuming 9.9s from 0-62 mph is not acceptable IMO. For a car that would be about 3 times as expensive as a Corolla (which certainly is "no free lunch"), mileage is important, but there are other variables that should be tweaked in the Hybrid version to match its worthiness.
134hp to push around 2800lbs versus 200hp to push around 3800lbs. That is a 10% hp to weight ratio advantage to the NX. I'm saying that the NX will not be 9.9 sec to 60. It will be in the 8 to mid 8 range when motor trend gets hold of it for your apples to apples comparison. Basically, stay calm, wait and see.

Compared to the other 2.5HSD vehicles, Lexus will likely adjust the diff ratio to help acceleration meet the customers' expectation versus the final drive of the ES300h/CamHy/AvHy.
Old 05-01-14, 04:24 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by basel

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

I was wondering about the turn signal stalks, if they were like the IS's. We get answers in this video. From a functional standpoint, they're not. Basically the stalks click in, stay put in that position, then spring back after the steering is turned (from 6:36 to about 6:55). It functions like the rest of the Lexus vehicles, except the IS where the stalk doesn't lock in with the steering - it just springs back right after you activate the signal.
Old 05-01-14, 04:51 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

I was wondering about the turn signal stalks, if they were like the IS's. We get answers in this video. From a functional standpoint, they're not. Basically the stalks click in, stay put in that position, then spring back after the steering is turned (from 6:36 to about 6:55). It functions like the rest of the Lexus vehicles, except the IS where the stalk doesn't lock in with the steering - it just springs back right after you activate the signal.
The GS does that too, it took some getting used to when I had it as a loaner. Personally I didn't like it. I prefer the extra feedback of the stalk changing positions. Once my blinker just flashed once and I didn't realize it. It's kind of like the electronic shifter on the X3....it's a cool talking point with friends, but in my opinion is less functional.

Last edited by sg021; 05-01-14 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-01-14, 04:54 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
The engine sounded great on that video. Are those piped in electronically generated sounds or real sounds?
My interpretation of the Q & A videos is that it is piped in. Plus, what was happening on the road didn't seem to match the growl of the engine. It definitely sounds good.

Q: What new technologies are incorporated into NX?
Kato: In order to realise our Premium Urban Sports Gear concept we had to adopt many new technologies. Of course, one important focus was the development of a brand new turbo engine. As a corporation we already had the 3S-GTE turbo technology that won past WRC events. I believed that combining this turbo technology with modern environmental technology would create an advantage for Lexus. We worked hard to get the engine sound just right. For the F Sport model we wanted a more emotional engine sound, so we electronically developed a note that sounds great acoustically. I think you’ll be surprised at how smooth the turbo engine accelerates.
Granted that is explicitly calling out the F-Sport, but it's probably happening on all models.
Old 05-01-14, 05:12 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

9.9 sec to 62 is CT200 numbers.
That's horrible.

We do have interest in getting an NX but no doubt it will be the turbo now.
Old 05-01-14, 07:36 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Is it me or is there a lot of road noise during the test drive?
Old 05-01-14, 08:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Is it me or is there a lot of road noise during the test drive?
i would say it is pretty low compared to usual noise
Old 05-01-14, 08:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by QuentinB
134hp to push around 2800lbs versus 200hp to push around 3800lbs. That is a 10% hp to weight ratio advantage to the NX. I'm saying that the NX will not be 9.9 sec to 60. It will be in the 8 to mid 8 range when motor trend gets hold of it for your apples to apples comparison. Basically, stay calm, wait and see.

Compared to the other 2.5HSD vehicles, Lexus will likely adjust the diff ratio to help acceleration meet the customers' expectation versus the final drive of the ES300h/CamHy/AvHy.
i am not sure why are people surprised, RX350 is significantly slower than ES350, and so will NX be slower than ES... it is an SUV, lot more frontal area.

This is why Lexus thinks they will sell a lot more Turbo's in USA.

However, 0-62 is worst part of hybrid performance... it should do really well in passing acceleration, way faster than Rav4 2.5l for instance.

Quick Reply: Official Lexus NX thread