NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Weird Things I've Noticed

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17, 08:10 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Weird Things I've Noticed

So I've had my new Canadian 2016 NX 200t F Sport 3 for a little less than a week. I wonder if anyone else has noticed the following?

1) Under street lights at night, there's a reflection from somewhere around the screen up onto the windshield that flashes as you pass under them. I think it's from some of the silver trim. It's rather distracting.

2) The blower in the climate system makes a high pitch whine at certain speeds (usually second from highest).

3) The paint has a lot of little micro scratches in it (paint swirls) from what looks like they're PDI cleaning...a wipe with detailing spray and a clean new microfiber makes more. Is the paint really fragile on these?

4) Rear visibility is awful, like there's almost no point in having a rear view mirror. I'm debating taking the rear headrests out to get a bit more view behind.

5) The f sport seats are hard to climb over the bolsters, any tricks getting in and out without squishing them? Should I worry about squishing the bolsters? (I'm in my 30's, average height/weight and in good shape, climbing out of my Mazdaspeed 3 it's a lot easier to clear the bolsters on it).

Going to mention the first 3 to the dealer when I take it in for the 1 month inspection but wondering if I'm alone in these weird things.
Old 01-05-17, 09:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Hi. Welcome to the forum and congrats on your NX.

I can't say I noticed any unusual reflections or any high-pitched whine from the blower.

3) As for the paint, it's a tad on the soft side but a good detailing will make it pristine.

4) I've gotten used to the rear visibility while BSM and large sideview mirrors help.

5) I've gotten used to the side bolsters from an ingress standpoint. I manage to just slightly rub into the top portion upon entry though my wife (shorter), who drives it more often than me, squishes them fully on its side. After 2 years, seat looks good still with very minor creases. Nuluxe is very durable so I wouldn't worry too much about it. See recent pic below.

Old 01-05-17, 10:00 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
So I've had my new Canadian 2016 NX 200t F Sport 3 for a little less than a week. I wonder if anyone else has noticed the following?

1) Under street lights at night, there's a reflection from somewhere around the screen up onto the windshield that flashes as you pass under them. I think it's from some of the silver trim. It's rather distracting.

2) The blower in the climate system makes a high pitch whine at certain speeds (usually second from highest).

3) The paint has a lot of little micro scratches in it (paint swirls) from what looks like they're PDI cleaning...a wipe with detailing spray and a clean new microfiber makes more. Is the paint really fragile on these?

4) Rear visibility is awful, like there's almost no point in having a rear view mirror. I'm debating taking the rear headrests out to get a bit more view behind.

5) The f sport seats are hard to climb over the bolsters, any tricks getting in and out without squishing them? Should I worry about squishing the bolsters? (I'm in my 30's, average height/weight and in good shape, climbing out of my Mazdaspeed 3 it's a lot easier to clear the bolsters on it).

Going to mention the first 3 to the dealer when I take it in for the 1 month inspection but wondering if I'm alone in these weird things.
I think I can probably provide an answer to #3 --- it is due to self-restoring clear coat on NX. Not want to infringe the copyright. Here is just a little paragraph taken from Toyota Techinfo for NX.

"Self-restoring coat (improved scratch-resistant clear coat)

A clear layer which has high anti-scratch performance compared to the previous clear layer is provided. Damage to the paint applies stress to the coating, breaking down or deforming the coating. However, the anti-scratch clear coating makes the coating softer and more elastic, allowing the coating to resist damage and recover from deformation by the elasticity (spring) of the coating. Also, this anti-scratch clear layer uses an extremely highperformance macromolecule polymer developed using nanotechnology (which controls responsiveness and functionality at the molecular level) to maintain coating performance (anti-scratch performance, gloss and color) over a long period of time. "

As the self-restoring portion of clear coat is a bit softer (ie. elastic), some micro scratches can momentarily occur and it will get restoredl over time. Heat will speed up the process. You can pour some warm and slightly hot water to the area and you may see it gets healed in a very short time (within minutes) But for the low temperature in the Canadian winter, it could take days or weeks to occur.

