NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Headlight On/Off Sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-16, 04:38 PM
batchelor
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Headlight On/Off Sensitivity

I can see where to adjust this but does the higher number mean more sensitive and that the lights are more likely to turn on at dusk and dawn or less likely? Thank you.

Last edited by batchelor; 10-31-16 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Question Corection
Old 11-04-16, 10:06 AM
batchelor
Pole Position

Can anyone help with this question before I turn to the dealer?
Old 11-04-16, 10:59 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

have you just tried to experiment by going to the extreme settings?
Old 11-04-16, 11:08 AM
batchelor
Pole Position

Unfortunately, I come out of an underground parking garage each day where the lights automatically come on in the garage, regardless of the setting but some mornings when I get outside at dawn, the lights stay on, when I think they should be turning off. I have moved the setting from 0 to +2 but have noticed no discernible change and again, am not sure if that movement has made the vehicle less or more sensitive to turning the lights on. The owners manual gives no explanation as to what is the difference between -2 to +2.
Old 11-04-16, 01:45 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by batchelor
I can see where to adjust this but does the higher number mean more sensitive and that the lights are more likely to turn on at dusk and dawn or less likely? Thank you.
Hey @batchelor, I wanted to know this myself, and I played around with the settings. After selecting +/-2, I covered up the sensor with my hand. I can't say that is an accurate test, however the lights did automatically turn on.

Here is what I found:
• Lights seem to come on automatically around the same amount of time, regardless of sensitivity.
• At +2, lights would turn off quicker after removing my hand, maybe 5 secs.
• At -2, lights would turn off slightly slower, around 10 sec.

I didnt use a timer, just counted Mississippi's, so timing might be off, but you get the relative idea.

Hope that helps!
The following users liked this post:
batchelor (12-07-16)
Old 11-04-16, 01:50 PM
batchelor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by d8168055
Hey @batchelor, I wanted to know this myself, and I played around with the settings. After selecting +/-2, I covered up the sensor with my hand. I can't say that is an accurate test, however the lights did automatically turn on.

Here is what I found:
• Lights seem to come on automatically around the same amount of time, regardless of sensitivity.
• At +2, lights would turn off quicker after removing my hand, maybe 5 secs.
• At -2, lights would turn off slightly slower, around 10 sec.

I didnt use a timer, just counted Mississippi's, so timing might be off, but you get the relative idea.

Hope that helps!
It does indeed, thank you very much!! I actually thought it was related to the amount of light that turns the headlights on and off but if it just adjusts the timing, that is another factor. I appreciate your insight.

Last edited by batchelor; 11-04-16 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 12:47 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

The sensitivity DOES in fact adjust the amount of light required to trigger turning on the headlights, not the timing. My guess is that the timing plays a small factor as well to reduce on/off when going into a tunnel or under an overpass for example. But, if you're coming out of a garage or indoor parkade, no amount of the sensitivity reduction will prevent them from turning on in my experience. So, in my IS, I just turn them off manually to reduce the cycle count. This should be less of a deal for the LED headlights but excessive cycles for HIDs will diminish their life expectancy.

Your dealer (or the Carista app) can change the sensitivity from -2 to +2.
Old 11-07-16, 12:58 PM
batchelor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by computerwi
The sensitivity DOES in fact adjust the amount of light required to trigger turning on the headlights, not the timing. My guess is that the timing plays a small factor as well to reduce on/off when going into a tunnel or under an overpass for example. But, if you're coming out of a garage or indoor parkade, no amount of the sensitivity reduction will prevent them from turning on in my experience. So, in my IS, I just turn them off manually to reduce the cycle count. This should be less of a deal for the LED headlights but excessive cycles for HIDs will diminish their life expectancy.

Your dealer (or the Carista app) can change the sensitivity from -2 to +2.
Thank you, we can also adjust the sensitivity in the car general settings, I believe, but your point about turning them off in my underground is a good one.