NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

LED Rear Turn Signal (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-17, 09:39 PM
LINSTEFAN
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question LED Rear Turn Signal (Help)

I'm trying to change out my rear turn signals bulbs to led, but when I install these pairs of LED that I bought from Amazon they start to hyper flash. I only bought them because someone on the forums bought the exact same ones without hyper flashing problem, which is odd... I've also seen others buy the led bulbs that have resistors already build in to them. What I'm not really clear on is, if I buy those resistors, which have these metal tabs that splices the wires. Will I be able to remove them and switch them back to the OEM bulbs in the future? I haven't installed them bulbs yet with the resistors because I'm afraid of splicing the wires and not being able to switch back to the OEM bulbs.

Any suggestions or help would be highly appreciated!

The LED turn signals bulbs I bought
​​​​​​https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PGRGSH6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The Resistors
https://www.amazon.com/4Pcs-Aaron-6o...Y33Z0EQHGJNJZF
Old 01-15-17, 11:05 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you look at the design of the splices, they will cut the insulation just enough to make contact with the wires to provide the necessary resistance to avoid hyper flashing. To remove, you just open the tabs and pull the wires off the splices. To be extra safe, you can cover the area where the splice was with simple electrical tape.
Old 01-15-17, 11:26 PM
LINSTEFAN
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by legrunt
If you look at the design of the splices, they will cut the insulation just enough to make contact with the wires to provide the necessary resistance to avoid hyper flashing. To remove, you just open the tabs and pull the wires off the splices. To be extra safe, you can cover the area where the splice was with simple electrical tape.

Thanks for the response! Just to clarify I'll only need one resistor on each side correct? So if we wanted to remove the resistor in the future we won't need to use a pair of pliers and pull the metal part back out? Instead of using electrical tape, can't we use those head shrinking tube to ensure a tight seal and a much cleaner look? Do you have any idea on where to mount these resistors since the space behind the light assembly is limited, unless I just tuck the resistor under the assembly and leave it hanging...
Old 01-16-17, 07:27 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Or you could skip the resistors and replace your flasher module with one that is compatible with LED bulbs: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=turn+signal+flasher+for+led+lights

Last edited by Kansas; 01-17-17 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-16-17, 03:33 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LINSTEFAN
Thanks for the response! Just to clarify I'll only need one resistor on each side correct?
One resistor per side is all you need.

So if we wanted to remove the resistor in the future we won't need to use a pair of pliers and pull the metal part back out?
You can just pull the wire off the metal piece by hand. If the metal piece comes off and sticks to the wire, then you may need a pair of pliers to help grip the metal piece.

Instead of using electrical tape, can't we use those head shrinking tube to ensure a tight seal and a much cleaner look?
The problem with heat shrink is that you need to get the tube over the wire. In order to do that, you have to remove the wire from the socket. Or cut it. Which negates the whole point in using a splice in the first place, that being you do not want to cut the wire.

Do you have any idea on where to mount these resistors since the space behind the light assembly is limited, unless I just tuck the resistor under the assembly and leave it hanging...
They can fit into a slot in there. I did it with a pretty large resistor. There is definitely space, just experiment a little.
Old 01-17-17, 03:23 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally, I tried to install separate LEDs and resistors, but of the size of the resistor I bought, it would not fit in the rear lamp housing area.

That is why I bought the LED with the resistor (as one unit). The combo unit was long, but it fit into the original housing.
Old 01-20-17, 11:22 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Here's the housing being removed
As you can see, my resistor is huge, yet there is enough space to stuff it down into the cavity below the housing
Side view of the huge resistor nestling underneath everything.