NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

APEXi N1-X EVOLUTION EXTREME Install (axle-back)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-16, 02:00 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default APEXi N1-X EVOLUTION EXTREME Install (axle-back)

My turn for the APEXi N1-X EVOLUTION EXTREME. Thanks to Lou @ModInJapan for the hook up, and if anyone is looking, he is the man. Best price, and super fast shipping. Lou told me the exhaust would ship out "tomorrow," and not only did it ship out, I received the exhaust "tomorrow"!

This is the install for the axle back system. First take is that it is almost stock sounding, probably due to 1. there is a HUGE OE resonator silencing sound and, 2. there will be a break-in period of the exhaust. There is a deeper note on the throttle drop off and a low hum around the 1500K mark (which is around cruising speed). Anything above/below, sounds stock.

Overall, my advice is to get the FULL-CATBACK system if you want anything more than a low hum. I guess I was under the impression that the axle back would suffice due to the fact that I had an APEXi N1 back in my Integra days and it was LOUDDD (even with the silencer installed).

==========================================================================

A. Removal of OE rear section

1. Jack up rear of the car and secure it with jack stands. There is a plate you unscrew and slide to get access to the jack point. (Yes, that is a PS’d jack, I forgot to take a pic.)

2. Remove bolts from that connect the rear section and the mid pipe (resonator is on the bottom of the pic)

3. Remove the brackets that hold the exhaust in place. This is easier than trying to remove the exhaust from the rubber hangers at this point.

4. Lastly, remove the exhaust from the rubber hanger that is connected to the subframe (see step B2 to see how to do this)

Stock rear section is dropped.

===========================================================================

Comparison shot of both rear sections

B. Prep APEXi exhaust for Installation

1. Bolt up the pipe to the muffler section, and don’t forget to add the included gasket. Hand tighten the bolts and screws for now. (sorry no pic, but it is self-explanatory)

2. Remove the rubber hangers WITH the brackets intact.

An easy way to do this is to use a thin Phillips screwdriver and spray WD-40 in it. Push it out from behind as you lift with the Phillips head.

3. Place the rubber hangers and brackets onto the APEXi exhaust. IMPORTANT: NOTE THE ORIENTATION of the hangers! The OE hangers face the front of the vehicle while the APEXi face out the back. See below pics for correct orientation.

C. Installation of APEXi Exhaust

1. Basically reverse of the removal. Have your buddy help you out, and raise the exhaust up to the car.

Hand tighten the exhaust brackets to make it easier to install the rest.

2. Mount the sub-frame rubber hanger from step A-4 to the exhaust. (sorry no pic)

3. Tighten the springs and bolts to mid pipe resonator

4. Tighten the exhaust pipe bolts from B-1.

5. Finally tighten the exhaust brackets on to the frame. With the APEXi dual pipe design, you won’t have a straight shot at those bolts anymore, you will need an angle socket to tighten the bolts.

DONE!

Old 07-18-16, 04:19 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

With the new exhaust installed, does it interfere with this access panel (see modified image above). In other words, was the pic taken before you put it back on or will it not go back on?

Old 07-18-16, 04:27 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NXOwner
With the new exhaust installed, does it interfere with this access panel (see modified image above). In other words, was the pic taken before you put it back on or will it not go back on?

Yes, the access panel will still go on with ease. The car in the pic is still on jackstands, so I needed that open to lower the car.
Old 07-18-16, 04:30 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by d8168055
Yes, the access panel will still go on with ease. The car in the pic is still on jackstands, so I needed that open to lower the car.
Cool. My panel is permanently removed because of my receiver hitch install requires that it be removed, so now I have to jack mine up using alternative jack points.
Old 07-18-16, 04:43 PM
datpimp007
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome write-up. So much better than mine ;-).

So what do you plan to do with your old exhaust? Mine is sitting in my garage and just taking up space.

Last edited by datpimp007; 07-18-16 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-18-16, 04:58 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Originally Posted by datpimp007
Awesome write-up. So much better than mine ;-).

So what do you plan to do with your old exhaust? Mine is stilling in my garage and just taking up space.
Thanks man, you got the full cat-back correct? I plan to get the midpipe at a later time, it seriously sounds stock as is. And yes, unfortunately the stock exhaust is sitting in my bedroom, I've already run out of space in my garage.
Old 07-18-16, 05:39 PM
datpimp007
Rookie

Correct, full cat-back. It's fun. I think you're right about the break-in. It's sort of getting louder, especially at lower RPMs but then again that could be a placebo effect. lol
Old 07-19-16, 02:35 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Nice DIY.

Great sounding exhaust.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-19-16, 10:40 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

My turn for the APEXi N1-X EVOLUTION EXTREME. Thanks to Lou @ModInJapan for the hook up, and if anyone is looking, he is the man. Best price, and super fast shipping. Lou told me the exhaust would ship out "tomorrow," and not only did it ship out, I received the exhaust "tomorrow"!

Thank you for the kind words. Great write up.

Let me know when your ready for your midpipe and or any other parts you might be interested in

Old 08-08-16, 06:28 PM
bman2723
Driver

Received 57 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the Detailed DIY - It will help me tomorrow for my install - very well done !!
Old 08-08-16, 06:40 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

A+ on the DIY. It's now in the FAQ/DIY thread

Sounds like a resonator-delete (straight pipe) would do the trick to increase the volume.
Old 08-08-16, 10:31 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bman2723
Thanks for the Detailed DIY - It will help me tomorrow for my install - very well done !!
Thanks, post up here or PM me if you have any questions during your install.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
A+ on the DIY. It's now in the FAQ/DIY thread

Sounds like a resonator-delete (straight pipe) would do the trick to increase the volume.
Oh cool, glad to be of help! And yes, I do plan to get the mid-pipe soon...
Old 08-09-16, 05:55 AM
datpimp007
Rookie

Would you be interested in trading for my cat-back? Neighbors are giving me the stink eye every time I drive by!

Or is it possible to put my old resonator and midpipe back on and just go with the axle back?

Originally Posted by d8168055
Thanks, post up here or PM me if you have any questions during your install.

Oh cool, glad to be of help! And yes, I do plan to get the mid-pipe soon...
Old 08-09-16, 09:34 AM
d8168055
Pole Position

Originally Posted by datpimp007
Would you be interested in trading for my cat-back? Neighbors are giving me the stink eye every time I drive by!

Or is it possible to put my old resonator and midpipe back on and just go with the axle back?
Haha is really that much louder?? The OE midpipe with resonator is interchangeable with the APEXi pipe, so it will bolt right up.
Old 08-18-16, 07:06 PM
datpimp007
Rookie

@d8168055 it's growing on me. There are days where I'm like damn it's loud (mostly when my roommates here me starting the car) and other times like on freeway it's not so bad!

so question for you...did you end up putting on the Apexi vinyl decals or is that too cheesy/ricey?

Quick Reply: APEXi N1-X EVOLUTION EXTREME Install (axle-back)