NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Thoughts on windshield replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-16, 05:24 AM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thoughts on windshield replacement?

Hi All -

So, windshield got hit with a sizable rock yesterday
Never saw it, but the sound scared the youknowwhat outta me! And there it was, a nice chunk taken out and already that sliver line of the crack spreading.....watched it continue to spread from the dashboard line halfway up the center of the windshield and down to the bottom base.

So I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on replacement.
Thinking I will want to go through Lexus to ensure quality, but more so because I understand the windshield on the NX actually plays a structural support role and that may be something that a non-Lexus windshield repair company wouldn't be aware of...?

I did purchase an extra care package when I purchased my NX, but need to review that to make sure it included the windshield; I'm thinking it did...I know it covered the upholstery, dash, carpet, paint, wheels, etc.

So, would really appreciate your input/thoughts/suggestions!

best,
dCota
Old 11-20-16, 08:42 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Lexus typically outsources these repairs so the important thing is to ensure you go to a reputable place that warrants the work if you choose to go independent.

One thing I would definitely want is a Lexus OEM windshield as it is sound laminated (Lamisafe). Good luck!
Old 11-20-16, 09:53 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dCota
Hi All -

So, windshield got hit with a sizable rock yesterday
Never saw it, but the sound scared the youknowwhat outta me! And there it was, a nice chunk taken out and already that sliver line of the crack spreading.....watched it continue to spread from the dashboard line halfway up the center of the windshield and down to the bottom base.

So I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on replacement.
Thinking I will want to go through Lexus to ensure quality, but more so because I understand the windshield on the NX actually plays a structural support role and that may be something that a non-Lexus windshield repair company wouldn't be aware of...?

I did purchase an extra care package when I purchased my NX, but need to review that to make sure it included the windshield; I'm thinking it did...I know it covered the upholstery, dash, carpet, paint, wheels, etc.

So, would really appreciate your input/thoughts/suggestions!

best,
dCota
Lexus does in fact farm it out to a auto glass company. You want it made clear that it is lexus OEM glass, not aftermarket. I don't know about the structural part of the glass but, I do know that it is acoustical glass to keep engine sounds out of the cockpit.

If you have full glass coverage you can get it replaced in most places.

Good luck.
Old 11-24-16, 05:11 AM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks very much!

Best,
dCota
Old 12-06-16, 07:22 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Did they cover it because 2 companies I have had would not do OEM unless I paid the difference out of pocket?