NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Review: switched to K&N performance air filter...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 08:37 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Review: switched to K&N performance air filter...

I dropped in a K&N air filter into the old NX on the recommendation of a friend. Hoping for better performance and more importantly better mpg.

I've been driving around for a day and I must say I do feel the extra power. I drive in eco mode most of the time and now eco mode feels like i'm driving in normal or sport mode. So it seems that the extra air the turbos are sucking down is helping. Where I feel the most increase in power is at low speed/rpm which is good cause it seems to minimize the turbo lag.

One negative I've noticed is that the car runs rougher. It's been the determined that the quality of the fuel makes a big difference in how smooth the engine runs and I'm guessing that the extra air going into the engine exacerbates the problem.
Old 08-30-16, 04:33 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Thanks for the post. I tried once without any air filter for a couple miles and noticed the improved response. I also heard the release of air from the turbo's blow off valve which I did like. I would expect the free-flow filter you put in would do the same.

Old 08-31-16, 04:37 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be unusual for a K&N filter to allow for more power. They really don't flow anymore air then a new OEM paper filter. The big plus is that the filter can be washed and reused dozens of times. I've tested them many times on a dyno in several cars and never was able to measure a difference beyond dyno margin of error.
Old 08-31-16, 07:29 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr645
It would be unusual for a K&N filter to allow for more power. They really don't flow anymore air then a new OEM paper filter. The big plus is that the filter can be washed and reused dozens of times. I've tested them many times on a dyno in several cars and never was able to measure a difference beyond dyno margin of error.
I have used in the past and I will say that it does give you slight power, nothing to get crazy about but I disagree with you on that they don't flow any better than the OEM paper filter. The filter media is more open than the OEM.
Old 08-31-16, 08:07 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I want to believe a K&N filter would flow slightly better, and maybe the turbo would make it even more useful still. After the whole point of forced induction is to add more air. Seems logical that any improvement in this area would help, but I would hesitate to get too excited about how much.

Allowing more air wouldn't make it run rough, though. The computer would adjust the mixture as required.
Old 08-31-16, 12:00 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr645
Thats it right there. Butt dyno will make you feel like it has more power and justify your purchase. Back in my Honda/Acura days, they made more sound to give the illusion of power when VTEC kicked in. The magazines may have dynoed and found +2HP but lost some down the powerband, which is a complete waste of $200 (or whatever ridiculous price).

Keep the K&N only for the washability and reuse, but not for power.
Old 08-31-16, 12:09 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

placebo or butt dyno ROFL...
Research a little more on these K&N, yes they have more air, but with more air, comes more debris or particles that can and will harm your engine.
GL with your K&Ns, it's not worth it for me, just to clean them? you can buy any other filters and it won't break the bank when needing to change. jmo
Old 08-31-16, 03:04 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Is it true that you have to buy a special K&N cleaning kit (even more extra cost) just to clean the filter?

Old 08-31-16, 03:41 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Is it true that you have to buy a special K&N cleaning kit (even more extra cost) just to clean the filter?

K&N Air Filter - RIP OFF! - YouTube
The filters I've purchased in the past came with the cleaning kit. I don't know if they still do or not. The kit lasts for numerous cleanings and re-oilings. They do take a little time to clean and re-oil, you just schedule that into the other work you are doing. The guy in the video is an idiot, he admits he did not read the instructions and used way to much cleaner on the first cleaning. I'd hate to see how much oil he put back on the filter. Too much oil will cause issues, a little goes a long way.
Old 09-02-16, 05:14 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm personally not a huge fan of K&N filters because of the maintenance and oils that could leak into your intake if not properly applied. BUT... I do have it in my RC F and am happy with the added sound and slightly better throttle response.
Old 09-05-16, 04:44 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Afe power makes a great dry filter for the nx. I have one and it's cheaper than the tom's dry filter
Old 09-06-16, 04:08 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When cleaning, my local shop would charge $10 to clean the K&N filter, which I had them do when required. Hardly more then a bottle of cleaner and oil but I don't have to deal with it
Old 09-06-16, 07:53 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Update: MPG is up significantly since installing the filter. About 0.4 mpg more according to the car's display. Which is significant considering I haven't reset the meter.
Old 09-06-16, 12:49 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00
Update: MPG is up significantly since installing the filter. About 0.4 mpg more according to the car's display. Which is significant considering I haven't reset the meter.
Thats great. Keep us informed. We rairely drive the car hard so improved power would not be noticed, but if the mileage improves significantly, that would be reason enough to try one on the NX.
Old 09-06-16, 08:09 PM
NXblue
Rookie

Uh, in a small way, I agree w this guy! Probably not worth the time & effort if not in a "race" car! HOWEVER, you have to question him about the time he has to spend cleaning, drying & re-oiling the air filter when in the background he has a sowing machine & an iron unit? Really? Who does that anymore? And how much time do they take up?? Hahaha! I guess you have to have your priorities sometimes!!!