NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Dealership Sales Experience and Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-16, 02:03 PM
rubberduck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership Sales Experience and Question

This is going to be my first time leasing so bear with me.

So after test driving the NX today, I sat down with the sales consultant and the 'sales manager'. Right off the bat, the manager started asking me a bunch of questions about whether or not I was going to do a trade in (regular questions I guess).

1. I did say that the discussion regarding a trade in a vehicle at this point is not relevant to the discussion because I really don't know if I'm going to keep my vehicle or not.
2. I told him that I would probably will make a decision before the end of the month

The F-Sport AWD version I was looking at was MSRP'd @ $47k.
So he starts off with giving me the current Lexus special from the corporate website. Think its currently $329/month with 3,599 down @ $38,000. (comes up to ~ $350/month to match the 47k)

Combing through the NX Lease forum, I'm noticing that people seem to be getting about ~9-11% off the MSRP. The manager started to get visually irritated when I started asking about pricing off the MSRP and said that if he were to do it, it "It would have to be done TODAY". I explained that I was uncomfortable just signing something without taking a few days to think about it as its a ton of money involved. He actually asked why it would take me so long to think about it and I further on explained that I have yet to decide which car I was really going to get and pricing is important to me.

Anyway, I'm actually going to another Lexus dealership tomorrow ( my primary place where I service my car) to test drive the IS350 and the NX (again). They actually sent me a 'rewards' voucher for the $4k I spent on my IS250 last year (think its capped @ $3k).

Some questions:
1. How are people getting these good deals?
2. How does one negotiate down the MSRP?
3. Are all dealerships in a 'state' negotiating the same pricing with customers so it varies by region?

Perhaps some people with savvy negotiating skills can help me out here.
Old 06-24-16, 02:31 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinhead
key to getting a good deal is willingness to walk away and go to another dealership.
LOL! That's true. I spent quite some time in the salesperson's office when I bought my NX. I simply told him (them) that this is all I had to put down on the vehicle. That was it--my max. They went back and forth and left the office a few times, each time they would come back with a slightly lower price--only if I could come up a bit in my down payment. After a few rounds of this, I told them that I had spent way too much time there and was leaving. I gathered my paperwork, my iPad, etc., stood up and started to leave. They said, "wait" (and they left for quite a while). They finally came back with the same lower price (and monthly payment) and I didn't have to increase my down payment.

It takes patience and, as @Pinhead says, a willingness to walk. I came very close to walking out and going to another Lexus dealer.

In all fairness, I must admit that I felt that I "somewhat had them" because the day before, they didn't have exactly what I wanted, but they found one out in the desert (Palm Springs). My salesman ended up spending half a day driving a new Lexus out there and picked up my NX and drove back. When I threatened to walk, they turned to playing the "make me feel guilty" card, saying that he spent half the day away from the office for me, yadda, yadda...
Old 06-24-16, 08:44 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
Burn in hell, car salesmen.
@kitabel, it's a bit difficult to read you. Can you tell us how you really feel?

Last edited by NXOwner; 06-24-16 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-24-16, 09:04 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
key to getting a good deal is willingness to walk away
Assume they are pathological liars, who know nothing about their own product (and don't believe you do either) who will say anything you want to hear, but not put it in the contract.
My last purchase: a "Genuine Certified Used Toyota" from a big dealership, which I foolishly didn't inspect (NY has lemon laws).
Results:
Dead battery the next morning
No spare tire at all
2nd set of keys (promised on their web site)? "Prove it".

Things to watch for on a trade: "What would you say if I offered you $10,000 for your car?", and when you say "yes" you're asked to sign the contract with the trade-in value blank. "Oops, the girl forgot to put that in, don't worry about it". When it's done, the trade-in is $1,000.
Been there, done that.

Burn in hell, car salesmen.
I'm a salesman and I can tell you customers play way more games than we do. In fact, it is customer who initiate all the crap.

But here's how to get a good deal.
Be patient. Telling the salesman you don't have time to play games only inflames the attitudes of all involved.
Be tough but never rude or nasty.
Be willing to walk but don't use it as a weapon. Use it as a tactic.
Be reasonable, give a little. You'll find them willing to go lower than they want if they see you're willing to go just a little above your threatened price.
Be ready to deal if the price is right. Sales people are willing to play the game if they know it will end in a sale. They don't believe you will come back.
Take a time out. If you came with someone, ask to have private time to talk. If alone, ask for time to make a call. This works well in negotiations.
If you didn't eat before getting there, take time out to eat if you're hungry. Allowing hunger to linger doesn't help negotiations. I've order pizza or chinese many times and it works.

Have fun and enjoy.

