NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

F-Sport vs non f-Sport (sound question)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-17, 03:52 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Sport vs non f-Sport (sound question)

Hi Guys, I had the chance to drive a non f-sport NX 200t for a couple days as a loaner vehicle an overall liked the vehicle. My question is if the f-sport version has a more aggressive engine/turbo note? My work vehicle is a Ford Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost and one thing I like about driving that car is the turbo is pretty clearly audible vs on the NX I drove which was virtually silent no matter how hard I listened for it.
Old 02-02-17, 04:40 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Nope, no turbo noises on the f-sport. It does have ASC though in the states, so you get a little faked noise lol
Old 02-02-17, 06:08 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

cant comment on sound, but hitting 60mph to 95mph happens really quick for what it is.
Old 02-02-17, 06:33 PM
NXblue
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea, I've had both the non-F sport model & now the F sport model. Not much difference in turbo sounds. Haven't tried the ASC sound
thingy that no1someguy talked about, but I think it's more along the lines of Lexus's principle to make cars / SUV's more quality / quite.
I can only compare my 2012 Acura RDX w/ turbo & it was a lot more turbo noisy than either NX. Just the way the companies do their
thing!
Old 02-02-17, 07:14 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

There's no difference in engine performance. There is the ASC in the F-Sport which creates digital engine noise. There's no turbo sounds.
Old 02-02-17, 10:42 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

The F-Sport has 2 unique gauges as well, a G-meter and a turbo boost. If you use ASC, make sure to turn off the surround sound option in the menu, otherwise it will sound even faker than fake..
Old 02-03-17, 08:52 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NXblue
Yea, I've had both the non-F sport model & now the F sport model. Not much difference in turbo sounds. Haven't tried the ASC sound
thingy that no1someguy talked about, but I think it's more along the lines of Lexus's principle to make cars / SUV's more quality / quite.
I can only compare my 2012 Acura RDX w/ turbo & it was a lot more turbo noisy than either NX. Just the way the companies do their
thing!
It was certainly a quality built vehicle. I took it on a section of dirt road with uneven pavement where on my Escape, if I open the hatch it won't close again, at least not automatically due to flex in the unibody. The NX had no such trouble. I just wish I could hear the turbo working. I know it's not for everyone but I like the sound.

Thanks for the replies
Old 02-03-17, 11:05 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by d8168055
The F-Sport has 2 unique gauges as well, a G-meter and a turbo boost. If you use ASC, make sure to turn off the surround sound option in the menu, otherwise it will sound even faker than fake..
The ASC has a separate speaker from the rest of the entertainment system.
Old 02-03-17, 11:47 AM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Oh, maybe its just my ultra sensitive ears then.. I turn off the surround feature for the audio because it makes audio too digitized and tinny sounding.
Old 02-03-17, 12:00 PM
toonchew
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate that Lexus added the ASC feature. It's a joke and quite embarrassing every time I have to explain to others what it is. I have a love/hate relationship with it. Sometimes it's on, sometimes it isn't. If you want engine noise, get the charge pipe and intake.
Old 02-03-17, 01:02 PM
batchelor
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Even though our F Sports can be almost full loaded in Canada, that is not a feature we can get. I am curious as to what it sounds like, though I don't think I would want to use it. I assume it can be disabled permanently.
Old 02-03-17, 07:33 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

On a related note. I took our CT in for service and they gave me an NX f sport two wheel drive for a loaner.

the car had about 15k miles on it. Compared to my NX AWD I noticed the 2WD loaner had considerably more drivetrain whine. Almost annoying.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 02-04-17, 05:53 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by batchelor
Even though our F Sports can be almost full loaded in Canada, that is not a feature we can get. I am curious as to what it sounds like, though I don't think I would want to use it. I assume it can be disabled permanently.
There is a wheel on the lower right part of the dash, so you adjust from off to full (with a light indicator). I really don't notice it does much unless you are in Sport mode and hit the gas, I leave it off.
Old 02-06-17, 10:51 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by toonchew
I hate that Lexus added the ASC feature. It's a joke and quite embarrassing every time I have to explain to others what it is. I have a love/hate relationship with it. Sometimes it's on, sometimes it isn't. If you want engine noise, get the charge pipe and intake.
Dumbest thing I have ever seen on a car! Worse than useless. It makes the car sound like it's broken!

I know. Different people like different things, and you have to account for taste, but this is horrible. Even my son that likes loud cars agrees this synthesized noise is bad. It's a complete waste of engineering that is NOT like Lexus AT ALL. Someone actually got PAID for this idea, and it costs Lexus money to put it in my car! They should spend the money on free navigation updates. I'd pay extra to have it removed!

Other than all that, I have no opinion.
Old 02-06-17, 11:03 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Dumbest thing I have ever seen on a car! Worse than useless. It makes the car sound like it's broken!

I know. Different people like different things, and you have to account for taste, but this is horrible. Even my son that likes loud cars agrees this synthesized noise is bad. It's a complete waste of engineering that is NOT like Lexus AT ALL. Someone actually got PAID for this idea, and it costs Lexus money to put it in my car! They should spend the money on free navigation updates. I'd pay extra to have it removed!

Other than all that, I have no opinion.
It's very Lexus...you get a quiet car with full sound deadening, no matter what you do in the engine bay or exhaust it will always be muted. They add back in the sound artificially to give you a bit of sound without the downsides of making an actually noisy vehicle.

All that said, I still don't like faked noises either.

Quick Reply: F-Sport vs non f-Sport (sound question)