NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2017 nx

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-16, 02:13 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

the NX300 was trademarked in another country, which most likely means the U.S. will get it too. it will probably put out 255 hp and 236 lb of torque. the touchpad is basically like a laptop if you just turn the feedback down, i think it works very well then with the RC & NX.
Old 07-18-16, 07:15 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

My NX's touchpad got so much easier to use once I did the following:

- Changed the flick to be at the longest setting
- Changed the scroll speed to the fastest setting
- Disabled the haptic feedback

The first two settings are only set by some "secret" motions and sequences (not via a visible menu choice on the display). To learn these secret settings, watch this video.
Old 07-18-16, 07:15 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinhead
Track pad is horrible and dangerous. By their logic, it must be safe to use a laptop or a phone while driving too, and people make fun of iDrive, those who spent 5 seconds trying and disregarding yet the best part of it is it doesn't require you to stare at the screen as to where the cursor is. I thought it would get easier over the months and it has a little bit but still requires me to take my eyes off the road for too long for it to be safe. Even if a split second, on the freeway that means an extra 30-40feet of braking distance before rear ending and causing an accident.

The Lexus trackpad is by far the worst system ever implemented to a car, honestly its a driving hazard.
Utter nonsense.

Both the Audi MMI and GM CUE systems, for example, are more opaque and convoluted. One often has to momentarily look away to operate any of the modern control systems and, consequently, one should use one of them only when and where it is safe to do so.
Old 07-18-16, 07:19 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
What is a spindle? I've always known it to be a part of a vehicle's suspension system.
As a Lexus owner I associate the spindle as the "spindle" grill design. In my reply I used the spindle word casually referring to the grill design. I'm sorry to assume, everyone here knows about what the spindle grill is. And sorry to assume one would be able to immediately associate/connect the word spindle to refer to the grill, because the Lexus grill design is known as the "spindle" grill. I should have added the word grill behind it to make it absolutely clear to some, so there would be no confusion with another car part. I do want to correct myself by saying Acura's Power Plenum grill design... Which has now been replaced with their diamond pentagon front grill in the MDX... Which means the RDX would probably get another facelift for 2018.
Old 07-18-16, 07:34 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I figured that's what you meant, but just in case there are n00bies in the crowd.
Old 07-18-16, 07:42 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a friend who is a Lexus tech and he said '17 NX will now come with LFA style gauges. I had those in my 3is and it was my favorite feature.
Old 07-19-16, 08:28 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kent2174
I love the touchpad and looks high tech vs a ****.
Agreed. I don't have a problem with it.
Old 07-19-16, 09:26 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by aztr0
As a Lexus owner I associate the spindle as the "spindle" grill design. In my reply I used the spindle word casually referring to the grill design. I'm sorry to assume, everyone here knows about what the spindle grill is. And sorry to assume one would be able to immediately associate/connect the word spindle to refer to the grill, because the Lexus grill design is known as the "spindle" grill. I should have added the word grill behind it to make it absolutely clear to some, so there would be no confusion with another car part. I do want to correct myself by saying Acura's Power Plenum grill design... Which has now been replaced with their diamond pentagon front grill in the MDX... Which means the RDX would probably get another facelift for 2018.
RDX will be replaced by something either inhouse acura or most likely based on the next gen CRV. With the new pilot being a straight pull from the MDX, I would figure that whatever the soon to launch re designed CRV looks like the RDX will closely resemble.
Old 07-19-16, 09:29 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koetsu
Utter nonsense.

Both the Audi MMI and GM CUE systems, for example, are more opaque and convoluted. One often has to momentarily look away to operate any of the modern control systems and, consequently, one should use one of them only when and where it is safe to do so.
Although entitled to your opinion, if you have time I suggest sitting in a new BMW with the newest iteration iDrive system (the new 7 is the only one) or any 5 series up vehicle Idrive (which is older but one generation older) and feel the system. The UI, the backend hardware, and the controller are laid out quite wlll and you will not be locked out or lost in that system.

The MMI is good with its connectivity, but the screen Is not widescreen so its ehhh.
The Command unit is still complicado to me.

Overall touchpad, remote touch, whatever Lexus is offering is basically outdated, slow, and lacks behind the competition for me.
Old 07-19-16, 09:31 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UtoyZ
I have a friend who is a Lexus tech and he said '17 NX will now come with LFA style gauges. I had those in my 3is and it was my favorite feature.
That would be interesting, and quite out of left field. Lexus tends to stay true on their first iteration of a model (3 year period of time). New gauge set would be nice, but also interesting. The NX300 or if they decide to offer a more powerful model, would only surface at the LCI/Mid Cycle Update in 18.
Old 07-19-16, 12:08 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Although entitled to your opinion, if you have time I suggest sitting in a new BMW with the newest iteration iDrive system (the new 7 is the only one) or any 5 series up vehicle Idrive (which is older but one generation older) and feel the system. The UI, the backend hardware, and the controller are laid out quite wlll and you will not be locked out or lost in that system.

The MMI is good with its connectivity, but the screen Is not widescreen so its ehhh.
The Command unit is still complicado to me.

Overall touchpad, remote touch, whatever Lexus is offering is basically outdated, slow, and lacks behind the competition for me.
In the past iDrive has not been an unalloyed bed of roses. To each their own, of course. However ....

"The Lexus trackpad is by far the worst system ever implemented to a car, honestly its a driving hazard."

is a completely unsubstantiated piece of hyperbole.
Old 07-19-16, 02:09 PM
dilanp13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait for this badboy. They'll do minor changes in the interior for sure to make sure they continue to grab market share. Have to compete with a redesigned GLC to boot.
Old 07-21-16, 03:18 PM
Futpurch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an opportunity to test one out at a special drive event in the Bay Area in 2015.

When I read the specs not having 8 speed transmission turned me off.

I hope they can get a better transmission next time around.
Old 07-22-16, 12:37 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Futpurch
I had an opportunity to test one out at a special drive event in the Bay Area in 2015.

When I read the specs not having 8 speed transmission turned me off.

I hope they can get a better transmission next time around.
As mentioned earlier...why would you want so many gears on such a small engine. Having those extra gears to bog down this small turbo-4 will only add lag for 1 or 2 mpg.
Old 07-22-16, 05:15 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinhead
why does everything think having extra gears = adding gears on the top end....
blows my mind people not knowing how final drive and gearing works. why don't we all go back to 4-speeds then, so much torque bla bla bla
more gears done correctly is always better, only penalty being drive-terrain loss and weight.
Just as an example my M3 was 7-DCT twin clutch and it only has a higher redline speed of 3mph at 208mph over the 6-MT 205mph with a much lower final drive.

Ive said it before, the NX would be much better with a 8-speed AT, not for the extra MPG because it won't really gain any, but it'll drive around town much better. The 6-speed is slugglish and shifts are more rough than the 8-speed in the RC and RX. The lexus 8-speed does hunt for gears a bit too much but I'll still take that over having 2 less cogs. Lexus should just cave and get with the program and use the zf-8 speed from the new 7-ers.
Driving an NX at an event opposed to driving it daily are two different things. If you read up on this car you would know that it was five years in the develop stage. The chief engineer mated the 6 speed auto to the 4 cylinder turbo and it is a perfect fit. There is minimal turbo lag if any at all. That was a must. The 8 speed constantly searched for the right gear to be in and would give you much more turbo lag.

The 8 speed auto was developed for better gas mileage to meet the epa standards. The NX in my opinion gets excellent gas mileage. Yes, it is the fwd version but still very good.

Quick Reply: 2017 nx