Also there is a limitation. That restoring layer of clear coat is quite thin. Swirls and marring caused by hand car wash are okay but not for some deeper scratches and swirls, as the impact already passes the top portion of the anti-scratch/self-healing/restoring clear coat. Some compounding/polish with abrasive will wear off that layer of restoring clear coat as well.

For peace of mind, I just forget it has self-restoring coat and get glass coating treatment and self-healing PPF which are way more effective.
Old 01-05-17, 10:41 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

3) Yes, too soft. Mirror housing too. I had some bug splats that I tried to scrape off with my nail or finger, and it left scratches.

4) I removed the headrests, however I usually drop down the rear seats for the convenience of throwing my bike in.
Old 01-06-17, 07:26 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy

4 - Yes, Rear visibility is the issue at first but I got used to it by the second week (I came from a giant Tundra). My wife on the other hand can't stand it since she is used to the GX's Larger mirrors

5- I found it hard to get in and out of the seat as well and worry about destroying it quickly but feel better after Mr. MR2's report.

Enjoy.
Old 01-06-17, 11:34 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Lexus paint sucks... always has. Just wait 'til you begin to accumulate ships in the hood. My 2 GX470's had at least 1/2 dozen chips each before I traded them in....
Old 01-06-17, 11:39 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by jugdish
Lexus paint sucks... always has. Just wait 'til you begin to accumulate ships in the hood. My 2 GX470's had at least 1/2 dozen chips each before I traded them in....
I had Xpel paint protection film installed on the front end of mine to hopefully minimize this. Every vehicle I've owned without it has been rock chipped in no time, so I've gotten into the habit of just getting them with paint protection film from the beginning.

Thanks to all for the answers...still going to take a few up with the dealer but helps put my mind at ease.

I'm coming from my 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 (which will soon be sold, the Lexus is replacing it) and a 2008 Toyota Rav4 v6 Limited as the beater/fiance's vehicle. I had seriously considered the Porsche Macan but could not at this stage of my life justify the extra $25,000 it would have cost for a reasonably equipped one. I was able to get my NX for $55,000 all in on the top trim F Sport in Canada (a little over $8200 off MSRP).

Here it is at the dealer when I picked it up for delivery on it's winter rims/tires:

Old 01-09-17, 09:13 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm not sure if I would blame Lexus paint in general. Black paint shows EVERYTHING more, including swirls, dirt, and even dust. I try to keep my cars clean and swirl free, and I think I do a pretty good job. With this in mind, I bought a black CT200h a couple of years ago. I thought I could deal with the black paint because it's a small car and I could polish it as necessary to keep it swirl free. I was wrong. The paint is very soft, and will develop swirls in a heartbeat. I couldn't keep up with it. I was polishing some part of the car every month or 2, and it still never looked right. I had to adjust my expectations quite a bit, and finally found a good excuse to rid myself of the car. I love the paint on my current cars (Starfire Pearl, and Nebula Gray Pearl).

I also believe in clear masks to minimize chips.

You should spend some time on the Automotive Care & Detailing forum. There are some great resources there
Old 01-09-17, 09:57 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I'm not sure if I would blame Lexus paint in general. Black paint shows EVERYTHING more, including swirls, dirt, and even dust. I try to keep my cars clean and swirl free, and I think I do a pretty good job. With this in mind, I bought a black CT200h a couple of years ago. I thought I could deal with the black paint because it's a small car and I could polish it as necessary to keep it swirl free. I was wrong. The paint is very soft, and will develop swirls in a heartbeat. I couldn't keep up with it. I was polishing some part of the car every month or 2, and it still never looked right. I had to adjust my expectations quite a bit, and finally found a good excuse to rid myself of the car. I love the paint on my current cars (Starfire Pearl, and Nebula Gray Pearl).

I also believe in clear masks to minimize chips.

You should spend some time on the Automotive Care & Detailing forum. There are some great resources there
My Mazdaspeed 3 is black, 6 years old, and I haven't ever noticed this with the paint on it and Mazda's aren't exactly known for having durable paint. I've always done my own detailing on vehicles, I know how to correct the issue once it's there but I'm pretty surprised at just how soft the clear coat seems to be. Hopefully the self healing coat is actually effective.