NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

5 Things You Should Never Do In A Turbocharged Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-16, 03:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default 5 Things You Should Never Do In A Turbocharged Vehicle

In relation to the many discussions in this forum on fuel and turbo cool down among others...

Old 07-23-16, 08:32 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinhead
Don't shut the car off after running your car really hard...
I think 99% of NX sold aren't driven hard enough to warrant a turbo timer esq procedure for a cooldown.
The NX owner's manual does provide specific guidelines on idle cool down even for normal city driving.

Old 07-24-16, 10:02 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The NX owner's manual does provide specific guidelines on idle cool down even for normal city driving.

Does anyone actually let there car idle for 20 seconds before turning it off, on a normal basis? Seems kinda annoying especially when arriving at your destination. That's definitely a weird suggestion in the manual.
Old 07-24-16, 11:20 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

o
Originally Posted by dchar
Does anyone actually let there car idle for 20 seconds before turning it off, on a normal basis? Seems kinda annoying especially when arriving at your destination. That's definitely a weird suggestion in the manual.
The cool down certainly can't hurt. IMO having it in the manual is part good driver information and part CYA just in case something happens. I have two non-Lexus cars with 2.0t engines and the owners manuals don't cover a cool down before engine shutdown. I have found that my normal routine allows for a brief idle period before I shut the cars off. I hope it helps...
Old 07-24-16, 06:39 PM
Doritos46
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the 2016 manual, it says no cool down needed for normal city driving... and 1 minute cool down for driving at 62 mph. 2 minute cool down for steep hill driving and > 62 mph or more??

How did they come up with 62 mph
Old 07-24-16, 08:27 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Doritos46
On the 2016 manual, it says no cool down needed for normal city driving... and 1 minute cool down for driving at 62 mph. 2 minute cool down for steep hill driving and > 62 mph or more??

How did they come up with 62 mph
62 mph is equivalent to 100 km/h.
Old 07-25-16, 05:38 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree on the point that most owners will not drive the car hard enough to merit a cooldown, but also keep in mind that Toyota has the delusion that its safe to run your oil up to 10,000 miles before a change. So, you could probably avoid the cooldown for normal city driving if you're willing to change your oil every 5,000 miles.
Old 07-25-16, 08:53 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
I agree on the point that most owners will not drive the car hard enough to merit a cooldown, but also keep in mind that Toyota has the delusion that its safe to run your oil up to 10,000 miles before a change. So, you could probably avoid the cooldown for normal city driving if you're willing to change your oil every 5,000 miles.
If I were running non-synthetic oil, I would change my oil every 5,000 to 7,000 miles, depending on how I drive during that period.

However with synthetic oil (which came standard in my Lexus), I will change it approximately 8,000 to 10,000 miles—again—depending on how I drive for that period.
Old 07-25-16, 01:50 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
The speed limits in my neighborhood are 20MPH. By the time I pull into my garage, it's been idling much more than that. Also, cruising through parking lots looking for a space is basically idling. By the time I find a space I figure it's been idling long enough.
Old 04-01-19, 12:35 PM
Newnx
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just checked my 2018 NX 300 manual. It looks like the cool down time has been eliminated for most of driving conditions, except the steep hill driving and towing. It makes me wonder any technical changes to cool down the turbo in refreshed model year or they don't care anymore.

The following users liked this post:
astinus4 (04-03-19)
Old 04-02-19, 08:41 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
If I were running non-synthetic oil, I would change my oil every 5,000 to 7,000 miles, depending on how I drive during that period.

However with synthetic oil (which came standard in my Lexus), I will change it approximately 8,000 to 10,000 miles—again—depending on how I drive for that period.
The maintenance manual suggests that driving your car in the winter or taking trips of less than a few miles at a time makes it severe conditions and requires a 5,000 mile oil change interval. So anyone living in a cold climate or an urban area should be changing at 5k.

A couple of those tips are good, but i think most people driving an nx don't really have to worry about this stuff and it is geared more toward something like the subaru he is driving. You should always warm up your car regardless of turbo or not, but if you don't and you get a little less life out of the car, so what overall its not going to kill the car any faster for the average user. The low rpm preignition i don't think its possible in a car with an auto, even when i am towing the camper the car doesn't spend much time in a low rpm high load condition, the revs kick up pretty quickly. I actually think the car drives much better with the extra load of the camper, it really minimizes that initial turbo lag. Nx does something like 7.0 seconds 0-60 but more like 7.8 5-60 so there is significant lag in the beginning which i find is about the only annoying thing with the way the car drives. As to understeer, Lexus cars always understeer, and i don't know of anyone who will want to drive the nx hard enough to experience these things as it isn't exactly a great handling car and its high center of gravity will usually keep people from flicking it around too much. It is fun in the snow though.

Last edited by gompka; 04-02-19 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-02-19, 05:19 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I live in MN and have been changing oil every 10k with synthetic in our Highlander per the dealer’s suggestion. My Lexus dealer also said 10k for the NX.
Old 04-03-19, 06:15 AM
gompka
Racer

Originally Posted by ross7777
I live in MN and have been changing oil every 10k with synthetic in our Highlander per the dealer’s suggestion. My Lexus dealer also said 10k for the NX.
If you live in a bigger city in MN then I'm sure most of your trips fall into the 5 mile or less category. So at least when its cold out you should be changing it at 5k according to the manual. I don't what dealer says, manual is more reliable. Dealers are hit and miss.
Old 04-03-19, 06:56 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by gompka

If you live in a bigger city in MN then I'm sure most of your trips fall into the 5 mile or less category. So at least when its cold out you should be changing it at 5k according to the manual. I don't what dealer says, manual is more reliable. Dealers are hit and miss.
I live in a suburb of Minneapolis but my trips are over 5 miles. I think I’m safe. I get what they’re saying. Trips under 5 miles in cold weather wouldn’t get the engine up to temp.
The following users liked this post:
gompka (04-03-19)
Old 04-03-19, 07:01 AM
gompka
Racer

Originally Posted by ross7777
I live in a suburb of Minneapolis but my trips are over 5 miles. I think I’m safe. I get what they’re saying. Trips under 5 miles in cold weather wouldn’t get the engine up to temp.
Exactly, there is another note on the next page of the manual that says you only have to follow the special maintenance if a majority of your driving falls into one of those categories. So occasional towing or occasional short trips you can still do a 10k interval. Based on what my oil looks and smells like in the nx, i think 10k intervals with synthetic seem to be ok, even after towing an 1800 lb camper for 5k continuous miles the oil didn't look too bad.

Quick Reply: 5 Things You Should Never Do In A Turbocharged Vehicle