NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Oil Temperature ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 02:35 PM
dvdmull
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Temperature ?

So far I have 1800 miles on the clock on my 2016 F Sport. Was noticing on center screen on the turbo display selection it shows the oil pressure on lower left side and oil temperature on lower right side of the turbo display. I'm curious at what temperature are other NX's running at? Mine seems to be between 100F and 150F. I'm mostly in stop and go traffic so far with a/c on. 80 and 90 degree weather.

Thanks
Old 05-18-16, 10:18 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I promise you that oil temperature is higher than that. It should be sitting closer to 150-180.
Old 05-19-16, 08:11 AM
rayzer57
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a dual-purpose car, engine oil needs to be at least 220 degrees F to burn off all the deposits and accumulated water vapor. For every pound of fuel burned in an engine, the combustion process also generates a pound of water! If engine sump temperatures rarely exceed 212 degrees (water’s boiling point), the water will mix with sulfur (another combustion by-product) and create acids that can eventually damage bearings.

As for ultimate power potential, the general consensus among most racers is that hot oil and cool water make more power in most engines. Cold engine oil causes excessive frictional drag on the bearings and cylinder walls. A quality conventional motor oil will tolerate oil sump temperatures of up to 250 degrees, but starts breaking down over 275 degrees. The traditional approach is to try to hold oil temperatures between 230 and 260 degrees. Even on a short-duration, drag-only combo where oil is frequently changed, I would not want to routinely see under-200-degree oil temps.

A full-synthetic oil will withstand sump temperatures in excess of 300 degrees, and for hard-core professional racing, some oval-track race teams are experimenting with ultra-thin, specially formulated, race-only synthetics operating at 350 degrees or even higher.

Also remember that a high-end engine is built as a total combination. Piston-to-wall clearances, piston ring end-gaps, and bearing clearances are specifically tailored to match the engine oil’s characteristics and intended operating temperature.
Old 05-21-16, 09:41 AM
dvdmull
Driver School Candidate

Default Reached 200F

So after driving to work in sport mode I got it up close to 200F. So it must be working normal. Must have to drive little more aggressive. Like I mentioned with just 1800 pampered miles I guess Im ready to open it up more often. I haven't had it over 50mph yet, all city driving. Just overly concerned about the little 4 cylinder losing power if it's not broken in right. Thanks for insight and your posts.

See in the bottom right it's almost at 210F
Old 05-23-16, 12:27 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the reason for the recommended turbo cool down, before turning off the car. It gives the engine, radiator, and intercooler some time to lower the oil temp, so it doesn't damage the motor or turbo in the long run. I can't remember what the manual calls for, but it's something like 15-30 seconds in city driving with minimal turbo boosting, and 3 minutes if you're doing sustained speeds of over 70mph with moderate to heavy boost. The turbocharger itself can reach temps of 1500 degrees when boosting, so the thought process is to give the car a couple of minutes to allow the intercooler and rad to do their jobs, and bring it back down into a normal operating range before it shuts off.

As long as you're not beating the snot out of the NX, and then turning it off right away, I really wouldn't worry too much.
Old 05-26-16, 09:07 AM
rayzer57
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvdmull
So after driving to work in sport mode I got it up close to 200F. So it must be working normal. Must have to drive little more aggressive. Like I mentioned with just 1800 pampered miles I guess Im ready to open it up more often. I haven't had it over 50mph yet, all city driving. Just overly concerned about the little 4 cylinder losing power if it's not broken in right. Thanks for insight and your posts.

See in the bottom right it's almost at 210F
Temperature readings you indicated are normal. From what I read, you are doing all the right things to break in an engine. Just take it easy driving when you start the car, and try to avoid any full throttle runs until the engine is up to full operating temperatures.
Another indication to ensure your oil is at optimum operating condition is the oil pressure. High oil pressure is an indication that the oil is thick, and generates resistance of flow, thus resulting in high oil pressures. When the oil reaches is ideal temperature, the oil flows much easier throughout the engine and thus the oil pressure drops. High oil pressure is really not a good thing, instead, what is best is to have oil flow faster, with less resistance thru the engine. It is the thin film of oil that gets between the two mechanical surfaces that protects the engine from wear. Oil also conducts the heat from these metal parts so the faster the oil flows thru an engine the better it will keep the oil temperatures low. People that don't truly understand internal combustion engine principles think that using a higher oil viscosity will protect their engines better, but what they are doing is just the contrary. Increasing the viscosity, or using thicker oil, increases oil flow resistance, thus increase oil pressure. This restriction to flow is not what the engine is design to handle and will cause issues down the road.

Keep driving your car as it is intended, used the proper oil grade indicated by the manufacturer. Let the engine fully warm up as I mentioned before you want to experience full throttle acceleration. excessive wear.
Old 05-30-16, 10:28 AM
dvdmull
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for comments !!!