NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Adaptive cruise control, excessive brake wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-17, 05:15 AM
sublexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive cruise control, excessive brake wear

I use the adaptive cruise control regularly on our 2016 NX 200T. My question is whether the use of it will cause the brake pads and rotors to experience more wear than if I don't use it. It just feels like the cruise control is often braking when I wouldn't be.
Old 01-20-17, 06:57 AM
DrDuct
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cost vs value. It sounds like you enjoy it the adaptive cruise control. The overall cost probably wont be too much more but I'm sure it will be more.
Old 01-20-17, 10:40 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

It should let off the gas pedal long before braking to maintain distance. It only brakes if the vehicle in front slows down faster than it can coast to slow down, you'd be braking anyway.
Old 01-20-17, 11:43 AM
sublexus
Rookie

I'm probably using it in less than ideal situations, such as during rush hours in the Baltimore/Washington area. It performs great and I'm not really concerned about any added cost. I was just curious if anyone had knowledge or experience regarding it. I also wonder if other vehicles that are closer to full autonomy give the same feeling as they try to maintain set speeds/distances when encountering slower vehicles. Rush hour traffic is pretty jammed together and often is still traveling 60 - 70 mph. Interestingly, when another vehicle cuts right in front of me, the NX doesn't immediately brake to create distance as long as the other vehicle doesn't slow down. It does seem to just coast to back off some. Anyway, I think Lexus has done a great job with the implementation of the technology and I do enjoy using it. All that said, my right foot is always at the ready!!
Old 01-20-17, 12:08 PM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm probably using it in less than ideal situations, such as during rush hours in the Baltimore/Washington area.
I used to live up there and drive those roads, and you are braver than me!! I'm glad your right foot is at the ready. I will point out these two cautions from the manual:

Assisting the driver to operate the vehicle
The dynamic radar cruise control has no capability to prevent or avoid a collision with
a vehicle traveling ahead.

Situations unsuitable for dynamic radar cruise control
Do not use dynamic radar cruise control in any of the following situations.
Doing so may result in inappropriate speed control and could cause an accident resulting
in death or serious injury.
● In heavy traffic
Old 01-20-17, 12:55 PM
DrDuct
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sublexus
I'm probably using it in less than ideal situations, such as during rush hours in the Baltimore/Washington area. It performs great and I'm not really concerned about any added cost. I was just curious if anyone had knowledge or experience regarding it. I also wonder if other vehicles that are closer to full autonomy give the same feeling as they try to maintain set speeds/distances when encountering slower vehicles. Rush hour traffic is pretty jammed together and often is still traveling 60 - 70 mph. Interestingly, when another vehicle cuts right in front of me, the NX doesn't immediately brake to create distance as long as the other vehicle doesn't slow down. It does seem to just coast to back off some. Anyway, I think Lexus has done a great job with the implementation of the technology and I do enjoy using it. All that said, my right foot is always at the ready!!
Agree. Nice feature for traffic. My bmw has auto brake which keeps the vehicle stopped once you're at 0 and doesnt let it move again until you hit the gas pedal so you don't have to hold the brake. Also, a nice feature.

The SRT Jeep is MUCH more aggressive than any adaptive cruise control I have seen. In my experience the Lexus isn't that much different from others.
Old 01-20-17, 01:07 PM
sublexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by jim256
I used to live up there and drive those roads, and you are braver than me!! I'm glad your right foot is at the ready. I will point out these two cautions from the manual:

Assisting the driver to operate the vehicle
The dynamic radar cruise control has no capability to prevent or avoid a collision with
a vehicle traveling ahead.

Situations unsuitable for dynamic radar cruise control
Do not use dynamic radar cruise control in any of the following situations.
Doing so may result in inappropriate speed control and could cause an accident resulting
in death or serious injury.
● In heavy traffic
Thanks for the caution reference, Jim!
Old 01-20-17, 08:59 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

I feel like the adaptive CC is an aid in heavy traffic.

But I do find the one in the NX much more aggressive than the EyeSight system in our Forester.
Old 01-21-17, 11:10 AM
sublexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
I feel like the adaptive CC is an aid in heavy traffic.

But I do find the one in the NX much more aggressive than the EyeSight system in our Forester.
By this do you mean harder acceleration and braking?