NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

1 Year on; is the love still there?

Old 10-20-16, 10:03 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I know that lots of people have issues with the touchpad controller for the infotainment. I really don't use it that much, choosing to use buttons on the dash when I can. It was pretty bad at first, and I tried working through the weird feel for a few days before I adjusted ALL of the annoying "Haptic Feedback" out. Now I have no issue with it at all. I highly recommend you consider trying this if you're unhappy with the feel

I only have 4 months and 2K miles on mine, but I really like it.I have no rattles so far, except from the center seatbelt storage in the roof, and that is intermittent. I'll eventually find a way to make it stop. I'm pleasantly surprised by the drivetrain. The engine has more pep than I expected for everyday use. It's no race car, but once the turbo spools up it can still make me smile, and the transmission is good for an SUV that prizes smoothness over quickness. My favorite part of the NX is the way it looks. The LED headlights are worth every penny, the paint is great, and the interior is what I expect from Lexus as is the fit and finish. I was skeptical of the NuLux interior but I don't really notice a difference, and it's easy to care for.

The bottom line is that I feel pretty good about having it and driving it. I missed that feeling a lot with my CT.
Old 10-20-16, 11:41 AM
MartinJX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

15 months in, no regrets. Mine doesn't rattle, but it's disturbing to hear of several rattly examples. Love the hybrid drivetrain, though it could use another 20kW. My sense is that cabin quality is on a par with the German brands I've sampled, and much richer in design terms. Biggest criticism is wind noise. At first I thought I was imagining it, but there have been several posts about it here, and at a 70mph cruise there is no doubt that there is excessive noise from the mirror area. On the other hand, the quietness of the drive makes the wind noise more prominent. In the UK, Autocar magazine found that the NX cabin was as quiet at 70mph as the F-Pace (diesel) cabin was at 30mph, and most passengers I've had have marvelled at the quiet cabin. The sculptural exterior remains a delight, and neither the new Q5 nor GLC comes close aesthetically. So some room for improvement, but still a great and individual choice, I think.
Old 10-22-16, 06:07 AM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Woodrow;9655270]I know that lots of people have issues with the touchpad controller for the infotainment. I really don't use it that much, choosing to use buttons on the dash when I can. It was pretty bad at first, and I tried working through the weird feel for a few days before I adjusted ALL of the annoying "Haptic Feedback" out. Now I have no issue with it at all. I highly recommend you consider trying this if you're unhappy with the feel

only have 4 months and 2K miles on mine, but I really like it.I have no rattles so far, except from the center seatbelt storage in the roof, and that is intermittent. I'll eventually find a way to make it stop. I'm pleasantly surprised by the drivetrain. The engine has more pep than I expected for everyday use. It's no race car, but once the turbo spools up it can still make me smile, and the transmission is good for an SUV that prizes smoothness over quickness. My favorite part of the NX is the way it looks. The LED headlights are worth every penny, the paint is great, and the interior is what I expect from Lexus as is the fit and finish. I was skeptical of the NuLux interior but I don't really notice a difference, and it's easy to care for.

I had the same occasional rattle from that roof-mounted seatbelt, until I finally figured out that it wasn't quite "latched" into the ceiling the way it needed to be. Give it a double-check, making sure you feel it snap-in fully; it should be completely and entirely "stowed" into the ceiling pocket. Once I figured out how to do it, rattle gone 100% and now I have NO rattles whatsoever.

I'm 15 months in on my NX F Sport and love it as much today as when I ordered it!

Best,
dCota
Old 10-22-16, 07:43 AM
tmknight
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Touchpad: Set Feedback to Lowest

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I tried working through the weird feel for a few days before I adjusted ALL of the annoying "Haptic Feedback" out. Now I have no issue with it at all. I highly recommend you consider trying this if you're unhappy with the feel
+1 Makes the pad much more usable
Old 10-22-16, 07:50 AM
tmknight
Driver School Candidate

Default Paint Quality

the paint is great
What color do you have?

I have atomic silver and feel the paint durability is sub-par. Started getting chips at 1K mi that I feel were unreasonable. That is, I'm one of those annoying people who hangs way back behind the vehicle in front and avoids following trucks like the plague. Other vehicles I own, one 14yo, have fared much better with the same driving style and conditions.