Last edited by Ice350; 06-24-16 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-24-16, 10:44 PM
akaido
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Browse the dealer website to see what color/options they have in stock. Note the options and sticker price/MSRP. Make sure they dont have dealer mark ups. I hate dealers that still put dealer markup. Go to your local dealers to test drive. Once you're ready to buy and know what car and options, go to Edmunds.com or Truecar and use their Price Promise feature and throw the car you want into the ring and see what the dealers around you have to offer. NOTE: This is often and most likely NOT the lowest price dealers will sell at. There are many variables here but in general comb the Price paid thread for what others got in your regional area. In my case in the San Francisco Bay area it is 10-14% ish back in April 2016. So I target and not accept anything less than 10% off MSRP - 14% off for cars on the dealer's lot; mine is about 14.5% off MSRP(including a $500 voucher when financed with Lexus financial - and you can pay off after 3 months to avoid interest).

Within minutes you will have several offers from dealers you inquire thru Edmunds. Then the fun begins. You use the $xxxx off MSRP from these email offers as your starting point. You will get follow up emails from them. You dont have to put in your real phone number in case you dont want them to call you. At this time, take the time to email the INTERNET Manager at all dealers in the area you are willing to commute to pickup your car. DO NOT talk to a regular sales person.

In your email to them tell them you are ready and done your research and is looking to buy when price is right. Some dealers will still play game, same will give you a low discount, some may give you the discount as in Edmunds or truecar. Tell them you are a auto enthusiast and often comb thru the forums and is looking for a better discount than what they are offering thru Edmunds.... Some will come back with 10% off some may not reply but one or two may give you 12-14% off. Depending on market conditions you will find a dealer willing to part with the car at your target discount %. This will of course depends on how many Lexus dealers you have in your area, incentives, dealer trunk money and other factors...

I purchased a 2015 MB C300 last yr at 18% off MSRP and the 2016 NX at 14.5% off MSRP this April doing the above. I found that emailing them early in the week will get their attention and when near weekend they will often want your business and come close and agree on your target %. They will try to get you to come in BUT DO NOT do so til you get a price quote in writing in email. DO NOT let them pressure you by telling BS like price only good for today if you come in. Do NOT let them tell you the car is selling Hot and not be there when you are ready. You are in control.

Make sure to get a price quote in email and ask about doc fee and make sure no addons or surprise on sticker.
When the deal is done over email, go to dealer to test drive the NX and look over the car. You will have a much better dealer experience.

There are many systems for purchasing a car, and I've tried many, but this one always works for me.
hth
Old 06-25-16, 08:26 AM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd say, don't budge on your price you want to pay (with in reason of course). None of that "meet you in the middle" BS, just stick with your price. Took me like 2 hours or so and they just kept getting lower and lower until they met my price. They will give you all kinds of stories about how they wont make any money, or the sales ppl would make less commission, but you know your money the best, don't let them make that decision for you.

Be polite and respectful, and don't get up and leave because they don't meet your price. In my case, it was getting late (almost around 9pm) and I was getting tired from a long day's work. I told them I would come back tomorrow after some sleep, but eventually they gave in to the price I offered, and I signed some papers. I picked up the car the next day.

That's my experience, good luck.
Old 06-27-16, 04:51 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

I visited a Lexus dealer, very close to my house, a very large dealership. Wife and I told the salesperson what we were looking for and what our budget is. We also let him know what other vehicles we had looked at, what we liked and did not like about them.
After an hour or so it became obvious that he was not listening to us, would not address costs and when we asked to see an NX F sport in either black or Atomic Silver with a black interior he came back with a Red NX with tan interior base model and said this is the only vehicle that would be even close to our budget.

After the test drive he had a dumb look on his face when I told him Thanks for the time, I don't case for the vehicle.

We ended up buying an Atomic Silver, NX F sport, black interior from another dealer at the price I wanted to pay. The only hiccup was that the second dealer did not have the NX in stock, had to trade with the first dealer to get it.
Old 06-27-16, 06:06 AM
JAS300
Driver School Candidate

I was shopping for a used IS250 CPO but end up bought a new 2016 NX200t with ~11% off. The sales manager was very straight forward. Given to road condition in NE, I think it is a better choice.
Old 06-27-16, 04:01 PM
rubberduck
Driver School Candidate

Been using all the tips here to put something together. Headed to the dealership soon after using Edmunds to get some prices. No one here seems to want to do email correspondence (sent out a bunch of replies but no one bit) for pricing.

Ok - so here is the situation. I'm looking to lease I guess because I'm not sure if I'll like the NX enough after 3 years to buy it. I drive about 13.5k miles a year on average so I'm looking at probably a 15k/year 36 month lease.

1. I have a car to trade in. Should I use that amount for as way to pay down the lease? Or should I sell it to Car Max as I have a cert for the next 7 days?
2. I also have a $4k voucher (service) and I can use it towards the purchase but at a different dealership. The one I'm going to visit told me to bring that along so we can 'work on it'. This dealership quoted me about 7% off and emailed me back saying they're going to want to be more aggressive if I came in.

Note: This is in Massachusetts (not California where we've seen 11%+ off)
Old 06-28-16, 07:54 AM
rubberduck
Driver School Candidate

Hi Everybody - here is an update.
I want to thank you all for all the tips given here and I was able to use them in my negotiations on landing a new NX200t F-Sport.