NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

4x4 vs 4x2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-17, 06:42 AM
Toymom
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 4x4 vs 4x2?

I've been pricing out NX's...besides the color choice (see my What color? thread), I'm also debating 4x4 vs 4x2....here's why. I really like the F-Sport version but in the 4x4 equipped the way I want, it's just more than I want to spend. So I just priced out an F-Sport version in the 4x2 equipped similarly to the 4x4 regular model....and it comes out about the same.

So my question is would it be a mistake to get the 4x2 vs the 4x4? All my "SUV's" have always been 4x4. Your thoughts.....

I'm editing this to clarify that RESALE is not a factor here. I work for Toyota, this is a company lease, and the end of 4 years I will just give it back.

Last edited by Toymom; 03-26-17 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-26-17, 07:25 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I'm guessing that, if you live in Maryland, even if winters aren't as rough as in many other areas, you still get times with slick roads, snow-packed roads, etc. If that is the case, the extra cost of the AWD version would be money well spent.

Also note that, demand for two wheel drive SUVs is significantly lower than is demand for their AWD counterparts. That means that depreciation on a two wheel drive SUV will be much steeper than that for the AWD. Thus, much of what you might save up front by buying a front wheel drive NX will be lost when it comes time to sell it or trade it in.
Old 03-26-17, 07:44 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I'm guessing that, if you live in Maryland, even if winters aren't as rough as in many other areas, you still get times with slick roads, snow-packed roads, etc. If that is the case, the extra cost of the AWD version would be money well spent.

Also note that, demand for two wheel drive SUVs is significantly lower than is demand for their AWD counterparts. That means that depreciation on a two wheel drive SUV will be much steeper than that for the AWD. Thus, much of what you might save up front by buying a front wheel drive NX will be lost when it comes time to sell it or trade it in.
I agree with this completely. It really depends on the winter weather you get in your region. In my region, the resale on a FWD wouldn't be nearly as strong as an AWD.
Old 03-26-17, 07:44 AM
Toymom
Rookie

Yeah, our winters have been relatively mild last couple years, and if it gets real bad I'm probably not going anywhere anyway. LOL! But we do get some snow....so that's my concern.

As far as resale....I work for Toyota financial, not at a dealer. An associate lease is a benefit of ours, so this will be turned in at the end of lease, don't have to worry about resale. I have a RAV4 now, and was just wanting something different this time but within my budget.

Last edited by Toymom; 03-26-17 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-26-17, 08:11 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

I'll add to my previous post by saying that I've been looking to buy an NX, but I want one with the Luxury Package and the Lexus Safety System, and NXs with those features/options, both new and used, are very difficult to find. So, just for comparison, I stopped at a Toyota dealer and test drove both the gas engine RAV4 and the RAV4 hybrid. I was very impressed by the RAV 4. Further, while the RAV4 may not have quite the level of luxury and refinement as the NX, the MSRP of a fully loaded RAV4, including AWD and Toyota's version of the safety system with PCS and LDA is still several thousand lower than the MSRP of a bare-bones NX.

If the money spent was a significant factor, I'd easily choose the loaded RAV4 over a FWD NX that also lacked features like the PCS and LDA. For me, the functional capabilities of the vehicle would be much more important than things like the available color choices.
Old 03-26-17, 08:16 AM
hadiguy05
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I personally like the handling of an AWD vehicle better than FWD. My reasoning is because I've driven Subaru most of my life. I like the idea of accelerating through corners for grip and that is gar superior with an AWD. You can achieve similar results with FWD but you need mods to do so. Unfortunately the nx isn't very stiff and does have body roll even with the f sport model.
Old 03-26-17, 08:34 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Resale value is really determined by the state you live in. I agree up north if you don't buy a 4x4 you will have less of a resale value. If you are in the south like myself your resale value will not be hurt unless of course you move back up north and try to sell the car there. The dealers in the south only sell front wheel drives. Yes, you can have them locate one but you will pay a premium. Furthermore, it does not make sense to buy a 4x4 in Florida besides paying a premium for a car where it doesn't snow.

In truth, the 4x4 is about a $2k option and if that takes you out of your price range I would look at the RAV 4 as previous recommended in this post. In any case for where you live I would only buy a 4x4.

Steve Deech
Old 03-26-17, 08:34 AM
Toymom
Rookie

Thanks lesz I appreciate your comments. I have a '13 RAV4 Limited AWD now, I like it....I just want something different this time. So other than the 4x4 on the NX FSport model, I have it configured the way and with the features I want....pretty much the same as the RAV I have now. I will be configuring the car the way I want and it gets ordered/manufactured directly from Toyota, not from a dealership.

What is PCS and LDA?