Otherwise, still enjoy the car.
Old 10-22-16, 08:25 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by tmknight
What color do you have?

I have atomic silver and feel the paint durability is sub-par. Started getting chips at 1K mi that I feel were unreasonable. That is, I'm one of those annoying people who hangs way back behind the vehicle in front and avoids following trucks like the plague. Other vehicles I own, one 14yo, have fared much better with the same driving style and conditions.

Otherwise, still enjoy the car.
We have an ES with Atomic Silver paint. We love the color, that particular silver is really unique. However, we have also noticed that paint seems really delicate and scratches easily. We haven't noticed this with other Lexus paints, but the Atomic Silver is either softer or that combination with the clear coat just reflects scratches more than other colors.
Old 10-24-16, 05:03 AM
tmknight
Driver School Candidate

Default Paint Quality

Originally Posted by Pinhead
paint color doesn't matter for hardness as most scratches are in the clear coat. some colors show better than others, thats what you are seeing.
Normally I would agree, however, that the chips go down to the base coat suggests the quality of that particular color blend and how it was applied (clear coat and all) is not of the same quality as other colors in the line.
Old 10-24-16, 01:16 PM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tmknight
What color do you have?....
My NX is Nebula Gray Pearl. I tend to take pretty good care of the paint, but other than the clear mask, nothing I do would protect it from rock chips. I must do something right, though I really don't know what. Our RX has maybe 5 or 10 small chips after 4 years, and most of those came from a road trip through New Mexico (Tumbleweeds were unavoidable!). Other than that, I've had no issues with chips in the paint on any of the 4 other Lexus we've had. 2 Starfire pearl, 1 Smokey Granite Mica, and 1 Obsidian have all had masks as well, but only on the hood and mirrors.

When I mentioned the paint, I was talking more about how well it takes a polish, and how good it looks in sunlight. The angles and body lines on the NX really show it off well. I almost bought an Atomic Silver NX when I got mine. It was a toss up, but the gray one only had 3 miles on it, which is what sold it for me. All of the Lexus 3 stage (pearl) paints look awesome in the sunlight, in my opinion.
Old 10-26-16, 07:27 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Thoughts at the 16 months and 20,000 km mark:

Pros:
  1. Heads-up display: Must have feature on my vehicles going forward. At first, I was annoyed and looking down at it even made me carsick, but I adapted somehow and it's turned into my favourite feature. Subtle but always on (just like BSM). Great aid for night-time driving.
  2. Handling: For a crossover, this is one of the most agile I've driven. Definitely better than the RX (although I haven't driven the 4th gen RX yet). Steering is nicely weighted and fairly responsive. Body roll is minimal during spirited city driving.
  3. Triple Beam LED headlights: The brightest, cleanest lights I've ever had. Cut-off is amazingly sharp and has a very wide angle of view.
  4. Seats (excluding the headrests, non F-Sport): Virtually no pressure points. No discomfort on a 16 hour road trip. The headrest is another questions (see below).
  5. Fit and finish: As expected for Lexus, interior and exterior fit and finish are perfect. No panel gaps, good attention to detail and I find the interior design simply and easy to use (except the trackpad controller, see below).
  6. Fellow Canadians: We actually get more features than our American friends for once! Thank you Lexus Canada. Now just add Mark-Levinson audio, panoramic roof, 360 degree camera, power folding mirrors, and bring the international style front bumper here.
Cons:
  1. Noise and rattles: I am very particular when it comes to noises and rattles. A few noises bother me:
    • The amount of engine noise on cold start-up is too much for a Lexus. I've complained to my dealer about a metal rattling sound during the first 30 seconds (and there's a post in the forum about it too), which was deemed normal compared to new NXs on the lot.
    • There is an annoying rattle in the back seat area that is reduced when the armrest is down (also noted by @coradomr2). That's a poor and unacceptable solution. I blame the excessive use of plastic parts in the rear of the vehicle.
    • Compared to previous RXs I’ve owned and my current IS, the cabin noise is a bit louder than what I expected for Lexus, but still overall acceptable.
  2. Headrest: There is a thread on this forum where a few owners have commented on the headrest being too far forward. Day-to-day, I don’t notice but during the 16 hour road trip, it became apparent. Tilting the seat back a bit helps. It would have been nice if the headrests would adjust fore and aft.
  3. Lower door seals collect debris: A design oversight by Lexus. In other vehicles where Toyota/Lexus has incorporated the rocker panel into the door, this problem does not exist. The self-fix @corradoMR2 proposes in the link should not be necessary.
  4. Trackpad: Many reviewers have complained about this system but it’s definitely not the worst interface I’ve used. I do think the joystick design was better though. With gloves, the trackpad is impossible to use and going over bumps makes your gestures jerk all over.
  5. Windshield distortion: Never started a thread about this problem, but I’ve always noticed a double vision effect at night. I’m not sure if this is because of the need for special glass for the HUD (not sure if special glass is even needed?). I didn’t want to change the windshield for this and never bothered to bring it up with the dealer because it would have to be during the night or early-morning.
  6. Power liftgate: The world’s slowest liftgate. It takes literally 7 full seconds to open and close the liftgate. Don’t try turning the power feature off because the resistance of the struts makes it near impossible to operate manually.
  7. Lack of manual disengagement for electric parking brake: Unlike the GS, there is no way for the owner to disengage the parking brake manually. If you NX ever gets stranded, the tow truck driver will have a fun time loading your vehicle.
  8. Audio system: Even the “premium” 10-speaker audio system in the top “Executive Package” in Canada isn’t that impressive. Base audio systems I’ve had in the RX were much clearer with significant bass. Putting the woofer in the tailgate was a bad idea. Sounds with even a moderate amount of bass make rattle things everywhere.

