NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

4x4 vs 4x2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-17, 09:26 AM
Toymom
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
How much extra for the FSport AWD vs. Fwd?

I love the FSport seat and the front end. I'm sure you know that you can't just exchange for a different car if you don't like within 30 days.
I work for Toyota Financial, so this is a company lease. Once I order and take delivery I can't exchange it, so I need to know what I want to order when I place the order.

As far as price, I'm already pushing it a little with the NX instead of getting another RAV4, so I'm trying to keep the monthly payment down. Plus I have two company leases...my husband has a Tacoma. Both of these payments come directly out of my pay. I can order any Toyota/Lexus I want but I'm not a car gal that's why I was looking at the NX.
Old 03-27-17, 01:10 PM
Toymom
Rookie

So I was playing around with numbers again today. I think I'm going to just go for the gusto here and get the NX F sport in the 4x4. Yeah, I'm pushing it a little money wise but it wasn't that much different per pay. When I order/configure a car it gives me a monthly rate, I multiply that by 12 then divide by 26. I think the difference per pay between the 4x4 and the 4x2 was like $7. The difference between the NX and the RAV4 (my other option) is around 15 a pay....so really not that much. I'm probably going to have it for 4 years so I might as well get what I want....right??

Still not sure on color????
Old 03-27-17, 01:54 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

one thing (if it matters to you), the RAV4 I believe has more safety features than the NX. I'm pretty sure it has the panoramic bird's eye view.
Old 03-27-17, 02:00 PM
Toymom
Rookie

Originally Posted by typocl
one thing (if it matters to you), the RAV4 I believe has more safety features than the NX. I'm pretty sure it has the panoramic bird's eye view.
Yes it does, but I was not going to get that on the RAV4 anyway. It's not something I feel like I need. I love the blind spot monitor and the alert when backing up though and they have those on the NX.
Old 03-27-17, 03:04 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Stop being a pansy and buy the AWD F-Sport. You only live once.
Old 03-27-17, 03:20 PM
Toymom
Rookie

Originally Posted by Toymom
So I was playing around with numbers again today. I think I'm going to just go for the gusto here and get the NX F sport in the 4x4. Yeah, I'm pushing it a little money wise but it wasn't that much different per pay. When I order/configure a car it gives me a monthly rate, I multiply that by 12 then divide by 26. I think the difference per pay between the 4x4 and the 4x2 was like $7. The difference between the NX and the RAV4 (my other option) is around 15 a pay....so really not that much. I'm probably going to have it for 4 years so I might as well get what I want....right??

Still not sure on color????
Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
Stop being a pansy and buy the AWD F-Sport. You only live once.
See my quote above....yes, I've decided to stop being a "pansy".... thank you!
Old 03-27-17, 03:46 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

How much snow do you see? Can you survive without it? On a recent trip to Lake Placid, the power of AWD was on display. My friend's BMW was able to get up an icy snow ramp, while another car FWD had to call a tow truck cause it got stuck and couldn't get out of the ditch after it slid backwards. Also on a recent trip to Vermont, my AWD NX Fsport was handling snow roads fine. I was surprised an MDX with SH-AWD was scared to drive on the road. Anyways my friend with a FWD went down the hill that winds and he did a 180. Whereas, I got up and down the same road fine.
Old 03-27-17, 04:10 PM
Toymom
Rookie

