NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

17 2.0t usb and digital clock

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-17, 05:18 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 17 2.0t usb and digital clock

bought a new 2017 nx 2.0 fsport. got a nice tech review at home today and surprised by 2 things. no digital clock? this is retarded, make a firmware update with nav software. Imnot going to buy a $5 stick on clock in a 45k car. who do I need to slap?

2nd is I put a couple hundred music folders on a usb, its impossible to navigate this usb stick other tan 1 click at a time....thats 2 slaps....Im old and retired and I demand this simple tech...lexus leading edge? in what?
Old 01-28-17, 06:26 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Torii
bought a new 2017 nx 2.0 fsport. got a nice tech review at home today and surprised by 2 things. no digital clock? this is retarded, make a firmware update with nav software. Imnot going to buy a $5 stick on clock in a 45k car. who do I need to slap?

2nd is I put a couple hundred music folders on a usb, its impossible to navigate this usb stick other tan 1 click at a time....thats 2 slaps....Im old and retired and I demand this simple tech...lexus leading edge? in what?
If a digital clock is so important to you, why didn't you check that out before buying the car?
As for the music, why not use folder and group your music? That way you can browse folders first, then the individual files within the folders.
Old 01-28-17, 06:53 PM
Torii
Intermediate

digital clock is important because all the other models have it. i have grouped my music by folder by band, i have over 100 folders and its a pain to scroll to pink floyd.

its my wifes car so all this really is non important...but still wanted to post.
Old 01-28-17, 09:18 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Love it or hate it, this a new "style" Lexus is creating for their interior design. Our ES has the same thing, and its from a 2013 redesign. The new RX which came out in 2016 has the same thing. I agree with your frustration but have come to accept the clock over the past couple of years. I do think it has a classy look, but wish we could have both.

From my perspective, this is very much a safety issue too. You really have to take a moment and study the position of the hands on an analog clock, whereas you can just glance at a digital clock and have all the information you need.

As as for the USB flash drive, I can't really comment. I generally use (in this order) a local station, Pandora or my iTunes (now that the complimentary Sirius has expired). There are many options for listening to music in modern cars and I'm just not personally familiar with your technique or the issue.
Old 01-28-17, 10:23 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

wait till you try to use the random option for playing the USB media, you're going to get annoyed that things repeat way too often for "random"
Old 01-29-17, 04:49 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Torii. Welcome.

Technically there is a digital clock in the 7" display but it's buried in a couple of menus making it practically unusable.

Lexus got criticized by the media and owners for many with its "outdated" LCD clock across all its models. Lexus responded and designed a clock befitting of a luxury brand. It's here to stay as we also see in the stunning new LC and LS models!

I can understand sticking an LCD clock on the dash can look tacky, but if it means you enjoying your car, consider sticking a small one in this more discreet location so only the driver sees it. Enjoy!

Old 01-29-17, 05:41 AM
Torii
Intermediate

I would think a firmware update could fix both of my complaints. Maybe I will just use an ipod instead of usb.
Old 01-29-17, 08:14 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I LOVE the look of the clock, just like my Movado....I know I can't tell the exact time but then I always carry my cellphone.

I have the issue with the USB music. Normally if you HOLD down the toggle switch it should move to the next folder while quick click will go to the next song. What is wrong with you Lexus?
Old 01-29-17, 03:47 PM
Torii
Intermediate

well I was messing around with my iphone and bluetooth and I found the volume to be very low, so researching that, but also found I can use the radio ***** to scroll thru the folders rather quickly which is nice when using usb. I am hoping the ui gets improved for the audio portion...but its not my everyday car and the wife is happy. its just a work commute car really so I am happy she is happy
Old 01-30-17, 03:09 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Lexus infotainment is an epic fail.
Old 01-30-17, 04:20 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckNX
Lexus infotainment is an epic fail.
+1

and don't expect a firmware update anytime soon. I've given up on that.
Old 01-31-17, 12:29 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Love it or hate it, this a new "style" Lexus is creating for their interior design.
Infiniti/Nissan had switched to analog clocks years ago.

Originally Posted by Ward6096
From my perspective, this is very much a safety issue too. You really have to take a moment and study the position of the hands on an analog clock, whereas you can just glance at a digital clock and have all the information you need.
It's all relative. What's easy/safe for you is not necessarily easy/safe for someone else. My brain doesn't take a lot of time to process the analog image for me to know what time it is. If the majority of owners have to "study the position" of analog gauges, then more cars would have digital speedometers, tachs, fuel gauge, etc.
Old 01-31-17, 12:46 PM
Torii
Intermediate

I was just hoping, here is a 2016 w/digital clock

Old 02-03-17, 06:46 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I wear a Movado so I have no issues telling time with a quick glance. I use my phone for music so can't comment about the USB... can you not voice command the car to find music by artist etc.? Although the voice command is a piece of work itself lol. Useless.
Old 02-03-17, 09:07 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

I'm not sure if the infotainment is changed in the '17, but in the '16 in the USB mode,
you can skip to the next folder under the first set of arrow (for title).

When I had my '14 GS350, holding down (not clicking for the next song) the next song arrow on the steering wheel control allowed you go to the next folder.
The NX didn't allow this

Quick Reply: 17 2.0t usb and digital clock