Last edited by computerwi; 10-26-16 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-27-16, 01:31 PM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Just a couple of quick thoughts regarding your comments, computerwi. I agree with almost all of them 100%

1) Noise and rattles. With one exception, I have had any rattles, yet. The exception is from the seat belt storage in the roof. I've done everything I can think of to get it to not rattle when I hit a seam in the road surface, but I can't eliminate it without simply removing it from the storage spot. Then I have to deal with it in my rear view mirror. Annoying.
2) Headrests - I have read that (in the US) the angle of the headrest is mandated by regulation. I will say that I have found the headrests pretty intrusive in most of the new cars, including our RX. I recline the seat a bit more, and adapt.
3) Trackpad - I found it is much more acceptable when it eliminate the "Haptic Feedback" in the settings, but you still get the issue with bumps.
4) Power Liftgate - I couldn't agree more! It is probably my least favorite "feature" in my car. It's good that I don't have to use it very often! I just don't understand why it won't properly disengage for manual operation
5) Parking brake - I assume you know that you can set it to full manual all of the time. It solves your issue, but you have to set it every time.

It's nice that you have validated almost all of my likes and dislikes!
Old 10-27-16, 02:54 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

5) Parking brake - I assume you know that you can set it to full manual all of the time. It solves your issue, but you have to set it every time.
I think what he's referring to is that the parking brake is electric, so if the car loses power, you can't disengage it. In the GS, there's a mechanical override release in the trunk should that ever happen.
Old 10-27-16, 03:06 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

First thing I did based on comments here earlier this year, was to remove the ceiling seat belt. I had no need for it anyway. Don't know if it will stop rattle, but might try it. I don't remember how did it, but someone here should know if interested.
Also cleans up rear view.
Old 10-27-16, 04:57 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kent2174
First thing I did based on comments here earlier this year, was to remove the ceiling seat belt. I had no need for it anyway. Don't know if it will stop rattle, but might try it. I don't remember how did it, but someone here should know if interested.
Also cleans up rear view.
You removed it? You can lock them up to the ceiling and it is secure:

TUCKED:
Old 10-27-16, 04:59 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Guess it's tucked, but removed from sight.
Old 11-04-16, 09:03 PM
Hawk789
Driver School Candidate

Same here - like overall, but:

Most irritating things:

Noisy on road - definitely needs improvement.
Touch pad and navigation system are a joke for nowdays.
Rear door - make it fast !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1 Year on; is the love still there?