NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Leather in f-sport 2017/18?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-16, 07:38 AM
Fyrcat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather in f-sport 2017/18?

i love my f-sport...I have had my 2016 for almost 6 months and find it zippy,stylish,sexy and super fun to drive. The ONE thing that still sticks in my craw is the "nuluxe" pleather on the seats. My last car was my 1999 RX that I owned for 17 years. The leather was immaculate when I used it for a trade in. I babied that car as I am this one. But I miss leather..I really do. I would go to a custom upholstery place, if it weren't for a little thing called my husband! And the cost of having someone custom make leather for my NX. Has anyone heard if Lexus might offer leather as an option for the f-sport anytime in the future? I have no idea why it wasn't either included or an option for the f-sport... After all, we are talking Lexus!
Old 09-03-16, 07:54 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Why do you dislike the NuLuxe fabric? I can't honestly tell much difference. Our 2013 RX with leather was showing cracks along the stretch marks from the animal hide used on the seats at three years and 5300 miles. Our ES with NuLuxe doesn't show any such wear at about 12k miles. Both materials feel and look the same. The only negative difference I have been able to perceive is that you don't have the leather smell.

Someone on the ES forum commented that the newer model Lexus cars are using a much thinner leather than was used in the past. He said you had to get into the semi-analin (probably misspelled that) leather to match the leathers used 10 or 15 years ago. I have no way to confirm this, just sharing a comment made on another Lexus forum. I will say our 2004 RX also had some light cracks beginning to show along the stretch marks at 9 years and 27k miles. It may also be worth noting, leather does carry a higher resale as a premium seat covering. I am personally pretty ambivalent about it. Can't see enough benefit to the leather to think I should really care. My biggest question is how it will hold up in five to ten years.

Last edited by TechNut; 09-03-16 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Specified fabric type on ES
Old 09-03-16, 08:06 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Why do you dislike the NuLuxe fabric? I can't honestly tell much difference. Our 2013 RX with leather was showing cracks along the stretch marks from the animal hide used on the seats at three years and 5300 miles. Our ES with NuLuxe doesn't show any such wear at about 12k miles. Both materials feel and look the same. The only negative difference I have been able to perceive is that you don't have the leather smell.

Someone on the ES forum commented that the newer model Lexus cars are using a much thinner leather than was used in the past. He said you had to get into the semi-analin (probably misspelled that) leather to match the leathers used 10 or 15 years ago. I have no way to confirm this, just sharing a comment made on another Lexus forum. I will say our 2004 RX also had some light cracks beginning to show along the stretch marks at 9 years and 27k miles. It may also be worth noting, leather does carry a higher resale as a premium seat covering. I am personally pretty ambivalent about it. Can't see enough benefit to the leather to think I should really care. My biggest question is how it will hold up in five to ten years.
Sorry, but I can tell immediately the NuLuxe from the leather. It is fine but definitely not as nice as the leather. My opinion of course.

As for the quality of the leather today vs the older models, I haven't heard anything on that. I truly doubt it. I can't see A a lexus scrimping on the leather. Frankly, I think the leather in the NX is outstanding. Better than my 05 RX.
Old 09-03-16, 08:29 AM
dadofahusk
Rookie

Its not just looks, its comfort. Leather breathes, NuLuxe, doesnt. Makes for a much warmer sweatier seat. Its why I opted not to get an F Sport
Old 09-03-16, 09:34 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Naturally, we all have our opinions based on past experiences and personal biases. I respect that we may not feel the same way. All I can say is that I have owned several Lexus vehicles, most with leather and now two with NuLuxe. I cannot tell a significant difference until they have a couple of years on them, then there is a noticeable difference. I have never personally sensed that NuLuxe is any "sweatier" than leather and the ES last year was the first car we bought in 20 years that didn't have leather. Just one opinion from someone that has owned both.
Old 09-03-16, 11:11 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I have never personally sensed that NuLuxe is any "sweatier" than leather and the ES last year was the first car we bought in 20 years that didn't have leather. Just one opinion from someone that has owned both.
Same here--NuLuxe is not like Leatherette--that is hot and does cause you to sweat. This is my second Lexus with the NuLuxe, the ES looked like the day it arrived after 3 years. Never felt hot sitting on the seats (North Carolina summers) in the ES or this past year with the FSport. Mercedes has used MBTex for years, and even has it on most of the E Class models in stock locally, so Lexus is not alone. It had much the same no-sweat appeal when I had one.
Old 09-03-16, 12:26 PM
Fyrcat
Rookie

For me, it's like going backwards..my first car was a ford pinto with vinyl seating. Every car since then has had leather. Maybe I'm being a big old snob..but I love the smell and feel of leather. I have to admit the nuluxe is is not bad...but I can feel and tell the difference. I am willing to live with it..but if leather ever became an option...I'd jump from the nuluxe ship first...
Old 09-03-16, 01:59 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

At the merc dealership looking for a car for the wife. The salesman was having a giggle over the exterior styling of the NX. Obviously no Lexus fan.
When he sat in it however he commented on the quality of the red perforated leather seats admitting Lexus uses one of the best quality leather in the business.
Old 09-03-16, 04:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I still prefer NuLuxe over leather. Loved it in my IS, and was sad my GS was only available with leather.

Lexus has stated in the past that they use NuLuxe on F Sport seats because it has more grip than leather. I doubt they'll change that anytime soon, if ever.
Old 09-03-16, 05:32 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Loving the nuluxe. Can throw away the leather cleaners and conditioners.
Old 09-04-16, 09:19 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

the NX refresh in most likely 2018 may have leather seats in the f sport car, but if there aren't too many complaints from people now with nuluxe, i cant see lexus changing it for 25% of the people that don't like it.
Old 09-05-16, 07:03 AM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fyrcat
For me, it's like going backwards..my first car was a ford pinto with vinyl seating. Every car since then has had leather. Maybe I'm being a big old snob..but I love the smell and feel of leather. I have to admit the nuluxe is is not bad...but I can feel and tell the difference. I am willing to live with it..but if leather ever became an option...I'd jump from the nuluxe ship first...
+1 (less the Pinto). This is one of several reasons that drove my purchase of an NX200t with the Luxury package.