Originally Posted by aztr0
How much snow do you see? Can you survive without it? On a recent trip to Lake Placid, the power of AWD was on display. My friend's BMW was able to get up an icy snow ramp, while another car FWD had to call a tow truck cause it got stuck and couldn't get out of the ditch after it slid backwards. Also on a recent trip to Vermont, my AWD NX Fsport was handling snow roads fine. I was surprised an MDX with SH-AWD was scared to drive on the road. Anyways my friend with a FWD went down the hill that winds and he did a 180. Whereas, I got up and down the same road fine.
Well I iive in Maryland, so we usually have maybe 1-2 snow storms a year, this year just 1 in my area. So anyway, yeah, I think I could survive without the 4x4. But I think I'm just going to go for it, when I priced it out there really wasn't that big of a difference between the 4x4 and the 4x2.
Old 03-27-17, 07:09 PM
IgoZoom99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks lesz I appreciate your comments. I have a '13 RAV4 Limited AWD now, I like it....I just want something different this time. So other than the 4x4 on the NX FSport model, I have it configured the way and with the features I want....pretty much the same as the RAV I have now. I will be configuring the car the way I want and it gets ordered/manufactured directly from Toyota, not from a dealership.

What is PCS and LDA?

Here is how I'm configuring the F-Sport model:- FK- 18" F SPORT Wheels w/Summer Tires (235/55R18) :- EC- Electrochromic (Auto-Dimming) Inside Rear View Mirror with Compass and Lexus Homelink Garage Door Opener- OQ- Electrochromic (Auto-Dimming) Outer Mirrors with Blind Spot Monitor (BSM), Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Reverse Tilt, Heated, Memory- WE- Heated Perforated Leather Trimmed Steering Wheel with Paddle Shifters- PT- Premium F SPORT Package (Which includes sunroof and heated/ventilated seats I think, plus maybe some other things.)

I did not get the Navigation system because I've had it in every vehicle I've leased and rarely use it.
If I had bought my F-Sport new, I seriously doubt that I would have paid for the Navigation Package. It's annoying that they only offer the 10-speaker Lexus Premium Audio as part of the Nav Pkg. I've always picked the trim level with the high-end audio or, if it was optional, I would get it. But I'm not sure I'd pay $1800 for it in this case.

Two things I didn't see in your configuration that you might want to consider- the Intuitive Park Assist ($500 retail, uses front and rear sensors to detect objects, audibly alerts you as you get closer to an object and shows a display in the multimedia display to assist) and Power Rear Door ($400 retail). I had never experienced a Power Rear Door until my 2012 Mazda CX-9 and I fell in love with it! I also fell in love with the Blind Spot Monitor on that vehicle, so I'm happy to have it on my NX.

My 2016 NX 200t F-Sport has every option except the Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. If I had ordered mine, I would have (most likely) skipped the Navigation Package and the Triple-Beam LED Headlamps and added the PCS. I would have also selected the Red interior, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

I think you'll be happy with the F-Sport. The difference in appearance is amazing, especially for the relatively small increase in price.

I was going to make another comment on your "color" thread, but I'm going to be lazy and just do it here...

You said earlier that you haven't seen the Silver Lining Metallic color, only Atomic Silver. Silver Lining is a lighter color (reminds me a lot of a Honda color from the early 90s called Seattle Silver). Some might describe it as 'champagne'. I haven't seen the F-Sport in this color (although it is available), but it looked nice even on the base NX.

Choosing the F-Sport also gives you the choice of Ultra-White (a nice, clean white that isn't pearl for a change). There's also the Ultrasonic Blue (they'll see you coming from a mile away)! Even the Atomic Silver and Nebula Gray Pearl look awesome with the F-Sport Package.

Oh, and don't forget Molten Pearl....also known as, "I didn't know orange could be any uglier!"
Old 03-27-17, 08:40 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Well I iive in Maryland, so we usually have maybe 1-2 snow storms a year, this year just 1 in my area. So anyway, yeah, I think I could survive without the 4x4. But I think I'm just going to go for it, when I priced it out there really wasn't that big of a difference between the 4x4 and the 4x2.
I like the way you think... $7 per paycheck is peanut. You'll be much happier and live longer. Well done.

about colors...I love my ultra white with red seats...looks awesome. Second color is nebula gray pearl with red seats but I already have the gx460 in that color.

good luck.
Old 03-28-17, 02:20 AM
Toymom
Rookie

IgoZoom99... I really don't think I need all the other features you mentioned. I said (somewhere) on here earlier that I'm trying to keep the price down so eliminating things I really don't need/want. I got the things that are important to me, sunroof, heated seats, blind spot monitor....no navigation, had that on every other car and never really used it. I feel like I won't miss the things I don't/have never had.