Here is how I'm configuring the F-Sport model:- FK- 18" F SPORT Wheels w/Summer Tires (235/55R18) :- EC- Electrochromic (Auto-Dimming) Inside Rear View Mirror with Compass and Lexus Homelink Garage Door Opener- OQ- Electrochromic (Auto-Dimming) Outer Mirrors with Blind Spot Monitor (BSM), Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Reverse Tilt, Heated, Memory- WE- Heated Perforated Leather Trimmed Steering Wheel with Paddle Shifters- PT- Premium F SPORT Package (Which includes sunroof and heated/ventilated seats I think, plus maybe some other things.)

I did not get the Navigation system because I've had it in every vehicle I've leased and rarely use it.
Old 03-26-17, 08:47 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Toymom

What is PCS and LDA?
PCS is the Pre-Collison System, which includes automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, etc. The LDA, is the Lane Departure Alert system. It gives a warning when you start to drift out of your lane and, also, gently nudges you back toward your lane. With current RAV4s, both the PCS and LDA are standard on even the base RAV4. While Lexus has made those features standard on some models, such as the ES, for some reason, not only are they not standard on the NX, but, as options, they seem to be on only a very small number of NXs. After having had the PCS and LDA on my 2017 ES, I'll never buy a vehicle without those features. I figure that, even though I hope to never need those features to prevent an accident, all they have to do is to work once to prevent an accident, and they are well worth the $900 or so that they add to the cost of the vehicle.
Old 03-26-17, 08:52 AM
Toymom
Rookie

Thanks lesz... well since I've never had those features before, I don't think I would miss them. I think sometimes when you have/get used to certain features they become more important. I have the blind spot monitor in my RAV now and love that, so wanted to make sure I configured it into the NX.
Old 03-26-17, 09:12 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Toymom

I'm editing this to clarify that RESALE is not a factor here. I work for Toyota, this is a company lease, and the end of 4 years I will just give it back.
Even if it does not seem to be the case on the surface, re-sale value is still a factor. With a lease, an estimate of what your vehicle will be worth at the end of the lease is a major factor in determining the monthly payments of a lease. If a car will be worth more at the end of the lease, the monthly payments will be lower. If, on the other hand, a car will be worth less at the end of the lease, the monthly payments will be higher.

Even though I know that you would be getting a company lease, I'm confident in guessing that similar calculations are figured into a company lease as they would be in a normal retail lease. So, even if it is not an important factor to you, you should still know that, if a car is worth less at the end of the lease, it will factor into what the lease costs you.
Old 03-26-17, 09:28 AM
Toymom
Rookie

Originally Posted by lesz
Even if it does not seem to be the case on the surface, re-sale value is still a factor. With a lease, an estimate of what your vehicle will be worth at the end of the lease is a major factor in determining the monthly payments of a lease. If a car will be worth more at the end of the lease, the monthly payments will be lower. If, on the other hand, a car will be worth less at the end of the lease, the monthly payments will be higher.

Even though I know that you would be getting a company lease, I'm confident in guessing that similar calculations are figured into a company lease as they would be in a normal retail lease. So, even if it is not an important factor to you, you should still know that, if a car is worth less at the end of the lease, it will factor into what the lease costs you.
Okay, but on the website where I configure the leases, the monthly payments are calculated out for me for 1-4 year leases. That's what I've been playing around with. All I know is the F-Sport 4x2 and the turbo base 4x4 configured the same way are similar in the monthly payment, which at this point is all that really matters. I just don't want to be sorry I got a 4x2 instead of a 4x4, but then again if I go with the 4x4 it will have to be the turbo base model....and I really like the look of the F-Sport much better.... Hey I'm a girl, I like things pretty!
Old 03-26-17, 05:31 PM
hadiguy05
Rookie

I much prefer the look of the f sport as well. If you haven't sat in one, I'd suggest you do. The seats are bolstered (mimic more of a racing seat) and that isn't comfortable for some people. I personally like the way those seats feel. F sport seats also are not cooled like the other ones can be as well.
Old 03-26-17, 05:55 PM
Toymom
Rookie

Originally Posted by hadiguy05
I much prefer the look of the f sport as well. If you haven't sat in one, I'd suggest you do. The seats are bolstered (mimic more of a racing seat) and that isn't comfortable for some people. I personally like the way those seats feel. F sport seats also are not cooled like the other ones can be as well.
hadiguy05....yes I have heard that about the F sport seats. I'm a rarther petite gal, so I'm not sure it would bother me that much. I do plan to sit and test them out before I place the order though.
Old 03-27-17, 07:45 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

How much extra for the FSport AWD vs. Fwd?

I love the FSport seat and the front end. I'm sure you know that you can't just exchange for a different car if you don't like within 30 days.

Quick Reply: 4x4 vs 4x2?