NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Loose side mirror: any (dis-)assembly instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-16, 08:20 AM
xristos86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose side mirror: any (dis-)assembly instructions?

Hello everyone,

It appears that my driver's side mirror is somehow becoming a bit loose internally as I can feel a bit of "play" when I try to move the complete mirror up and down. It is also vibrating/rattling noticeably more than the passenger's side mirror when driving on uneven roads.
Is anyone familiar with the internals of the NX side mirrors? I read that in the RX there are a couple of screws that may get loose and one can tighten by removing the mirror housing.
Does the same apply to our mirrors? Does anyone have any tips on removing the side mirror housing without breaking anything?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-22-16, 10:37 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Why not let the dealer see it, probably replace it?
Old 10-23-16, 07:17 PM
xristos86
Driver School Candidate

Well, there are a couple of reasons I would like to take a look at this myself instead of or at least before going to the dealership:
1. The closest dealership is about 1 hour away, so I would like to save an extra trip there other than scheduled maintenance if I can.
2. There is a scratch on the mirror, so I am worried the dealer may refuse to cover it under warranty and it may cost me an arm and a leg even if it is a simple fix in reality.
So, if anyone has any structural and/or assembly info on the side mirror that might allow me to evaluate the situation and perhaps fix the issue myself, please share. Thanks!
Old 03-05-17, 01:20 PM
jayy178
Rookie

were disassembly instructions ever provided? Im looking to dis-assemble my mirror as well as I cracked it and want to see what parts I can replace myself
Old 03-07-17, 06:53 PM
xristos86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jayy178
were disassembly instructions ever provided? Im looking to dis-assemble my mirror as well as I cracked it and want to see what parts I can replace myself
Unfortunately no instructions were ever provided, but I went ahead and did it anyway. What do you need to replace? Did you just crack the mirror glass or something else too?
Old 03-18-17, 09:27 PM
jayy178
Rookie

I cracked the outside housing on the outer end after backing up and swiping it on the side of my garage. It's just the outside edge that's cracked with a few plastic pieces missing. I'm trying to determine if I can just replace the plastic housing and keep the mirror + wires + internals.
Old 03-19-17, 01:47 PM
xristos86
Driver School Candidate

Well, one thing you need to know is that the available parts are:
1. The mirror glass
2. The mirror turn signal
3. The outer cover that is the color of the rest of the car instead of black
4. A package that includes all of the above plus the mirror "base"

So, in short, if you have cracked just 1, 2, or 3, then you can get that part standalone. But if you have (also) cracked anything else, then you need to order the whole mirror.

The "basic" mirror is not very expensive, but the price can triple depending on the extras your mirror has such as blind spot monitor and auto-dimming glass.
You can save money by buying the "basic" mirror package and then swapping parts between the broken and the new mirror, but it is not an easy process, I am not going to lie. You have to pretty much take the whole mirror completely apart part-by-part, including the wire harness etc.