NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Engine coolant leak - replace water pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-16, 07:59 PM
Buddy888
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine coolant leak - replace water pump

Took the NX in today for the 32000KM service, got a call from my Advisor stating they found engine coolant leak and are recommending to replace the water pump. This will all be covered under the warranty. Advisor says this has been a common problem in the NX as they have already needed to fix a few with this problem. My NX is pretty new, bought in summer of 2015 and with 32000 KM. Is this normal on such a new vehicle? Has this been a reoccurring problem on previous Lexus vehicles? Have not seen any posts regarding this issues in the NX Forum has anyone experienced this on their NX.
Old 11-30-16, 11:30 PM
acheuk
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haven't seen anyone that has the same problem on this forum yet. You're the first.

This is definitely not normal for a vehicle with such low mileage. I know the ES V6 had leaky water pump in earlier model year but with more miles on the engine though.
Old 12-01-16, 04:37 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^+1

OP, You're the first I see this since this forum's inception. Same for the IS 200t (not one report). Common problem??

I'm skeptical with this one. With the high-tech cars of today where DIYer's are tinkering far less with the mechanicals, dealers have the "opportunity" to make almost anything up to make a buck (this case from Lexus corporate's pocket) for the work they did on "a discovered issue". I'd ask to see the defective part/leak area and get the number of issues reported.
Old 12-01-16, 08:51 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

At the risk of seeming argumentative, why does it matter if it's a common issue or a one off, other than simply being interested/curious (which I would be, too!)? However, the answer wouldn't change whether I would let them fix it. I agree that it's pretty early, but what's the downside of letting them replace it? Personally, I would enjoy driving a loaner for a day or 2 (I hope you got a good one), and using their gas.

I do agree with CorradoMR2, and his skepticism about dealership service departments, which I believe is a Lexus weak point. I also understand that by paying for needless repairs increases Lexus' costs, and potentially impacts the price of their vehicles. However, I'd make them pay for a new water pump, and let them fight it out with the dealer as they see fit. Other than not ever wanting to deal with dishonest people, it's not important to me to catch them myself.
Old 12-01-16, 12:50 PM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2nd gen IS was notorious for only lasting around 60k which I thought was too early. Mine did and many on the forum.
Old 12-01-16, 02:12 PM
doomdealer
Driver School Candidate

For interest, which dealership was in Calgary? Lexus of Royal Oak or Lexus of Calgary?

I have a 2015 NX 200t myself with around the same KMs as you. I haven't noticed any leaks as of yet.
Old 12-02-16, 08:52 PM
Buddy888
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by doomdealer
For interest, which dealership was in Calgary? Lexus of Royal Oak or Lexus of Calgary?

I have a 2015 NX 200t myself with around the same KMs as you. I haven't noticed any leaks as of yet.

It was the Lexus of Royal Oak dealership. Lexus of Calgary service department is absolutely horrible.
Old 12-02-16, 08:59 PM
Buddy888
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Woodrow
At the risk of seeming argumentative, why does it matter if it's a common issue or a one off, other than simply being interested/curious (which I would be, too!)? However, the answer wouldn't change whether I would let them fix it. I agree that it's pretty early, but what's the downside of letting them replace it? Personally, I would enjoy driving a loaner for a day or 2 (I hope you got a good one), and using their gas.

I do agree with CorradoMR2, and his skepticism about dealership service departments, which I believe is a Lexus weak point. I also understand that by paying for needless repairs increases Lexus' costs, and potentially impacts the price of their vehicles. However, I'd make them pay for a new water pump, and let them fight it out with the dealer as they see fit. Other than not ever wanting to deal with dishonest people, it's not important to me to catch them myself.
Personally, I was just curious as to why such a new vehicle would have this problem. Especially a new Lexus. It could just be a one off but still does worry me at such low KM's.
Old 12-03-16, 12:40 AM
nickage87
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What???? Water pump leak on a Lexus vehicle? Are you kidding?

I have had several cars with over 200K miles on them, never replaced water pumps or had any issues with them.
Old 12-04-16, 10:10 PM
Buddy888
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nickage87
What???? Water pump leak on a Lexus vehicle? Are you kidding?

I have had several cars with over 200K miles on them, never replaced water pumps or had any issues with them.
No Way...Really??? Multiple vehicles with over 200K miles and no issues.
Old 12-05-16, 05:46 AM
nickage87
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy888
No Way...Really??? Multiple vehicles with over 200K miles and no issues.
Not with the engine, I came from Honda/acura world, their engines considered one of the best in terms of reliability. Not sure about Toyota engines, I know that overall Toyota makes reliable cars, do they tend to have some issues with engines?
Old 12-05-16, 09:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

There seem to be a lot of threads and posts on the 5th gen ES350 forum (2007-2012) of water pumps failing on higher mileage cars. Different engines etc., but the same part with problems at higher mileage.
Old 12-12-16, 09:05 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Buddy888, did you end up getting this fixed? Were you able to find evidence of a leak? A coolant leak should be pretty obvious.

I agree that dealers may be trying to find excuses to fix things. Same thing happened with my IS last service. The service rep asked if I noticed any "funny sounds" from the front end when backing up. I indicated yes as the front suspension always made a click backing out of the driveway. 3 hours later, they said the replaced the front sway bar bushings. Lexus quoted 12 hours but they completed the work in 3 hours (with my oil change). I had to leave without paperwork because they had to wait 12 hours to lapse and when I got home, the suspension still made the same sound. I question if anything was done, or if this was a cash grab for 12 hours of warranty service.
Old 12-14-16, 09:43 PM
Buddy888
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by computerwi
Buddy888, did you end up getting this fixed? Were you able to find evidence of a leak? A coolant leak should be pretty obvious.

I agree that dealers may be trying to find excuses to fix things. Same thing happened with my IS last service. The service rep asked if I noticed any "funny sounds" from the front end when backing up. I indicated yes as the front suspension always made a click backing out of the driveway. 3 hours later, they said the replaced the front sway bar bushings. Lexus quoted 12 hours but they completed the work in 3 hours (with my oil change). I had to leave without paperwork because they had to wait 12 hours to lapse and when I got home, the suspension still made the same sound. I question if anything was done, or if this was a cash grab for 12 hours of warranty service.
Hey Computerwi, I did have this fixed by the Lexus dealership. I could not find any evidence and even spoke with my adviser to see if they could provide me with any details regarding the leak. Basically all the info I got was that the mechanic noticed a crack in the water pump or something and that's about it.....
Old 02-25-17, 12:53 PM
TMO888
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine coolant leak - replace water pump

Same there My 2015 NX 200t F-Sport only have 20000 Mileage, i find a Engine Coolant leak in my garage , Took back the dealer today they have to replace water pump !!!!!

Quick Reply: Engine coolant leak - replace water pump