NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-16, 11:23 AM
MidNiteSun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX - Questions

I'm new to Lexus so I need as much help as possible. I'm trading in my 2012 Acura TL due to airbag recall. I just don't want to wait 8 months to 2.5 yrs. I'm stuck driving a rental -Nissan Altima.

So Lexus is taking my Acura and I'm buying an NX. Here are my questions

1. Should I wait for 2017? My insurance company told me that 2016 NX would decrease my premium (from the Acura) but the 2017 would increase it. Weird.
2. I want the triple LED lights and the dealership told me they couldn't order me one unless it's a hybrid which in turn will cost me $52k for an NX.
3. They will only give me $20k for my trade in (I paid $45k for it). And $2k discount, after everything I will owe them around $25,500. Does that sound about right? I've never traded anything in before so I'm totally confused.

Thank you for all your help in advance!!!
Old 07-13-16, 11:33 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wait, you're trading in a car because it has a recall on it? Honda is giving you a rental car to beat on, while yours sits (tell them you want it to sit in YOUR garage), not getting any miles on it, and you want to get rid of it? Welp...your call.

1. An outgoing model year will always be cheaper, that's just how life works.

2. Your dealership is a bunch of idiots, find another dealer.

3. Yes, 20k is a little low, but could be reasonable. You took a 1/3 hit the minute you left the dealership. Then miles and condition will take it down further. You should be able to talk them into more, because my Camaro cost $45k as well in 2012, and I was offered $27k last month when I was working with a dealership on a possible RC-F purchase. My car is also spotless (to a mirror finish) with no rock chips and only 10k miles. So your number will decrease as the condition drops. However, with the outstanding recall, they are going to lowball you as they will not be able to turn the car around quickly.

My opinion, if you want the best deal, go to your Acura dealer. Tell them you can either stay a Loyal customer and they can "give you a deal to stick with Honda", or you want your car and you're going to Lexus. See if they bite and give you a good deal on a RDX or something.

FWIW, my Camaro has a recall against it on the keys magically shutting the car off, I have no intention on ever fulfilling it.
Old 07-13-16, 12:04 PM
MidNiteSun
Driver School Candidate

Well I was thinking about getting a new car anyway so I thought this was an opportunity- sort of.

I did go to my Acura dealership and they gave me even a lower trade in amount. They have sooo many trade-ins that they don't want anymore.

As of right now I'm just talking to them about it. I really don't want to stay with Acura that's why I'm looking at Lexus.
Old 07-13-16, 12:25 PM
MidNiteSun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
Wait, you're trading in a car because it has a recall on it? Honda is giving you a rental car to beat on, while yours sits (tell them you want it to sit in YOUR garage), not getting any miles on it, and you want to get rid of it? Welp...your call.

1. An outgoing model year will always be cheaper, that's just how life works.

2. Your dealership is a bunch of idiots, find another dealer.

3. Yes, 20k is a little low, but could be reasonable. You took a 1/3 hit the minute you left the dealership. Then miles and condition will take it down further. You should be able to talk them into more, because my Camaro cost $45k as well in 2012, and I was offered $27k last month when I was working with a dealership on a possible RC-F purchase. My car is also spotless (to a mirror finish) with no rock chips and only 10k miles. So your number will decrease as the condition drops. However, with the outstanding recall, they are going to lowball you as they will not be able to turn the car around quickly.

My opinion, if you want the best deal, go to your Acura dealer. Tell them you can either stay a Loyal customer and they can "give you a deal to stick with Honda", or you want your car and you're going to Lexus. See if they bite and give you a good deal on a RDX or something.

FWIW, my Camaro has a recall against it on the keys magically shutting the car off, I have no intention on ever fulfilling it.
Quick question - the trade in they offered you- was it in line with the blue book? They looked mine up and it was like $25-26k so they offered me $20k. Of course I didn't agree or anything but I thought it was as high as it could go. ???
Old 07-13-16, 12:44 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Blue Book is always an over-estimate. They will typically give you auction value to minimize their losses (auction is always significantly lower).

The KBB on my Camaro was like 24k, I got them to 27k (was told I could get $28k if I wanted), because it looks like this:

Name:  4F8D2C66-DE35-4F3F-922B-84DE722C3512_zpss0hbc4dm.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  250.0 KB

But keep in mind, they want to low ball you as much as possible, especially if its not their company and they know it will take time to either turn it around on their lot or the frustration of sending it to auction.

I would typically recommend you consider private party selling it, but with a recall on it, there won't be much interest :/

Good luck
Old 07-13-16, 04:00 PM
MidNiteSun
Driver School Candidate

Can you come with me to negotiate? LOL. Thanks for the advice
Old 07-15-16, 11:50 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Do you have a Carmax in your area? If so, bring the Acura there. They will give you a dollar amount they will buy the car for, which will will honor for 7(?) days, regardless of if you purchase from them. If nothing else, it'll give you an idea if the Lexus dealership is in-line with what you're being offered
Old 07-16-16, 07:09 PM
rubberduck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DanDevoe
Do you have a Carmax in your area? If so, bring the Acura there. They will give you a dollar amount they will buy the car for, which will will honor for 7(?) days, regardless of if you purchase from them. If nothing else, it'll give you an idea if the Lexus dealership is in-line with what you're being offered
That's exactly what I did - I went to a CarMax just nearby and got my car appraised for $8k - I didn't tell the dealership that I was trying to lease the car with that I had done that, but when we started talking about trade in value, I used that as leverage when they lowballed me on my trade in. You'll know if you're working with a bad sales person the moment they value your trade in.

The sales guy valued my trade in value 5k and I asked if I could get 8k, he laughed at me and looked like I was an idiot. Gave me the whole "Who would want to pay you that amount of money - we have to fix your car etc.." - It was a simple test for me if I could trust the person I was working with and he proved that he wasn't worth my time. I told him that I had gone to carmax that morning and showed him the check - he went behind to his manager and came back with $8.5k but it was too late - I had made up my mind that i wouldn't work with him.

I left and took my business elsewhere.
Old 07-18-16, 09:40 AM
dacommitte
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also used CarMax's offer on my trade in as leverage when purchasing my NX. I had 2015 CR-V EXL, very nice vehicle with amazing fuel mileage but it was just plain and boring so I wanted to upgrade. Lexus dealership only offered 21K for it and CarMax offered 23K for it. Showed Lexus the CarMax offer and they offered 23K for it as well.