NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

What Mode Do You Guys Usually Drive In?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 01:07 AM
LINSTEFAN
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What Mode Do You Guys Usually Drive In?

I've been doing some research on which mode gives better gas mileage and apparently majority are saying that they get better mpg while in sport mode. Not sure if this is true or not. What I've notice is that city driving in eco gave me poor gas mileage because it takes forever to get up to speed without being tailgated and such. From what I research many people have said that driving in sport mode gives better gas mileage than normal or eco because you're able to get up to the desire speed much quicker and coasting the rest before having to re-apply the gas again. I can see why people are saying that they are getting better mpg in sport vs normal because when you're in sport mode you don't have to keep applying gas to maintain a certain speed. In addition, what is the range for your NX on a full tank? Mines say's it's roughly around 337miles ,but I have a feeling it's never quite accurate. Does anyone else rely on the range to see when they need to fill up? Has anyone drove in sport with a full gas of tank and got better gas mileage than normal and eco? Let me know if you guys drive in normal,sport, or eco in city/highway driving, but mostly in the cities.

Last edited by LINSTEFAN; 03-03-17 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-03-17, 02:17 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Eco.

I drive in normal/sport on long highway drives where mpg doesn't really matter.
Old 03-03-17, 04:32 AM
LNXT200
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually drive in normal/eco, shift to sport when want to overpass quick. After refuel the computer give me a range of 320-330 miles until E I don't know if it is true or not I don't wait until it is on E to refuel.
I think that driving of F will get you to the speed you need quicker but at the same time you are using more gas/hp/turbo/revs or whatever it is to get there so I don't think the mpg will improve.
My daily driving is from home to work and vice use the streets little to none traffic, and I'm getting around 22-23 mpg.

Last edited by LNXT200; 03-03-17 at 04:35 AM.
Old 03-03-17, 04:59 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LNXT200
I usually drive in normal/eco, shift to sport when want to overpass quick. After refuel the computer give me a range of 320-330 miles until E I don't know if it is true or not I don't wait until it is on E to refuel.
I think that driving of F will get you to the speed you need quicker but at the same time you are using more gas/hp/turbo/revs or whatever it is to get there so I don't think the mpg will improve.
My daily driving is from home to work and vice use the streets little to none traffic, and I'm getting around 22-23 mpg.
I drive in Eco all the time. I don't know if sport would give you better mileage. To me, it doesn't sound like it would. I will have to try it.
Old 03-03-17, 06:57 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Mainly normal mode. Eco if there's a lot of stop and go. Sport when I feel like it. There's no reason for me to sport mode in the city, my city's limit is 25mph. If people want to tailgate me when I'm at speed limit then I'll go slower.
Old 03-03-17, 07:00 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Sport 99% of the time, the other 1% is when I forgot to switch it to Sport.

Can I set it in Sport ALL THE TIME?

My tank range is "rising"..from 307 to 311..to 325 miles..it is still cold in the morning here in Nebraska so the car is warming up 3-5 minutes every morning. This morning the low fuel light was on at about 295 miles and I still have about 22 miles left.
Old 03-03-17, 08:52 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

I mostly drive in sport...it's not like the engine makes any more power in sport over the other modes, it just holds gears longer and the throttle is more sensitive. I find the vehicle is more responsive and easier to drive in this mode and haven't noticed any fuel economy differences between the modes.
Old 03-03-17, 11:01 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Sport mode is addicting!

**** WARNING ****
Sport mode is addicting!

My first year, I drove in Normal most of the time. Over the past couple of months, I kept switching over to Sport. Now, I find it very annoying to drive in Normal mode. I've gotten into the habit of as soon as I fire-up the engine, I subconsciously turn the **** to Sport. If I don't, I know right away that something is "wrong"—there is a lack of pep and my foot goes almost to the floor while the NX sluggishly accelerates.

My only wish is that Lexus could make Sport mode survive an engine shutdown.
Old 03-03-17, 01:16 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
My only wish is that Lexus could make Sport mode survive an engine shutdown.
That is what I really want.

The NX keeps the settings for Normal or Eco, but NOT Sport. WTH, Lexus?
Old 03-03-17, 07:43 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Better mileage in Eco mode. We are getting about 33 MPG on average with mostly city driving. We had one really bad tank this winter when we had over a foot of snow on the ground and sub-zero temps that was only 29 MPG.

On the hybrid, there is a huge difference between Eco and sport mode. In sport mode, the electric motors engage must earlier and with more torque. It wouldn't make much differerence at highway speeds, but for short sprints or speeds below 35MPH the Sport mode is much quicker, but I believe it also keeps the gas engine running if the vehicle is in motion so it absolutely uses more fuel.

I know the question was NOT referencing the hybrid but I couldn't resist.
Old 03-03-17, 08:47 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive 99% in Sport S and 1% in Sport S+ for overtaking.

I have the 300h so it's super obvious when I haven't selected Sport mode.
Old 03-03-17, 09:42 PM
akaido
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sport all the time, Normal mode for the first few thousand miles and now unbearable to drive in normal - way too sluggish. I did not find any much diff in mpg between the 2 - 22.8. I only have around 6000 miles so far though.
Old 03-04-17, 06:41 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Eco, 100% of the time.
Old 03-04-17, 08:45 AM
batchelor
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sport+ when the roads are dry, Normal in the winter when the roads are icy. As many have stated, the responsiveness of Sport and Sport+ mode is addictive!
Old 03-04-17, 10:07 AM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

wife in normal except when on highway then sport(rocky mountains/high altitude usually)
me always sport

Quick Reply: What Mode Do You Guys Usually Drive In?