One thing I am curious about is the Power Rear Door....what exactly is that?

I do want to thank ALL you guys for your input into my questions, you all have really helped me with decisions.....or now I'm just more confused than ever! LOL!
Old 03-28-17, 03:31 AM
IgoZoom99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IgoZoom99... I really don't think I need all the other features you mentioned. I said (somewhere) on here earlier that I'm trying to keep the price down so eliminating things I really don't need/want. I got the things that are important to me, sunroof, heated seats, blind spot monitor....no navigation, had that on every other car and never really used it. I feel like I won't miss the things I don't/have never had.

One thing I am curious about is the Power Rear Door....what exactly is that?

I do want to thank ALL you guys for your input into my questions, you all have really helped me with decisions.....or now I'm just more confused than ever! LOL!
I understand that you aren't wanting to add anything you don't need/want. I was agreeing with you on the Navigation not being worth the cost (especially since we all have it on our phones now).

I just wanted to mention the Intuitive Park Assist and Power Rear Door features in case you weren't aware of them.

The Power Back Door allows you to open/close the back door (or tailgate, as I call it) via an electric motor. To open it from outside the car, you can press a button on the keyless remote fob. To open it from inside the car, there's a button on the dash to left of the steering wheel. To close it, there's a button on the bottom side of the tailgate/back door that you press and it lowers it. The ability to open it while you're walking toward it is probably the most convenient, but it's just a handy feature all around. It's nice that Lexus only charges $400 for it and that it doesn't require any other specific options or packages.
Old 03-28-17, 04:04 AM
hadiguy05
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IgoZoom99
I understand that you aren't wanting to add anything you don't need/want. I was agreeing with you on the Navigation not being worth the cost (especially since we all have it on our phones now).

I just wanted to mention the Intuitive Park Assist and Power Rear Door features in case you weren't aware of them.

The Power Back Door allows you to open/close the back door (or tailgate, as I call it) via an electric motor. To open it from outside the car, you can press a button on the keyless remote fob. To open it from inside the car, there's a button on the dash to left of the steering wheel. To close it, there's a button on the bottom side of the tailgate/back door that you press and it lowers it. The ability to open it while you're walking toward it is probably the most convenient, but it's just a handy feature all around. It's nice that Lexus only charges $400 for it and that it doesn't require any other specific options or packages.
I second the intuitive park assist and power lift gate. I agree that the price point is right for the power lift gate, but it's a luxury vehicle and should be a standard option IMO. It could be argued that someone who is looking for weight reduction wouldn't want the power gate option....blah blah blah sorry I'll get off my rant box
Old 03-28-17, 04:07 AM
Toymom
Rookie

Originally Posted by IgoZoom99

Hhhmmm....I guess I have the power door on my RAV4 then. I hit a button on the key fob and it will open/close, plus there is a button on the dash that opens it. I guess I assumed that is a standard feature. So without that, I would have to manually open/close the lift gate?? I'm only 4'11" so that could be a problem!
Old 03-28-17, 04:19 AM
Toymom
Rookie

Originally Posted by hadiguy05
I second the intuitive park assist and power lift gate. I agree that the price point is right for the power lift gate, but it's a luxury vehicle and should be a standard option IMO. It could be argued that someone who is looking for weight reduction wouldn't want the power gate option....blah blah blah sorry I'll get off my rant box
Oh no...so it is a manual lift gate!! I agree any Lexus should have a power lift as standard. Well, I might have to add that because like I said below, I'm short only 4'11" and that could be a problem......UGH!! back to the drawing board!!

Quick Reply: 4x4 vs 4x2?